View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
The last bit really punted us up the mountain further where the snow piled up a little deeper. There was a good solid 6" at this point as we scambled up the last 200 feet to perch on a ridge back for a bit admiring the, um, clouds.

Last bit of the 311 burried under 6" of snow.

Admiring the cloud we were in at the top of the 311

Ready for more we headed out along some snow covered gravel roads toward the down-hill end of the 197 trail. Along the way we came across a lone Cherokee out with some young kids. And at the trail head to the 197 we talked to another Jeeper beside a road barrier. Aparently some dorks had been up the night before, drinking, and rolled their Dodge pick-up truck off the road and down a 120 ft slope. A tow truck was tring to winch it up the hill but the cable snapped on its 15,000 lb. winch and snapped an 8" tree in half. A reminder winching operations need to be handled carefully and thoughtfully.

Up the 197 we went. The trail got steeper, rockier, and in parts piled with more snow before it ducked into the trees again. The 197 is a fun trail with very tight, off-camber section threading between massive felled logs. At the top the trail plateaus out in a "tank trap," a long trench so named because of their resemblence to tank traps from WWII.

Micah lost traction trying to get around this stump. The trails change from
year to year.

I backed my Jeep down and threw him the end of a tow strap. A gentle tug
was all he needed to find more traction.

My Jeep parked at the top of the 197 as I walked back down the trail to
check on how things were coing.

Dana working his way down into the tank trap at the top of the 197.

Piloting my own Jeep through the tank trap I work to avoid the trees. They
aren't as pliable and forgiving as cones in a parking lot autocross course.

Beyond this the 197 met up with another trail and we headed further up the mountain to what I call The Intersection. Here 4 trails come together at one of the higher points in the park. Taking a different route down we came upon a washed out roadway. It was marginally possible as two Toyotas proved (from the other side) but due to the seemingly unstable condition we opted to stay on our side and just enjoy what trails we could.

At the top is "The Intersection" where 4 trails come together. This tank trap
is part of the connection route.

Over time it's been cut down a bit into the surround forest floor.

One of the roads had a wash out. The two Toyota guys passed it but we opted
for the better part of vallor and hit some different trails.

Before long the day was growing dark as we made our way down off the mountain again. It was a long day over some sloppy, snow covered trails with a good group of Jeepers.

Can't wait to do it again!
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote