View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, Ed. Sometimes, yes. Here, no. I honestly wanted to know what other cars Roadstergal was talking about, since she didn't name any specifics.

Maybe to you and I, a Corvette SS with 800 bazillion horsepower is stupid. I certainly don't want to own one, and I have really no interest in driving one. But to someone, that might be the ultimate car.

You said people were "horsepower obsessed," referenced the MZ4, and said it (where it = the desire for more power) was stupid. I don't want an MZ4 for a number of reasons, but I can understand where BMW was going with that car. They had a motor that fit in arguably their most capable chassis, and they married the two. Whether the end result is equal to the sum of the parts is arguable; however wanting more power isn't "stupid" in and of itself. It's personal preference. I would love to have another 50hp/50ft-lbs in my car if it didn't add much (or any) weight. The chassis could easily handle it. Is that stupid? I don't think so. I wouldn't have to use all of it all the time but to me it would make me like the car even more.

Be careful making sweeping generalizations relating feelings of inadequacy to car choice. I'm sure there are plenty of well-endowed Z06 and Viper owners out there who just love the feeling of being shoved back into the seat. It is not what you and I (and RGal) value most, but that doesn't make it stupid.
In fairness, americans have always favored the trend towards more HP; when I was a kid there were plenty of desirable sports cars one could buy: Fiats, Triumphs, MGB's etc. these were awesome cars (if built like junk) that were fun to drive in a way many people have never experienced - I think I like the Miata so much because it comes the closest.

Yet, it was the muscle car (and pony cars) that won out - awful chassis and brake combinations in poorly built pedestrian cars with huge power.

I think BMW succumbed to marketing pressure with the Mz4, my old car, with its 225hp 3.0 six, that got 24 mpg around town, with an automatic, could do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. That was a dream number even for a muscle car back in the 60's - now it's not "fast" enough, it needs to be a sub 5 second number. At the expense of handling, too, the M is heavier, has poorer weight distribution and is slower around the skidpad.

I bet if BMW wanted to make the Z4 even better, all they needed to do was slip the LSD into the standard car, perhaps ditch the rf's and go back to hydraulic assist for the steering and bingo, best Z4 ever.......but nooooooo.

Where does it end? When will will, as Rgal calls them, the doofusses require sub 4 second, then Sub 3 seconds times? And for what purpose, so they can boast about it online or at the local meet and greet?

What about handling, braking, shift and clutch feel, lighter weight and a raft of other more important improvements? Are these things being compromised in the name of more power?

I stand by my not so "sweeping generalization" on this one, escalating HP is a dumb trend and if Mazda hadn't crippled the NC Miata with an SUV-like ride height, I'd have one as a third car, so excellent is the basic formula.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote