View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I circumvented the issue on my '01. It involved drilling a hole in the clutch arm and putting a bolt through that would depress the switch earleir than the arm itself would.
Sometime thereafter cars no longer came with that pressure switch. There must still be a switch of course, but it is not easily accessible to fiddle with. The concensus as I remember it, was to install the clutch so that it would just barely allow the car to start and learn to live with whatever extra slop.

I would no tbe surprised AT ALL if the amount of travel required to activate the switch varies considerably from car to car since, from a design POV, given the long clutch pedal travel, allowing a sloppy margin could make assembly easier. After all, since they did not design for a cluch stop, the understanding is that the driver will simply push the clutch in all the way. In OEM form, that would work even if there were a varaince of over 1" in the travel required to activate the switch.

FWIW, it's not as if my clutch stop doesn't help. It does help tremendously. It's just not perfect. But I am still very glad I have it.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote