carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thinking of getting another car ... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158794)

equ 11-11-2019 08:03 PM

Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.

John V 11-12-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 553430)
Somehow, I don't think the new NSX is going to replicate the old NSX's trajectory... But I've never had that sort of vision.

Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.

rumatt 11-12-2019 09:33 AM

STBX's Porsche to tide you over until the bugs are worked out the the C8.

Done and done!

zach 11-12-2019 09:35 AM

It's been mentioned, but if I were you I'd take a close look at the new R8. Or maybe a Huracan?

JST 11-12-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 553443)
Probably not, but also consider that the original NSX was insanely expensive in the 90's. Anybody who bought one new and is trying to sell it now is still losing money.

All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.

That said, I think the current NSX is somewhat underappreciated, and I can see it enjoying a bit of a boost in resale once production ends. I still wouldn't buy one, but it's an intriguing car.

I think you're much better served with a GT3 Touring, tbh, or if you must have a wankermatic, then a "normal" GT3.

equ 11-12-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 553452)
All cars are terrible investments; even cars like the OG NSX and the OG M3, which are now enjoying frothy bubble pricing, are money losers when you factor in inflation, storage costs, opportunity costs, and so on.

From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.

JST 11-12-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 553454)
From new, surely... And that's why JV is right to point out/correct that the old NSX was not a great investment from new either. But in the mid-00's, 993's and NSX's were quite cheap. From that time forward, they are pretty decent value-holders. If not investments, they are pretty much fun for free... If you chose correctly buying used and catch a particular time in history.

Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?

3LOU5 11-12-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 553455)
Oh, right--yes, that is an important caveat. There are cars that you can catch at the bottom of their depreciation curve that are really great buys (and some even end up bubbling, which is nice if it happens to you). I still kick myself for not spending 15K on an E30 M3 15 or so years ago, but what are you going to do?

There are some interesting candidates in that bracket that AF could consider. I think the F360 is likely to continue to appreciate, but only if you buy a manual. 456s are very underappreciated (especially, again, with a manual), but we've seen over the years that even the unloved Ferraris are eventually discovered, so those would be kind of an interesting choice.

I don't think that's what he wants, though--it sounds like he wants something high-tech with some of the lastest stuff built in. Cars like that are a) going to be new and expensive and b) are going to depreciate like rocks, because what's "new" is always changing. That's particularly so in the hybrid supercar space.

An early Maclaren might be a good compromise; I think they've depreciated quite a bit, but they are still exotic and interesting and likely won't ever be worth nothing.

EDIT: What about a used Mercedes SLS? Or whatever that new thing is, the AMG GT?

I like the way JST thinks……

John V 11-13-2019 06:29 AM

SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.

robg 11-13-2019 10:24 AM

Thinking of getting another car ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 553484)
SLS or AMG GT seem like good fits given what AF has bought in the past and liked.

I drove an SLS once and loved it. Great sound, beautiful interior - would love to own one at some point. Might be my favorite modern mb