carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Argh! The new M340 Touring We Can't Buy (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158612)

wdc330i 06-18-2019 05:21 PM

Argh! The new M340 Touring We Can't Buy

https://bimmerlife.com/2019/06/15/ch...tm_name=member

Jeff_DML 06-18-2019 05:27 PM

teal looks terrible but the grey looks hot

nate 06-18-2019 05:31 PM

That's pretty cool. Assume no manual though.

Yesterday I saw an E63S AMG Wagon. Now that's an amazing wagon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...n-test-review/

wdc330i 06-18-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 549505)
That's pretty cool. Assume no manual though.

Yesterday I saw an E63S AMG Wagon. Now that's an amazing wagon.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...n-test-review/

I've always has a hankering for one of those. But, I have to admit the E-Class wagons are all a little too big for my tastes.

John V 06-19-2019 05:35 AM

https://i.redd.it/m5rfx6h6pxj21.jpg

equ 06-19-2019 09:35 AM

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1560326947

wdc330i 06-19-2019 09:41 AM

LOL. I do hate the new grille aesthetics.

Nick M3 06-19-2019 09:43 AM

As a corollary, I don’t understand the new tiny headlights aesthetic, either. With the E30 for scale, you can see how small they are....

robg 06-19-2019 01:28 PM

The wagon looks much better than the sedan, though I"m still not a fan of the aesthetics. The side reminds me a bit of the Volvo V60 wagon- which I think is probably the best looking wagon in that segment. Still, if they brought an M340 wagon to the US, i'd buy it. On that note, I never understood why they chose to bring both the 4 cyl diesel and gas engines with the F30 generation but not the 6 turbo. Wagon buyers already had to pay a sizable premium over an equivalent x3, so I'm sure they'd have sold equally as much (maybe more) had they only offered the 6.

wdc330i 06-19-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 549522)
The wagon looks much better than the sedan, though I"m still not a fan of the aesthetics. The side reminds me a bit of the Volvo V60 wagon- which I think is probably the best looking wagon in that segment. Still, if they brought an M340 wagon to the US, i'd buy it. On that note, I never understood why they chose to bring both the 4 cyl diesel and gas engines with the F30 generation but not the 6 turbo. Wagon buyers already had to pay a sizable premium over an equivalent x3, so I'm sure they'd have sold equally as much (maybe more) had they only offered the 6.

Agreed. They've always been so stingy on the wagon engines. The E91 was the last 3 series wagon to get a decent engine, but it was a bit underpowered.

JST 06-19-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 549518)
As a corollary, I don’t understand the new tiny headlights aesthetic, either. With the E30 for scale, you can see how small they are....

https://media3.giphy.com/media/cFgb5p5e1My3K/giphy.gif

kognito 06-19-2019 05:30 PM

I still like the looks of the Buick Regal Tour X

Really should test drive one someday

ZBB 06-19-2019 06:41 PM

I’m in Portugal this week...

Keep seeing all the cars we can’t get. It’s crazy. I’d say well under 10% have a trunk. Doesn’t matter if most were tiny. Nearly all 3 series I saw were wagons. Same goes for mb C class and A4s...

(And don’t ask me about my rental car. Let’s just say it was only kinda European...)

robg 06-20-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 549545)

Yeah I'm kind of intrigued as well atleast by the v6 version. Sat in one at the NY auto show- seemed pretty nice. I think ZBB got the hatch version as a rental car at some point during his whole Model 3 repair saga.

wdc330i 06-20-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 549545)

Wow. It's even longer than the E450 wagon.

FC 06-20-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 549580)
Wow. It's even longer than the E450 wagon.

That's crazy.

Speaking of huge cars, the president of my company just got an M550i, and that thing is HUGE. He parks it close to and sometimes next to my car and it is just crazy big for being a 5er.

robg 06-20-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 549582)
That's crazy.

Speaking of huge cars, the president of my company just got an M550i, and that thing is HUGE. He parks it close to and sometimes next to my car and it is just crazy big for being a 5er.

Hmm- I see current gen 5 series fairly often and they don’t seem that much bigger than the previous gen f10. Still haven’t really warmed up to the looks though

Alan 06-20-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 549583)
Hmm- I see current gen 5 series fairly often and they don’t seem that much bigger than the previous gen f10. Still haven’t really warmed up to the looks though

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 549582)
That's crazy.

I have to admit my 540 is pretty big, I notice it most when parking in my garage it takes up A LOT of space. Fortunately it does not drive like a big car.

As far as the looks, while I am tired of the F10 I still think when I see one with the M sport package that they gave that car a sportier and better look. I really don't think my car is good looking ... maybe when they refresh it they will change the wheels and give it a better look.

Also I think BMW should have done a better job on the back of the car. It just looks so plain and very similar to the outgoing model ... again maybe the refresh will improve it.

robg 06-20-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 549585)
I have to admit my 540 is pretty big, I notice it most when parking in my garage it takes up A LOT of space. Fortunately it does not drive like a big car.

As far as the looks, while I am tired of the F10 I still think when I see one with the M sport package that they gave that car a sportier and better look. I really don't think my car is good looking ... maybe when they refresh it they will change the wheels and give it a better look.

Also I think BMW should have done a better job on the back of the car. It just looks so plain and very similar to the outgoing model ... again maybe the refresh will improve it.

Agree- there's still something nice about an F10 with Msport. I'm ok with the looks of the current model with the right wheels in a dark color but you're right that they need to improve the back of it. Not crazy about the silver/gold colored mirrors on the M550 (although that goes for the whole M performance lineup).

Just looked up the length- wikipedia lists 194.3 for the current one and 193.3 for the F10 so it only got 1" longer. (and, yes, that's what she said)

What do you think of the new A6? I really like what they did w/ the styling of it.

wdc330i 06-20-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 549593)
Agree- there's still something nice about an F10 with Msport. I'm ok with the looks of the current model with the right wheels in a dark color but you're right that they need to improve the back of it. Not crazy about the silver/gold colored mirrors on the M550 (although that goes for the whole M performance lineup).

Just looked up the length- wikipedia lists 194.3 for the current one and 193.3 for the F10 so it only got 1" longer. (and, yes, that's what she said)

What do you think of the new A6? I really like what they did w/ the styling of it.

That’s huge, too. I guess I’m just a small car person. Had to go down to the 2 series to stay in E46 size territory.

equ 06-20-2019 10:15 PM

I do think the f10 is a bit too large, but it looks better than its successor.

The f30 doesn't look that great up front with its squish-face, but it's just the right size; almost the same width as an e39, a few inches shorter (and the trunk pays for that more than the back seat).

Alan 06-20-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 549593)

I’ve only seen a few when they were driving by and I think they look really good. I did also check one out at the dealer showroom briefly when I brought my daughters car in for service and it looks beautiful... they definitely took the car up a notch.

I loved my previous generation A6 and am looking forward to trying one out when my lease is up on my 540 in a year and a half.

JST 06-20-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 549598)
I do think the f10 is a bit too large, but it looks better than its successor.

The f30 doesn't look that great up front with its squish-face, but it's just the right size; almost the same width as an e39, a few inches shorter (and the trunk pays for that more than the back seat).

Yeah, the F30/80 is a pretty nice size. I don't think I'd want a bigger external envelope, but it's pretty roomy inside. There's a particular view of the A pillar on the passenger side from the driver's seat that feels old-school BMW in its uprightness, too, but maybe that's just compared to the Tesla.