carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Clarkson return his GT (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=4955)

rumatt 07-08-2005 08:42 AM

Clarkson return his GT

Link from 'fest.

Sorry, Ford, I have to ask for my money back

blee 07-08-2005 09:35 AM

So Clarkson's beef with the car has nothing to do with the actual car's reliability, but with a third-party alarm installation that was obviously botched? I expected to read about some kind of horrible suspension failure, or maybe an engine issue. Still sucks, though.

bren 07-08-2005 09:36 AM

"...I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will."

So he doesn't think being famous had anything to do with Ford taking the car back? :?

FC 07-08-2005 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren
"...I have never profited from my position as a motoring journalist. And I never will."

So he doesn't think being famous had anything to do with Ford taking the car back? :?

Exactly! :lol:

...or the DB9 loaner. Because, you know, any of us would get that treatment. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am with blee on this one. What a sissy. His dream car of 35 years and returns it for a faulty alram? :rolleyes: Dude, rip it out! Who gives a f***?! Pay some shitty garage to disable it for good and install lo-jack ro whatever. Jackass. :flame:

Nick M3 07-08-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee
So Clarkson's beef with the car has nothing to do with the actual car's reliability, but with a third-party alarm installation that was obviously botched? I expected to read about some kind of horrible suspension failure, or maybe an engine issue. Still sucks, though.

The alarm is OEM. The "aftermarket" part was sarcasm. ...and frankly, I think suspension failure, or engine problems would be less annoying.

ff 07-08-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3
...and frankly, I think suspension failure, or engine problems would be less annoying.

I agree. At least with a suspension failure, the problem could be easily rectified by popping out a few bolts, and replacing the part. No extensive electrical system diagnostic tests, or hours spent tracking down the gremlin.

SCA 07-08-2005 11:36 AM

Hmm...no comment re: Ford.

Plaz 07-08-2005 11:36 AM

What a poseur. :bigpimp:

Jason C 07-08-2005 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz
What a poseur. :bigpimp:

Should have gotten a hopped-up VW with a hole in the roof. :)

(Amazingly, he had not a single comment about this anytime during last Sunday's show)

blee 07-08-2005 11:46 AM

I doubt that a U.S.-spec alarm system would be fully operable in the UK, so it sounds like it was installed in all of the 28 UK cars by Roush or Ford UK or something. What a great way to ruin a car like that. :rolleyes:

What was that about British engineering again?