carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saw an Ariel Atom today (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=8936)

nate 02-12-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 134041)
my only lodged complaint is that it's not street legal for any state that i would live in.

Where is it street legal, besides Texas?

lemming 02-12-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 134042)

i have no idea.

MA is pretty tough on cars and the only loophole that i know of are pre-1975 cars which can pass emissions without being tested. but the chassis has to be of the correct year.

which is interesting because factory five racing is IN massachusetts. and it's unclear whether or not the cars are street legal --sort of like BELtronics being Canadian but detectors being illegal in Canada?

i can see the appeal of the Atom, but as it is, with the current legal structure, i'd just opt for a lotus (as much as it pains me to admit this).

FC 02-12-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 134043)
i can see the appeal of the Atom, but as it is, with the current legal structure, i'd just opt for a lotus (as much as it pains me to admit this).

Well, my lust for one assumes (like I mentioned earlier) that I would be able to drive it around in the street.

lemming 02-12-2007 04:50 PM

well, if you and i live in teh same gated retirement community, we could drive atoms on the golf course.

i am unsure if getting into one is friendly to arthritic joints, though.

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 134042)

There are confirmed registrations in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Washington. Atoms are also registered in other states but the owners haven't posted that info on the forum.

John V 02-12-2007 05:11 PM

That's the last straw. I've been looking for another reason to move to Colorado, and I think I've found it. :D

rumatt 02-12-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134060)
There are confirmed registrations in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Washington. Atoms are also registered in other states but the owners haven't posted that info on the forum.

Where is yours registered? :scratch:

dan 02-12-2007 05:27 PM

i'm guessing IL

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 134062)
Where is yours registered? :scratch:

Troublemaker :irate:

I'm currently working with NJ to register mine. NJ has a collector car program which exempts vehicles from safety and emission requirements, but NJ doesn't want to honor it, despite it being the law. I think the main problem is that nobody in the offices understands this.

rumatt 02-12-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134064)
Troublemaker :irate:

: oops: