View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
JST

As much as I dislike the new 6 (and I really, really do), I think you guys are underestimating the market a bit.

Compared to each of the cars that you mention, the 6 has a value proposition. It may not be compelling to you, but I'm sure that there are some folks out there for whom the 6 fits the bill in a way that none of the other cars do.

E.g.:

1. jaguar XKR--645 can be had with a 6 speed or SMG--XKR is auto only. XKR is built on an ancient platform, and while still a gorgeous car, is getting a bit long in tooth. I'm sure that the 6 will be a nicer driver.

2. CLK500 and/or AMB CLK55--These are probably the closest, but these "tweener" Mercedes are more traditionally compared to the M3. They also can't be had with a stick.

3. porsche 911--The 645 offers a lot more space; if you occasionally need to carry 3 adults, a 6 will work, but a 911 really won't. As bad as the BMW stigma is, the Porsche stigma is worse.

4. cadillac XLR--Only two seats, no stick, unknown suburban snob factor. Will this car be parked in front of the restaurant by the valets? The 6 probably will.

5. BMW E60 M5--Four doors. Some people, for reasons known only to Zeus, like 2 doors. If that weren't true, BMW wouldn't sell any 330/325Cis.

Honestly, as I've said before, the closest competitor I see to the 645 is the M3, and as (maybe pdz) pointed out, the M3 has a younger image than the 6.

For the older, wealthier enthusiast who (inexplicably) likes the 6er styling and wants to assert his midlife crisis by ordering a coupe, the 6 is a good choice. It fills a nice that is presently occupied only by something much more expensive (e.g., the AM DB7 and DB9) or much cheaper (the GTO, the 330).

But it sure is ugly.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote