View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #32
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Splitting doesn't do much good. You have to take out a significant fraction of the interior no matter how many pieces the cable is in. Honestly, a clutch is less work.
That is truly bizarre. On the E46 wagon (which has a lot more trim in the trunk than sedans / convertibles), I can get all the trunk trim off one side in 15 minutes or so. The wheel well covers between the rear seats and the doors pop off, with the harness under there. Then it's a simple matter to pop off the door sills and lift the carpet back to expose the harness. That gets you all the way up to the A pillar. The glove box is a PITA on the E46, but that's mostly to get it lined up when reinstalling it. Then it's a simple shot through the firewall to the jumper cable stud.

Did they really regress that much on the E6x?

I suppose it is possible - I once poked around a bit in a pre-production 6er and the spare tire well in the trunk had a styrofoam insert with the usual massive BMW fuse box and other stuff in there. No idea if that was just pre-production or if it carried over into series production, though.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote