View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Not sure I understand the 4 cyl. hate. In a heavy car, they can be overworked, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a properly powerful 4. They're loud and thrashy compared to a six, but to coin a phrase "that's how you know it's working." I'm perfectly OK with a bit of engine noise in my cars.

I haven't driven the new BMW 2.0L yet, but the numbers that it put up in that Edmunds comparo vis a vis the old N/A 3.0L were very impressive, and you can't argue with the weight savings.

VW's 200 hp DFI four has been around long enough that it seems like ancient tech these days, and it's being routinely outgunned by newer engines. Still, I remember having that engine in a 3600 (?) lb Audi and being pleased with its performance everywhere other than at highway speeds in the mountains.
Eh, Plaz is still in his honeymoon period, he's like the guy who said he'd never get married nor would ever have kids, then you see him at a party and he can't stop telling you how great his wife is (even though you know she's the chick who, a few years before, did all the drummers), or how having a three-year-old has transformed him in a way "you can't understand" .. unless you have kids yourself - ....
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote