carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 or Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS ?? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=160098)

3LOU5 11-18-2022 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 585920)
I might try the DWS on our minivan.

She's almost due for new shoes. They say the Cross Climate is one of the best tires, and I might try those instead.

And yup, they're MIchelins as well, lol.

I ended up buying a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3 instead of the Michelin Cross Climates for our Sienna.

So much for that idea, lol.

I'll probably put the new version of Contis DWS 06 on my E46 instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, as originally planned. Never tried Contis before, and so far, all I've heard are good things about them.

This will probably occur early next spring, and will resort to driving my 1/2-ton shod with BFG All-Terrain KO2s when the weather turns sour.

3LOU5 11-18-2022 07:33 PM

I really enjoy all the tire reviews of this YouTuber, such as this:

https://youtu.be/NiZNM-EXd3I

wdc330i 11-18-2022 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 592353)
I really enjoy all the tire reviews of this YouTuber, such as this:

https://youtu.be/NiZNM-EXd3I

Yep. Watched a bunch of those. Getting my Michelin All Season 4s put on this week.

In the 20s overnight here these days; which means the same in the am when I schlep the kid to school. Luckily no precip at the same time yet.

How about Buffalo, though? OMG!

3LOU5 11-18-2022 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592354)
Yep. Watched a bunch of those. Getting my Michelin All Season 4s put on this week.

In the 20s overnight here these days; which means the same in the am when I schlep the kid to school. Luckily no precip at the same time yet.

That’s when you pull out your snowmobiles (called “sleds” out here).

wdc330i 11-18-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 592358)
That’s when you pull out your snowmobiles (called “sleds” out here).

For 6 feet!!!!

3LOU5 11-19-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592359)
For 6 feet!!!!

Eh, that's nothing.

Many use them here in the backcountry where the snow is a lot deeper than 6 feet. They just have to either change out the front skids to something wider for better float above the snow and the tracks with longer "paddles" for added traction.

They just need access to their garage to get their sleds out ........ which is often buried in the white stuff.

:lol: :lol:

wdc330i 11-28-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592354)

Michelin all reasons are on the car. Still in break-in, but so far, so good. I kept the summers, as they only have about 3k miles on them. Nice to have a spare set, as this size seems a bit tough to find.

Edit: and actually one of the summers is new, as the shop damaged one in the swap.

Alan 11-28-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592520)
Michelin all reasons are on the car. Still in break-in, but so far, so good. I kept the summers, as they only have about 3k miles on them. Nice to have a spare set, as this size seems a bit tough to find.

Edit: and actually one of the summers is new, as the shop damaged one in the swap.

Cool, looking forward to hear how you like them in time, something tells me these tires will be the best decision you made.

wdc330i 11-28-2022 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 592523)
Cool, looking forward to hear how you like them in time, something tells me these tires will be the best decision you made.

Thanks, Alan. I am a veteran of previous variations of these tires—all the way back to my E46 330i and M3. They really are great.

Best is the Michelin Pilot Sport summers swapped with Pilot Alpins, which I’ve also done. But, I am over the twice-a-year swap, and really don’t need it down here.

I put the DWS on the e46 wagon once upon a time, and I liked them, too. Just prefer the harder-edged Michelins on my primary car.

And not having to worry too much about driving around on the 20-degree days with a chance of precip is, well, priceless.

I am Ok with a lot more compromises for practical reasons as I get older. Which is how I ended up with an AWD car with an automatic on all seasons. LOL. Not to mention the big-toothed grille and hatchback.

I’ll leave it to my son to buy the M2 equivalent in his future. He has already been bitten by the bug.

3LOU5 11-29-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 592524)
Thanks, Alan. I am a veteran of previous variations of these tires—all the way back to my E46 330i and M3. They really are great.

Best is the Michelin Pilot Sport summers swapped with Pilot Alpins, which I’ve also done. But, I am over the twice-a-year swap, and really don’t need it down here.

I put the DWS on the e46 wagon once upon a time, and I liked them, too. Just prefer the harder-edged Michelins on my primary car.

And not having to worry too much about driving around on the 20-degree days with a chance of precip is, well, priceless.

I am Ok with a lot more compromises for practical reasons as I get older. Which is how I ended up with an AWD car with an automatic on all seasons. LOL. Not to mention the big-toothed grille and hatchback.

I’ll leave it to my son to buy the M2 equivalent in his future. He has already been bitten by the bug.

Like you, I've been a huge fan of Michelin PS A/S, and have had great luck with them. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to try the DWS, with price the only determining factor.

I'm probably like 51% DWS/49% PS as of now, LOL.

I've changed the tires of our Sienna recently from Michelin Primacy Tour A/S to Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus 3. So far, I like them but haven't really tested them out in the rain or snow. Tire Rack has had good reviews, and Danica Patrick approved of them as well in a YouTube video.

Hey, if it's good enough for Danica, it's good enough for me.

:lol: :lol: