carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Random M3 Candidate (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=141448)

Nick M3 11-11-2017 05:34 AM

Random M3 Candidate

2 Attachment(s)
A client of mine has a 2011 ZCP sedan with 46k on it, that he’ll give me for Carmax trade in.

Which is tempting.

It’s optioned entirely wrong. Jerez isn’t on my hard stop list, but it’s not what I want. The car has NAV and a sunroof. The car does not have heated seats. It needs a little PDR and detail, but it’s been maintained.

$26k, though.

Hmm. I am torn.

John V 11-11-2017 07:03 AM

Navigation plus sunroof is a deal killer for me. The interior makes it a hat trick of nope.

JST 11-11-2017 07:19 AM

I feel like Nav, while ugly, comes with some potential benefits. And I like sunroofs. I don’t see why you’d actively not want one in a car you weren’t going to track.

Those seats, though...whoa.

wdc330i 11-11-2017 08:16 AM

Seems like a good interim measure, and you wouldn’t lose too much in a future swap.

Jeff_DML 11-11-2017 09:08 AM

At least it has the newer e90 nav.

Car for FC?

Josh (PA) 11-11-2017 09:50 AM

I like Jerez, and the 2011+ I-drive is a good interface, even if you never use the Nav, the other improvements are worthwhile.

The interior color is tough to take. How hard would it be to swap in Black heated seats and add the heated seat option?

Nick M3 11-11-2017 10:10 AM

:eeps: I actually like the interior. Not as much as a full Fox Red, but better than black.

JST 11-11-2017 11:24 AM

Also who orders a car without heated seats?

I don’t mind red seats or red door cards (though it would be better if the hand grips were black), but the red armrests are ick and the half-red seats are just weird looking. Would be better if they just made the seats red.

Still, seems like a compelling package. I’d do it, i think.

JST 11-11-2017 11:25 AM

If you do let me know if you want this set of snow tires for an E90 M3 I have in my basement.

Nick M3 11-11-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 516274)
Also who orders a car without heated seats?

I don’t mind red seats or red door cards (though it would be better if the hand grips were black), but the red armrests are ick and the half-red seats are just weird looking. Would be better if they just made the seats red.

Still, seems like a compelling package. I’d do it, i think.

I don’t understand ordering basically everything *but* heated seats, that’s for sure.

rumatt 11-11-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 516262)
hat trick of nope.

:lol:

I actually don't mind the interior colors!

But Nav, sunroof, and lack of heated seats are all so wrong. I wouldn't want.

rumatt 11-11-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 516263)
I feel like Nav, while ugly, comes with some potential benefits.

Who the hell uses vehicle navigation systems today? Seriously. Other than my parents who don't have smart phones. But they also don't drive M3's so they don't count. Besides them... who?

JST 11-11-2017 04:05 PM

I use the one in the Tesla constantly, because it’s so easy to enter addresses.

I use the one in the VW a lot less.

rumatt 11-11-2017 04:11 PM

Easier than waze?

Which also notifies you of police.

And does traffic-aware routing.

And remembers your recent addresses even if you hop into another car.

And..

bren 11-11-2017 04:14 PM

NAV without traffic is dumb, that's for sure.

Josh (PA) 11-11-2017 07:34 PM

The M3 nav has traffic.

I use the Nav on my 1er all the time. Its been covered in numerous other threads, I may be an anomaly, but I prefer the integrated screen, the addition of next turn information on the HUD of my X5, the address book, not having to take a phone out of my pocket and find a home for it that I can see, not needlessly draining battery, etc.

JST 11-11-2017 08:50 PM

Yes easier than Waze, plus the screen is huge, and it has traffic aware routing.

The police thing has never really struck me as being complete enough to rely on.

dan 11-11-2017 10:10 PM

Waze police is clutch

bren 11-11-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 516290)
The M3 nav has traffic.

Not like google/waze, unless it works better than the (newer) nav in our x3.

lemming 11-12-2017 07:49 AM

seems like a steal for that price. and seats are swappable, if it's a real dealbreaker (you would know this better than me, I would guess).

the real question long term is if the static weight of the car matched to that power delivery will suit what you're looking for -- in DC, the way that traffic tends to be, it exacerbates how much a car weighs at dead stop and whether or not the engine's power delivery is well matched for stop and go traffic.

i love the e90 m3, but it's flawed if used as a stop and go machine.

Josh (PA) 11-12-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undefined (Post 516293)
Waze police is clutch

My experience is 75% of Waze police reports either already have someone pulled over or are no longer there. My Passport Max radar detector is much better at alerting me to real threats.

JST 11-12-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 516299)
My experience is 75% of Waze police reports either already have someone pulled over or are no longer there. My Passport Max radar detector is much better at alerting me to real threats.

I've never found either radar detectors or Waze to be accurate enough to rely on. The former are illegal in VA and DC, so I haven't really been tempted to play with the most recent generation, though.

I also tend to drive where there is enough traffic that these devices seem superfluous.

ZBB 11-12-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 516284)
I use the one in the Tesla constantly, because it’s so easy to enter addresses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 516285)
Easier than waze?

Which also notifies you of police.

And does traffic-aware routing.

And remembers your recent addresses even if you hop into another car.

And..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 516292)
Yes easier than Waze, plus the screen is huge, and it has traffic aware routing.

The police thing has never really struck me as being complete enough to rely on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 516299)

I agree with JST… I use the nav in the Tesla for pretty much any trip more than a couple miles.
- Big screen
- Easy to enter destinations via Google search (either type or voice). it has home and work saved so are just 2 taps of the screen to select. I use voice search for most other locations -- just tap the voice button and say "Drive to X" and it does the google search -- if one place nearby it routes automatically, if multiple, it brings up a list of matches and you tap the one to go to
- Traffic-aware routing, and it will re-route on the fly based on a setting for how much time is saved (I have my car set to 5 min)…
- Traffic status (red/yellow/green lines) on the map

My only gripes are:
- Doesn't show accidents on the map. You could argue that "red" is enough to determine, but I find the red due just to rush hour usually isn't as bad as red due to an accident, where an alternate route would be better
- Sometimes the traffic updates happen slow -- so it will route you one way when you tell it, but in reality another route will be faster. It then corrects a couple min later. I didn't notice this until I moved -- I have 2 primary routes home from work now. The more direct route (~22 miles) often has very heavy traffic for about half my drive home. The longer route (~29) miles is usually clear or only has 1-3 miles of slowing traffic. The Tesla almost always routes me via the shorter route, even though the longer route can be 10-20 minutes faster. It usually corrects by the time I'm out of the garage at work though.

There are a couple of Waze viewers that are optimized for the Tesla web browser -- so I sometimes keep one of them on the bottom screen to get accident and police info. One of them also displays weather info (wind speed/direction and an overlay of weather radar), which is helpful on road trips (since headwinds result in more energy use). This is the one I use: https://teslawaze.azurewebsites.net

And I agree that most of the time the police alerts are mostly outdated. But I still find them helpful on road trips -- I don't usually drive more than 5 over the limit, but I'll just make sure I have a decoy deployed (ie someone who passes me…) for a few miles around a police icon :D

Nick M3 11-12-2017 11:32 AM

I let it go, but I have a deposit on one that’s optioned correctly.

Alan 11-12-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 516311)
I let it go, but I have a deposit on one that’s optioned correctly.

Come on ... no details ? Fill us in !!

Nick M3 11-12-2017 12:10 PM

Patience. I’m going to look at it and hopefully pick it up next weekend. :)

Nick M3 11-12-2017 12:13 PM

The one I let go is on sale for $38k now. When I first saw that, it half made me wonder if I made the right choice.

lemming 11-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 516316)
The one I let go is on sale for $38k now. When I first saw that, it half made me wonder if I made the right choice.

go Nick!!!!

you da Man. pull the trigger on the car and let us know the details.

Josh (PA) 11-12-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 516316)

I thought about suggesting "buy it, resell it and find the one you want for correct $$$" but figured that was too much effort.

In any case congrats on the future purchase.

Nick M3 11-12-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 516332)
I thought about suggesting "buy it, resell it and find the one you want for correct $$$" but figured that was too much effort.

In any case congrats on the future purchase.

If what I wanted was more difficult to find, I might have done that.

Nick M3 11-12-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 516296)
seems like a steal for that price. and seats are swappable, if it's a real dealbreaker (you would know this better than me, I would guess).

the real question long term is if the static weight of the car matched to that power delivery will suit what you're looking for -- in DC, the way that traffic tends to be, it exacerbates how much a car weighs at dead stop and whether or not the engine's power delivery is well matched for stop and go traffic.

i love the e90 m3, but it's flawed if used as a stop and go machine.

One of the great things about the E30 is that the M20 keeps me grounded. If everything starts feeling super slow, I spend a couple days driving that to recalibrate. Problem solved.

rumatt 11-12-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 516335)
One of the great things about the E30 is that the M20 keeps me grounded. If everything starts feeling super slow, I spend a couple days driving that to recalibrate. Problem solved.

Shouldn't you have gone for a 318 then? :)

clyde 11-12-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.ne...railer-005.jpg

Just going to leave this right here.

kognito 11-12-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 516337)
http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.ne...railer-005.jpg

Just going to leave this right here.

lemming 11-12-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

i love the top end of that motor. for sure.

John V 11-13-2017 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 516292)

Tesla nav is on a different planet than any of the other stuff that is available. It's a somewhat unfair comparison. In any other vehicle I prefer just using my phone with Google for active re-routing with Waze in the background as a supplement to situational awareness. Though Waze's refusal to fix some fundamental problems with their app is making me use it less and less.

Sunroofs universally suck, because they leak, they make noise (wind), they break and they remove headroom. I have opened the sunroof in the truck exactly once since purchasing it in July (August?) and that was to see how much clearance it would have to my garage door opener if I accidentally left it open and drove the truck in. :lol:

FC 11-13-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 516266)
At least it has the newer e90 nav.

Car for FC?

Strong no on that color combo. If I get an E90 it's in LeMans. Not up for debate.

But it's pretty close to a sure thing that we will get a new F80 in Europe.

Plaz 11-13-2017 12:31 PM

I've found Waze to be incredibly dependable in this particular heavily populated and traffic-y area. I've run into more speed trap reports where the cop has already moved on than traps that haven't yet been reported.

John V 11-13-2017 12:36 PM

It tends to be pretty good here, too, but I can't stand that they don't let you turn off warnings about hazards. It's a constant annoyance that makes the police warnings not worth it.

dan 11-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz (Post 516384)
I've found Waze to be incredibly dependable in this particular heavily populated and traffic-y area. I've run into more speed trap reports where the cop has already moved on than traps that haven't yet been reported.

yep same. Waze is why I have 0 interest in buying a radar detector ever again