Thread: Drove the new 5
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Crazy? Yes.... but those customers are probably crazy too. They must have just checked every box on the list. For comparison, this is a nicely equipped 535i at $63k MSRP. To get to $70k+ you need to check all the "waste of money" electronic gadgets (night vision, active steering, active cruise, heads up display, electronic trunk closer, lane departure warning, blind spot camera, you are too old to drive detector, etc.) The package options are below... everything checked is included in the $63k price.

For comparison, a close friend had a 2008 535i that was about $61k new 3 years ago and it did not have premium sound, sunshades, sat radio, PDC, or rear-view camera. The 2011 is actually a slightly better value overall.
A stick in a 550 seems silly to me, reminds me of the old george gobel line about wearing tennis shoes with your tux. Yeah, I know, a lot of guys in their 30's buy old 7's and stick manuals in them - do I understand why? No, not a clue.

As for the "too old to drive" options, a couple of them have appeal to me: the heads up display is especially nice as my near-sightedness makes looking at the displays, then the road a more difficult adjustment at night.

In general though, as BMW's get heavier, larger and more luxurious, I'm becoming less interested in them - I think Lemming bought the best of the new bimmers.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote