carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thinking of getting another car ... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158794)

Alan 11-05-2019 06:33 PM

Thinking of getting another car ...

So the R8 was sold about a year ago and I can’t seem to find the right i8 plus I really put very little effort into it since it was kind of a relief not having so many cars. It just got draining always going to a dealer for something ... anyway I have new energy plus I am feeling the itch ... here are the cars on my list ...

Spoiler alert all cars mentioned below will not be a manual, I have my 911 which I am not getting rid of and one manual is enough plus I want a car my wife and kids can drive (to me this is fun) and I like the dual clutch transmissions. There is a reason I only put 1,000 miles on the 911 in the last year.

Let’s start with the craziest one but also one I think if I go with it would be long term ... the second generation R8 ... not quite sure if I would go with a 2 year old model or order a new one .... I spoke to my salesperson and they said they can get an allocation even though they currently don’t have one and the price is full msrp ... argh that’s a lot of change ... unfortunately a 2017 or 2018 really doesn’t save much since resale seems to be really good.

The new 911 aka 992 I am sure this is another keeper ... less expensive then the R8, I know it will be more nimble the only downside is the exterior still looks like my past 2 911’s but the interior imo is awesome. I love Porsche’s and this might be a winner.

The 991.2 coupe or convertible ... I have to search for a nice low mileage clean car which is a pain in the ass but I really like the facelift touches they did ... i’m not sure on the resale since the new 992 is out but I will start looking around.

Then comes the car I thought I would never consider but after having a 2019 Cayman loaner today this is definitely on the list. First off the only reason I didn’t consider it in the past is I had a 1st gen boxster and could not fit in it comfortably but after driving the loaner all day I seem to fit in it comfortably though the seat still hits the firewall (i’ll get into this in another thread) I am thinking why not got a gently used 718 couple or convertible ... try it out and if I find I’m uncomfortable I get rid of it. I should add just going to the dealer and getting a new one is appealing as well and eliminates the whole pain in the ass factor... argh decisions

So now the fun begins ...

JST 11-05-2019 06:47 PM

If you’re keeping the 911, why buy something so similar? What about a Taycan?

wdc330i 11-05-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553172)
So the R8 was sold about a year ago and I can’t seem to find the right i8 plus I really put very little effort into it since it was kind of a relief not having so many cars. It just got draining always going to a dealer for something ... anyway I have new energy plus I am feeling the itch ... here are the cars on my list ...

Spoiler alert all cars mentioned below will not be a manual, I have my 911 which I am not getting rid of and one manual is enough plus I want a car my wife and kids can drive (to me this is fun) and I like the dual clutch transmissions. There is a reason I only put 1,000 miles on the 911 in the last year.

Let’s start with the craziest one but also one I think if I go with it would be long term ... the second generation R8 ... not quite sure if I would go with a 2 year old model or order a new one .... I spoke to my salesperson and they said they can get an allocation even though they currently don’t have one and the price is full msrp ... argh that’s a lot of change ... unfortunately a 2017 or 2018 really doesn’t save much since resale seems to be really good.

The new 911 aka 992 I am sure this is another keeper ... less expensive then the R8, I know it will be more nimble the only downside is the exterior still looks like my past 2 911’s but the interior imo is awesome. I love Porsche’s and this might be a winner.

The 991.2 coupe or convertible ... I have to search for a nice low mileage clean car which is a pain in the ass but I really like the facelift touches they did ... i’m not sure on the resale since the new 992 is out but I will start looking around.

Then comes the car I thought I would never consider but after having a 2019 Cayman loaner today this is definitely on the list. First off the only reason I didn’t consider it in the past is I had a 1st gen boxster and could not fit in it comfortably but after driving the loaner all day I seem to fit in it comfortably though the seat still hits the firewall (i’ll get into this in another thread) I am thinking why not got a gently used 718 couple or convertible ... try it out and if I find I’m uncomfortable I get rid of it. I should add just going to the dealer and getting a new one is appealing as well and eliminates the whole pain in the ass factor... argh decisions

So now the fun begins ...

If you sit tight, STBX may be selling her 2017 718s next spring. Guards Red and PDK, so you’d have to be OK with that; otherwise well optioned. I’ll bet you’d be pickier, though, about colors/options (as we all are).

Josh (PA) 11-05-2019 08:18 PM

2020 corvette. *threadclosed*

Alan 11-05-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 553175)
If you’re keeping the 911, why buy something so similar? What about a Taycan?

I really want a newer sports car with a dual clutch transmission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 553180)
If you sit tight, STBX may be selling her 2017 718s next spring. Guards Red and PDK, so you’d have to be OK with that; otherwise well optioned. I’ll bet you’d be pickier, though, about colors/options (as we all are).

Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to put in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I need to post a review of the Base Cayman I drove today ... why anyone would complain about that engine kinda blows me away .... Porsche did such an excellent job on it. That car was so much fun to drive and that pdk transmission is amazing ... i’m going to post a couple of pics of it here just can’t do it on my iPad.

I almost want to go to the dealer tomorrow and just buy it though I can’t because I would never buy a loaner car.

Alan 11-05-2019 08:37 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...199245358b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8d2c6ce342.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh (PA) 11-05-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553187)

Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to out in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I need to post a review of the Base Cayman I drove today ... why anyone would complain about that engine kinda blows me away .... Porsche did such an excellent job on it. That car was so much fun to drive and that pdk transmission is amazing ... i’m going to post a couple of pics of it here just can’t do it on my iPad.

I almost want to go to the dealer tomorrow and just buy it though I can’t because I would never buy a loaner car.

It is her ex-wife. Not sure of the STBX acronym, but in my divorce history it would stand for Shitty Total Bitch Ex.

Edit: Urban dictionary educated me "soon to be ex"... same difference

Alan 11-05-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 553185)
2020 corvette. *threadclosed*

I love the new mid engine corvette but I do not trust a first year Corvette, they always have a history of issues plus gm never made a car like this before ... another issue is every Chevrolet dealer here in Long Island looks like its from the 1980’s ... call me spoiled but I need a good service department.

Alan 11-05-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 553189)
It is her ex-wife. Not sure of the STBX acronym, but in my divorce history it would stand for Shitty Total Bitch Ex.

Damn I am so dumb ... yeah that car is awesome i’m totally interested ... wdc let’s talk

JST 11-05-2019 08:56 PM

Everyone is raving about the new GT500, though you’ll basically never be able to get a test drive.

I second the Corvette. If it has problems, so what? It’s like your fourth car, right?

Can’t go wrong with a Cayman, though it seems awfully similar to the 911, driving wise.

wdc330i 11-05-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 553189)

:lol:

wdc330i 11-05-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553187)

Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to put in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I can get you specs, but she’s not far enough along for timing/pricing.

And the there’s the 718T coming....
https://www.pca.org/news/2019-11-05/...-north-america

John V 11-06-2019 07:46 AM

C8 seems like the obvious choice, except I also wouldn't buy a first year car.

Biggins 11-06-2019 08:16 AM

I think 2g R8 would suit you best... or maybe the NSX (I remember you trying one?).

kognito 11-06-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553190)
I love the new mid engine corvette but I do not trust a first year Corvette, they always have a history of issues plus gm never made a car like this before ... another issue is every Chevrolet dealer here in Long Island looks like its from the 1980’s ... call me spoiled but I need a good service department.

None are updated?

You would be blown away by the Chevy/Buick/GMC/Caddy dealer less than 5 miles from my house. I have only walked into the service bays once, but it looked like I could eat lunch off the floor. I've never seen such a clean service area. I have never asked for a loaner, as there has been nothing wrong with my GMC. Been in twice for routine service. one of the times there were two cars parked in the covered drop off area, and a writer ran right out to get me checked in. Shuttle service was offered both times, but I waited each visit. Both visits a service writer came out into the coffee/waiting area and updated me every 15 minutes (like clockwork)

Alan 11-07-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggins (Post 553208)
I think 2g R8 would suit you best... or maybe the NSX (I remember you trying one?).

I drove the new NSX a few times with one of them being on a racetrack .. the car is awesome but I am nervous about a few things, one of them is my seat is touching the firewall and I can’t tell if I need more room or if I fit comfortably. It’s the kind of car I’d want to buy used just in case I’m not comfortable in it then I wouldn’t get killed on the resale.
The other thing is I can’t figure out if this is a car that will hold its value or drop very fast. It is not selling for sh*t, the factory is offering $20k off plus whatever the dealer discounts.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ... I think they overpriced the car and the dealers killed the market at launch and now the factory is trying to correct the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 553211)
None are updated?

)

They don’t have big beautiful Chevrolet dealers here in Long Island like they do in other parts of the country and the ones that exist have very few Corvettes. Back in the days when I had Corvettes there were 2 dealers that specialized in them but after 2008-2009 they either closed up or stopped specializing in them.

I need to move to the Carolina’s :D.

ff 11-07-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553266)
The other thing is I can’t figure out if this is a car that will hold its value or drop very fast. It is not selling for sh*t, the factory is offering $20k off plus whatever the dealer discounts.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ...

I think that the masses simply lost interest in the Acura brand. It didn't help that they stopped making sports cars, and repeatedly refused to build a proper RWD premium sedan.

kognito 11-07-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

They don’t have big beautiful Chevrolet dealers here in Long Island like they do in other parts of the country and the ones that exist have very few Corvettes. Back in the days when I had Corvettes there were 2 dealers that specialized in them but after 2008-2009 they either closed up or stopped specializing in them.

I need to move to the Carolina’s :D.

Yeah my dealer makes the Dodge/Chrysler dealership I worked at in Clifton NJ seem like a dump (it was!)

I thought I saw a headline yesterday that C8 production was pushed back (again)

equ 11-07-2019 12:48 PM

Most domestic dealers around NYC/NJ seem pretty dumpy. And not cheap too boot! I had a hard choice on where to service my Jeep for the half year that I had it (and I still got screwed).

robg 11-11-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

I drove the new NSX a few times with one of them being on a racetrack .. the car is awesome but I am nervous about a few things, one of them is my seat is touching the firewall and I can’t tell if I need more room or if I fit comfortably. It’s the kind of car I’d want to buy used just in case I’m not comfortable in it then I wouldn’t get killed on the resale.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ... I think they overpriced the car and the dealers killed the market at launch and now the factory is trying to correct the market.

Ha- that probably means that NSXs will be worth a fortune in 10 years. Always seems that the cars that are most unloved at their launch later go on to become highly sought after.

equ 11-11-2019 08:03 PM

Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.

John V 11-12-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 553430)
Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.

Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.

rumatt 11-12-2019 09:33 AM

STBX's Porsche to tide you over until the bugs are worked out the the C8.

Done and done!

zach 11-12-2019 09:35 AM

It's been mentioned, but if I were you I'd take a close look at the new R8. Or maybe a Huracan?

JST 11-12-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 553443)
Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.

All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.

That said, I think the current NSX is somewhat underappreciated, and I can see it enjoying a bit of a boost in resale once production ends. I still wouldn't buy one, but it's an intriguing car.

I think you're much better served with a GT3 Touring, tbh, or if you must have a wankermatic, then a "normal" GT3.

equ 11-12-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 553452)
All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.

From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.

JST 11-12-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 553454)
From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.

Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?

3LOU5 11-12-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 553455)
Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?

I like the way JST thinks……

John V 11-13-2019 06:29 AM

SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.

robg 11-13-2019 10:24 AM

Thinking of getting another car ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 553484)
SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.

I drove an SLS once and loved it. Great sound, beautiful interior - would love to own one at some point. Might be my favorite modern mb

JST 11-13-2019 10:36 AM

Yeah the SLS is cool. If I had to have a wankermatic, it’d be at the top of my list.

Alan 11-14-2019 09:13 AM

The older Ferrari thing isn’t for me, I had an opportunity to get a 456 from the same person who sold me the R8 and I really wasn’t into it.

The AMG GT is a good suggestion, that is a cool car, the SLS is beautiful but too old to have a warranty and I’m sure anything that goes wrong with that car would be ridiculous money.

Today I am going to look at a 2019 Boxster S with 5k miles .. we will see what happens.

A part of me just thinks to go for the 992 and call it a day. I know i’ll be comfortable in it and I can order it exactly the way I want it.

robg 11-14-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 553539)
The older Ferrari thing isn’t for me, I had an opportunity to get a 456 from the same person who sold me the R8 and I really wasn’t into it.

The AMG GT is a good suggestion, that is a cool car, the SLS is beautiful but too old to have a warranty and I’m sure anything that goes wrong with that car would be ridiculous money.

Today I am going to look at a 2019 Boxster S with 5k miles .. we will see what happens.

A part of me just thinks to go for the 992 and call it a day. I know i’ll be comfortable in it and I can order it exactly the way I want it.

If you get the 992 you'd still keep your 991? I guess the problem is that once you get used to the general excellence of a 911 it's hard to put up w/ anything else

equ 11-14-2019 06:10 PM

Dibs on the 991. Was it black exterior though?

Alan 11-14-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 553557)
If you get the 992 you'd still keep your 991? I guess the problem is that once you get used to the general excellence of a 911 it's hard to put up w/ anything else

I can’t get rid of my 911, I just love that car, the sound of that NA engine with the sport exhaust is awesome and I like having a manual ...

I think I optioned it out to be a true carmudgeon car ... lol my only car I can say that about :D

Alan 11-14-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 553559)
Dibs on the 991. Was it black exterior though?

Lol you posted while I was writing my message above and yes it’s black on black ... lol I guess the deal is off :D

robg 11-14-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 553560)
I can’t get rid of my 911, I just love that car, the sound of that NA engine with the sport exhaust is awesome and I like having a manual ...

I think I optioned it out to be a true carmudgeon car ... lol my only car I can say that about :D

Nice- sounds like that might become your "forever" car.

Alan 11-14-2019 07:08 PM

So I drove the 2019 Boxster S, I still have the concern of comfort being the seat back is against the firewall but I really love the car and the way it drives except for one thing ...

The blind spot is horrible, I literally accelerated hard while switching lanes just to make sure no one was in that lane. I guess I could put those little circle mirrors on the exterior mirrors but I have to tell you I always felt some here are so much more into the whole pure feel of the perfect sports car but I think the cayman is better overall unless you live in the sunny states.

I love the idea of a convertible but am thinking the Cayman might be the better overall car because it is just as fun and can be driven more spirited without the huge blind spot.
argh who knows ... i’ll see what happens.

equ 11-14-2019 08:49 PM

Boxster has worse rear visibility than the cayman but I barely notice it (and I cut my teeth on the hardtop). Just parking really (and that's largely solved by cameras and sensors). Neither have the rear or overall visibility of a 911, in particular the 997.

All caymans and the one boxster I've had have a horrible passenger side rear three quarters blind spot. There are rare intersections where I'm merging from the left at an angle (not a zero degrees like a highway, not 90 degrees, in between) and I'm completely blind to a portion of the road I'm merging towards... Almost requires having a passenger, but those are rare.

equ 11-14-2019 08:50 PM

Also, no boxster test drive is acceptable unless you have the top down for at least half of it. That also happens to remove the blind spot I'm talking about. The cayman's achilles heel blind spot remains.