carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   No more SUV shopping (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=143682)

Josh (PA) 01-09-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 520359)
As the kids have gotten older, I've found any rationale for getting an SUV (or even a big wagon) diminishing.* Equ's use case is quite specific, and I guess if I lived somewhere where it really snowed I'd change my tune. But I weep for the impending future when everything is a crossover.

*please ignore the momentary G class insanity I experienced a few months ago. I'm better now. I think.

Even with the two kids in college, we routinely (on average 2x per month) haul 3 kids and a dog places. We sorta need a large hauling vehicle. I am really bummed the 5 series wagon has gone the way of the Dodo (although with the lack of driving involvment on the F10 maybe it doesn't matter), as we'd really like a wagon i/o an SUV of any sort. Given the choice, I'd always take a wagon over same spec sedan, but unfortunately, that choice rarely exists.

John V 01-09-2018 02:46 PM

I don't care about the time of year, I positively hate the NJ gas-pumping rules. Now that the only vehicle I'll be fueling in that God-forsaken state is a diesel, if I can pump it myself that will be a very welcome change.

equ 01-09-2018 07:50 PM

I thought about the e-class 4matic wagon. Our non sports cars get street parked so clearance would occasionally be an issue. I'm sure it drives better than any SUV, but these days my 535i is going strong which overlaps it. Also not sure how good 4matic is. Is it weak sauce like xdrive? And, I can't imagine it's an exciti g drive. if give an old clapped out 2006? e 4matic wagon and it was pretty terrible. Didn't check out a proper one this time around.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ZBB 01-09-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 520377)
Absolutely not.

This is the only time of year I’m glad for NJ’s gas pumping rules. Oregon just bailed on mandatory full-serve, so we’re the only ones left.

Oregon’s change is only in counties with less than 50k residents... :irate::mad2:

FC 01-09-2018 08:23 PM

I dunno man. I love my LR4 and it's coming up on 4.5 years. Air suspension makes it super smooth. The smooth thrust of the V8 is great. It has tons of room during trips, and with so much glass and headroom in the cabin, long trips are very comfy. It is unstoppable in winter, has a great view around banks and is very easy to maneuver. It's tall and boxy, but not long or wide. I love it. I feel so chill when I drive it. Plus, IMO, it projects utility, capability, and character with class as opposed to just a fancypants SUV. I can't see us selling this thing. It's great. And seriously, I cannot fit anything else in the garage with remotely the same amount of cargo/human room. It's a foot shorter than an Explorer.

Plaz 01-10-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 520427)
Oregon’s change is only in counties with less than 50k residents... :irate::mad2:

Oh, wow, I missed that detail. That’s weird.

lip277 01-10-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 520441)
Oh, wow, I missed that detail. That’s weird.

Supposedly to aid in keeping rural (and isolated) gas stations in business - by lowering their costs.

I hate having to get gas while I am in Oregon. I am usually able to avoid having to have someone else pump my gas by going to commercial sites I have access to - those are true self serve. But still a pain as those sites are not as common as they used to be (at least near Portland).

I just don't like other people doing anything to my cars.
Yeah -I know it's silly... But I just don't like it.... Especially when I am driving either the Mustang or the old BMW's that have gas fill configurations that are not seen too much these days... Not to mention having the attendant not 'fill it up' when I ask him to.

Jeff_DML 01-10-2018 12:11 PM

why does it suck so bad having someone pump your gas, take too much time? Seems nice if you dont have tip:D

wdc330i 01-10-2018 12:31 PM

I’m with Kevin on this one. Don’t want anyone touching my car.

Plaz 01-10-2018 01:56 PM

I agree, they’re sloppier, more likely to let splashes and drips on the paint, and you have to wait for them. But I’ve gotten over it, especially when it’s like 2 degrees out.

clyde 01-10-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 520478)
I agree, they’re sloppier, more likely to let splashes and drips on the paint, and you have to wait for them. But I’ve gotten over it, especially when it’s like 2 degrees out.

Hate waiting in line at NJ Turnpike stops. Hate seeing no line at the next service area even more when I ---probably--- could have made it.

First time I drove through Oregon in 1989(?) I didn't know about the law there and pumped my own. The attendant when he eventually wandered over, explained it to me, but was lackadaisical about it.

The next place in Oregon I got gas, I pumped my own again, and the attendant there flipped the fuck out about how I was putting him and every in a half mile radius at grave physical risk since I was not a trained professional. It was truly weird.

The Jalopnik story about people there freaking out over having to pump their own gas was kinda funny. https://jalopnik.com/join-america-in...abo-1821708958

Alan 01-10-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 520470)
I’m with Kevin on this one. Don’t want anyone touching my car.

:stupid:

ff 01-11-2018 07:33 AM

I wouldn't care that much about people touching my car to pump gas. I just don't like having other people do things for me, when I'm perfectly capable of doing them myself.

JST 01-11-2018 07:50 AM

My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long. They never have enough pump jockeys, and so you sit in front of an empty pump waiting for someone to come over and do things that you could have done minutes ago.

It’s especially absurd now with credit card machines in the pumps.

zach 01-11-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 520525)
My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long. They never have enough pump jockeys, and so you sit in front of an empty pump waiting for someone to come over and do things that you could have done minutes ago.

It’s especially absurd now with credit card machines in the pumps.

This is exactly it. I had to drive in NJ to go get our new X5 over the summer and made DAMN sure I didn't need to stop for gas because I knew it had the potential to F up my timing (sitting for 2 hours waiting at the dealership for the car to be "ready" is a story for another day).

John V 01-11-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 520525)
My issue with the gas thing is just that it takes so goddamn long.

Exactly my beef with it. If I wanted to wait a half hour to get filled up I would buy a Tesla.

kognito 01-11-2018 09:25 AM

The last, very last time I filled up in Oregon was at a station in front of a grocery store. (pumps were run by the grocery store) There were 5 fuel islands, so 10 pumps plus a the islands on the end also had diesel pumps.

There was 1 person working to pump gas. just 1!! and I swear the guy was about 87 years old.

Our class A rv had a 125 gallon diesel tank, but had fill necks on both sides of the RV. Seemed convenient to be able to fill from either side of the RV, but there was a trick to it. When using the larger diameter truck nozzles, you had to open both caps to vent the tank. If you didn't, diesel would burp out of the tank, and all over the outside paint job.

I told the 89 year old dude that I used to pump fuel in NJ, and filling this tank was tricky, so he let me pump my own. But he still had to come over to the pump, and "unlock it" with his special card.

Did get a lot of stares from other motorists. Maybe they thought I was taking away from the 89 year old's responsibilities, or maybe they never saw a 40foot RV before at the supermarket pumps

kognito 01-11-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 520527)
Exactly my beef with it. If I wanted to wait a half hour to get filled up I would buy a Tesla.

:lol::lol:

JST 01-11-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Which, ironically, you can plug in yourself.

rumatt 01-11-2018 12:39 PM

Equ, if you street park your extra cars, how much headache have you with dead batteries? And tire flat spotting?

I find it fairly annoying having to think about my 3rd car's battery and drive it when I wouldn't otherwise want to. And I can't put a solar charger in the E91 without fancy wiring because the cigarette charger is off when the car is off.

I need to get my system figured out, or go back to 2 cars.

Plaz 01-11-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 520505)
The next place in Oregon I got gas, I pumped my own again, and the attendant there flipped the fuck out about how I was putting him and every in a half mile radius at grave physical risk since I was not a trained professional. It was truly

:lol:

Quote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 520533)
Did get a lot of stares from other motorists. Maybe they thought I was taking away from the 89 year old's responsibilities, or maybe they never saw a 40foot RV before at the supermarket pumps

I’m going to guess the latter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 520540)
Which, ironically, you can plug in yourself.

:lol:

rumatt 01-13-2018 08:59 AM

Equ any more thoughts on the GC?

It's snowing in right now in Westchester if you want to drive it in snow. :)

equ 01-13-2018 11:00 PM

I have parked it on snow (with its half-worn all-seasons). Blizzaks should go on when I get a chance.

It's fine really. Still great mpg (just did the first fill-up so will get the pump to computer calibration soon). Good steering and decent ride and handling. Air suspension is good to have.

I can nitpick anything. Some

- I haven't driven longer than an hour. Still fiddling with driver's position. Part of this may be not being used to Automatic pedals. I hope to get comfortable, this is important.

- Emergency brake seems weak, push pedal type. I left it on and drove without feeling much slowness for 100yds after which the beep reminded me. I'll take it in for adjusting.

- Seat heater delayed compared to bmw (they all are)

- Transmission. The 8-speed is excellent, nice downshifts. I keep it in S on highways and D in tight places and heavy traffic. Pairs well with the torquey

- Engine. It's always adequate and never too much. Diesels are made for heavy vehicles. I hit an indicated 31 on a 30mi highway stretch today.

- Space. I thought I was giving up a good amount of practicality with the JGC compared to a RR or 4runner, but I think it's fine. It is less boxy, but on day 2, I brought home one 2x10x10' and five 10' 2x4's without sticking out or tying on a roof. Saved me me a truck rental, $35, 1 out 1000 payback, let's say an hour saved as well.

- 506W speakers. Sound is better than my stock f10 system (which is not HK). This is the second from top system for the Jeep.

- Brakes. Not bad, and in an emergency situation (an accident happened right in front of me today on the GSP) easily responded (with a bit of tire lock - but that's not the brakes fault).

- All thoughts of Toyota or RR have faded away. I do think for someone enthusiastic or not overly budget-minded, the diesel and the hemi feel better than the base engine and have better wafting and cruising.

rumatt 01-14-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 520709)
I brought home one 2x10x10' and five 10' 2x4's without sticking out or tying on a roof.

How did it work? I assume they're were sticking between the front seats?

I can load 8' 2x4 and 4x4's into the e46 that way. They come within about 1.5" of the dash. I just don't love the idea that if I brake too hard I will smash the radio.

Quote:

1 out 1000 payback
:bustingup I like it.

But the real win is knowing that you can do this kind of job whenever you feel like it, without having to jump through the rental hoops and making sure they're available.

It's a control thing, and I'm perfectly willing to admit I have control issues. :lol:

equ 01-14-2018 07:57 PM

Another - mostly - highway drive. 29mpg reported on 100mi, with 500+ miles range remaining.

Positives:

- If I sit further back - as there is no clutch to press - I can get comfortable. I've stopped fidgeting and adjusting, I just need to sit somewhere different than I do in a manual car (my last twenty or so cars with one small exception).

- Comfortable/serene on highway.

Some negatives, not major:

- definitely a bit floaty at speed, not something you drive at 85mph on the left lane cutting in and out (I guess you could if you paid crazy attention) but more relax with the family on the right or center lane at 70mph.

- nearside A-pillar has a blind spot. I find myself leaning to see towards LH apexes (as well as potential pedestrians crossing)

- parking sensors only on rear. A bit weird that there are all sorts of other sensors. My first experience with adaptive cruise (works well enough) and blind spot detection (pretty nice for checking far cross traffic when you are reversing)

- emergency brake seems weak. I'm going to complain, I can easily drive with it off.

The dog was in it for the first time today (with a seat cover). She needs the window open at 23F unfortunately. Also more returns in that carried 3 bags of cement. Sure cars carry that too... The other month I had 500lbs of tile & kitchen construction materials in my 535i and I felt sorry for the rear suspension. Put it on firm and it helped a bit.

This one, I don't feel extra passengers or 200lbs of cargo at all.

clyde 01-14-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 520746)
- nearside A-pillar has a blind spot. I find myself leaning to see towards LH apexes (as well as potential pedestrians crossing)

This is becoming quite a common complaint for me in newer cars. Not sure how else they can efficiently fit airbags and meet rollover requirements without it, though.

equ 01-27-2018 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
800 Mile Review

- Engine. Smooth, torquey, efficient. A little slow and clattery sub-10mph and haven't really gone beyond 85-90. Generally likes to cruise around 70 to 75. 28-29mpg's on the highway. Pump calculated 25.6mpg on a combined mostly highway tank with 550mi range.

- Transmission. The 8-speed ZF is fantastic for an auto-box. I like how it downshifts matching revs into red lights. Other than at launches, it doesn't churn/hum much, seems to lock up to gear quickly. This is my third automatic car ever, after the 1986 Mercury POS and my failed 2011 x5d experiment. I use both D & S modes (S helps briskness just a bit and also lowers the car, the two are tied to each other). I haven't used the paddles.

- Air suspension. It's not sporty, but it rides decently and I can feel it adjusts for the load.

So while the JGC is an exceedingly common car, at least the Overland Ecodiesel specification is rather rare.

robg 01-27-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 521697)
800 Mile Review

- Engine. Smooth, torquey, efficient. A little slow and clattery sub-10mph and haven't really gone beyond 85-90. Generally likes to cruise around 70 to 75. 28-29mpg's on the highway. Pump calculated 25.6mpg on a combined mostly highway tank with 550mi range.

- Transmission. The 8-speed ZF is fantastic for an auto-box. I like how it downshifts matching revs into red lights. Other than at launches, it doesn't churn/hum much, seems to lock up to gear quickly. This is my third automatic car ever, after the 1986 Mercury POS and my failed 2011 x5d experiment. I use both D & S modes (S helps briskness just a bit and also lowers the car, the two are tied to each other). I haven't used the paddles.

- Air suspension. It's not sporty, but it rides decently and I can feel it adjusts for the load.

So while the JGC is an exceedingly common car, at least the Overland Ecodiesel specification is rather rare.

Sounds great. Can't beat that mpg average in a vehicle that likley weighs close to 5k pounds.

I believe the x5 would've had the same ZF 8 speed, but BMW programs it a bit differently. What do you think of the Jeep version in comparison?

rumatt 01-27-2018 11:41 PM

Glad you're enjoying it. It's looks great in that color.

equ 01-28-2018 04:11 AM

Weighs 5200 to maybe 5400lbs most likely. If you are not demanding speedy moves, the engine feels more than comfortable for that weight. It has 7200lb tow rating and the same motor as in the Ram 1500 diesel.

Pretty sure my x5d had a 6-speed as well as the earlier bmw diesel engine. I never liked the throttle response nor the shifts but honestly don't remember much. That was four years ago and I only drove it for a couple thousand miles.

I think MB makes the smoothest diesel of the three (never drove the vw/audi/Porsche 3.0). The design and and system of the jeep are more appealing to me. Also no runflat and better brake feel. Funny, helping a friend buy that diesel ML got me looking into diesel Suvs in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rumatt 01-28-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 521713)
Weighs 5200 to maybe 5400lbs most likely.

Interesting. I was guessing a touch over 5000. I believe the diesel adds about 500 lbs over the 6 cylinder. And 300 over the hemi.

Quote:

If you are not demanding speedy moves, the engine feels more than comfortable for that weight.
What about turning? Does the outside front tire scream for the sweet release of death every time you round a mild corner?

equ 01-28-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 521714)
Interesting. I was guessing a touch over 5000. I believe the diesel adds about 500 lbs over the 6 cylinder. And 300 over the hemi.

What about turning? Does the outside front tire scream for the sweet release of death every time you round a mild corner?

I read some comparative reviews. Hemi seems to add 200lbs to the 6-cyl and the diesel seems to add 150ish to that. Note that hemi & diesel come with heavy duty brakes and towing package that is not as common on the 6. The hemi was decent and almost fun in a straight-line due to the soundtrack and response (if not the actual speed). It's likely quite reliable, but the archaic design and displacement mean that I'd be getting mid to low teens. And 200 to 250 on a tank.

The outside front? :lol: It probably would. There is either construction load or the dog in the car so I wouldn't know. It's not a car that encourages turning of that sort - at all. I have no intention on rolling it. I did just score a nearly new set of lighter Summit (higher trim) wheels that I put on, those are in the picture. The downside is that the tires are still the same, mediocre goodyear fortera's. So I will put together a winter set and take it easy in all 4 seasons.

I'm doing ok if I keep up with fast traffic. It does better on sweepers, once set up. And it powers out well, that audi/awd feeling. At least it's comfortable enough. But it's not meant to dominate the left lane let alone provide cornering delights. No large SUV I've driven can do that. The full-sized RR wouldn't be very different (smoother ride). The cayenne would be the only one and that is $$$ and I have a nice rwd 535i sedan anyway.

lemming 01-28-2018 12:40 PM

Good running updates. Thank you.

lemming 02-01-2018 09:37 AM

question for the group:

probably going to replace E61 with new Buick Regal TourX (I like it) --but the 2015 Wrangler Sahara is end of lease soon --but the buyout is super cheap. Vehicles on the market same year, same options same miles are all asking $30,000 or more --I should just buy this 2015 Jeep, shouldn't I?

wdc330i 02-01-2018 09:38 AM

Somehow I didn't know you even had a Jeep...But, yes, I'd probably buy the Jeep and sell it, if you want something more luxe.

JST 02-01-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 521953)
question for the group:

probably going to replace E61 with new Buick Regal TourX (I like it) --but the 2015 Wrangler Sahara is end of lease soon --but the buyout is super cheap. Vehicles on the market same year, same options same miles are all asking $30,000 or more --I should just buy this 2015 Jeep, shouldn't I?

I mean, do you like it? Life is to short to keep a car you don't like just because it's cheap.

If the delta is big enough you might just buy and resell. I'm vaguely curious about owning a Jeep, but not curious enough to test drive a Jeep, so I can't really help.

lemming 02-01-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 521955)
I mean, do you like it? Life is to short to keep a car you don't like just because it's cheap.

If the delta is big enough you might just buy and resell. I'm vaguely curious about owning a Jeep, but not curious enough to test drive a Jeep, so I can't really help.

i really like it.

it's a gigantic box on wheels. it's the closest thing you can get to a reliable Defender 90 kind of vehicle.

i'd test drive the 2018 to checkout the turbo 4 and the diesel options, but maybe i'll sit and hold.

wdc330i 02-01-2018 09:48 AM

The Sahara is something I could see having at a second home as the country/beach/lake mobile.

lemming 02-01-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 521959)
The Sahara is something I could see having at a second home as the country/beach/lake mobile.

the JK does not get driven much off-winter. Yes.

it's gotten to the point where I don't even mind it on the highway. it has a huge fuel tank.

clyde 02-01-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 521959)

There is an ever growing contingent of middle aged women in my neighborhood driving Jeeps as their primary vehicles.