carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Thinking of getting another car ... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158794)

wdc330i 11-05-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 553189)
It is her ex-wife. Not sure of the STBX acronym, but in my divorce history it would stand for Shitty Total Bitch Ex.

Edit: Urban dictionary educated me "soon to be ex"... same difference

:lol:

wdc330i 11-05-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553187)
I really want a newer sports car with a dual clutch transmission.

Is that someone on this board ? Do you know details on the car such as miles and possibly asking price not that I want to put in the position of asking, if you send me the contact info that would be great.

I need to post a review of the Base Cayman I drove today ... why anyone would complain about that engine kinda blows me away .... Porsche did such an excellent job on it. That car was so much fun to drive and that pdk transmission is amazing ... i’m going to post a couple of pics of it here just can’t do it on my iPad.

I almost want to go to the dealer tomorrow and just buy it though I can’t because I would never buy a loaner car.

I can get you specs, but she’s not far enough along for timing/pricing.

And the there’s the 718T coming....
https://www.pca.org/news/2019-11-05/...-north-america

John V 11-06-2019 07:46 AM

C8 seems like the obvious choice, except I also wouldn't buy a first year car.

Biggins 11-06-2019 08:16 AM

I think 2g R8 would suit you best... or maybe the NSX (I remember you trying one?).

kognito 11-06-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553190)
I love the new mid engine corvette but I do not trust a first year Corvette, they always have a history of issues plus gm never made a car like this before ... another issue is every Chevrolet dealer here in Long Island looks like its from the 1980’s ... call me spoiled but I need a good service department.

None are updated?

You would be blown away by the Chevy/Buick/GMC/Caddy dealer less than 5 miles from my house. I have only walked into the service bays once, but it looked like I could eat lunch off the floor. I've never seen such a clean service area. I have never asked for a loaner, as there has been nothing wrong with my GMC. Been in twice for routine service. one of the times there were two cars parked in the covered drop off area, and a writer ran right out to get me checked in. Shuttle service was offered both times, but I waited each visit. Both visits a service writer came out into the coffee/waiting area and updated me every 15 minutes (like clockwork)

Alan 11-07-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggins (Post 553208)
I think 2g R8 would suit you best... or maybe the NSX (I remember you trying one?).

I drove the new NSX a few times with one of them being on a racetrack .. the car is awesome but I am nervous about a few things, one of them is my seat is touching the firewall and I can’t tell if I need more room or if I fit comfortably. It’s the kind of car I’d want to buy used just in case I’m not comfortable in it then I wouldn’t get killed on the resale.
The other thing is I can’t figure out if this is a car that will hold its value or drop very fast. It is not selling for sh*t, the factory is offering $20k off plus whatever the dealer discounts.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ... I think they overpriced the car and the dealers killed the market at launch and now the factory is trying to correct the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 553211)
None are updated?

)

They don’t have big beautiful Chevrolet dealers here in Long Island like they do in other parts of the country and the ones that exist have very few Corvettes. Back in the days when I had Corvettes there were 2 dealers that specialized in them but after 2008-2009 they either closed up or stopped specializing in them.

I need to move to the Carolina’s :D.

ff 11-07-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 553266)
The other thing is I can’t figure out if this is a car that will hold its value or drop very fast. It is not selling for sh*t, the factory is offering $20k off plus whatever the dealer discounts.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ...

I think that the masses simply lost interest in the Acura brand. It didn't help that they stopped making sports cars, and repeatedly refused to build a proper RWD premium sedan.

kognito 11-07-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

They don’t have big beautiful Chevrolet dealers here in Long Island like they do in other parts of the country and the ones that exist have very few Corvettes. Back in the days when I had Corvettes there were 2 dealers that specialized in them but after 2008-2009 they either closed up or stopped specializing in them.

I need to move to the Carolina’s :D.

Yeah my dealer makes the Dodge/Chrysler dealership I worked at in Clifton NJ seem like a dump (it was!)

I thought I saw a headline yesterday that C8 production was pushed back (again)

equ 11-07-2019 12:48 PM

Most domestic dealers around NYC/NJ seem pretty dumpy. And not cheap too boot! I had a hard choice on where to service my Jeep for the half year that I had it (and I still got screwed).

robg 11-11-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

I drove the new NSX a few times with one of them being on a racetrack .. the car is awesome but I am nervous about a few things, one of them is my seat is touching the firewall and I can’t tell if I need more room or if I fit comfortably. It’s the kind of car I’d want to buy used just in case I’m not comfortable in it then I wouldn’t get killed on the resale.
Acura reps (not dealers but actually people who work for Acura) have been contacting me ... they are really trying to promote this car but for some reason it just isn’t catching on ... I think they overpriced the car and the dealers killed the market at launch and now the factory is trying to correct the market.

Ha- that probably means that NSXs will be worth a fortune in 10 years. Always seems that the cars that are most unloved at their launch later go on to become highly sought after.