View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
A quick Northamericanmotoring search yields dealer prices of ~$300 vs. ~$100 from car parts stores. But it also mentions something about the dealer having to reset the car's computer so that it knows it has a new battery as it can affect power mangement or something like that. Others say they did a simple swap with no issues.

Anyone know anything about this?

Battery can barely hold a charge after a long drive so we are not using it right now.

Mini dealership is annoyingly far, even if I could get past the steep price (which I can't right now). I'd have to see hard evidence of damage from aftermarket batteries before I drive that far and fork that kind of dough for a battery.
That same issue ("registering" the car's battery) has come up on the E60 boards. I have no idea whether there's anything to it--as with NAM, some people swear up and down that there's no issue, and others claim to have all manner of battery problems if they don't do it.

I am not an EE, but the whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Batteries wear and die at different rates depending on conditions. Why would you design a system that charged a battery differently based solely on time? Is there a concept here that I'm missing?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote