carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   The Marketplace (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   FS: 2011 Porsche Boxster S (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=152177)

John V 07-30-2018 09:49 AM

FS: 2011 Porsche Boxster S

3 Attachment(s)
66,300 miles currently
2011 "S", 3.4L, direct injection. Speed yellow over black full leather, 6-speed manual (extremely hard to find)
Maintenance is up to date. Oil changes every 7,500 miles with Amsoil 5W40 Euro
Continental DW tires with > 50% tread at both ends (replaced at 45,000 miles)
Not driven in winter, only occasionally driven in rain
Clear bra on hood, front bumper and leading edge of front fenders
No damage either than minor stone chips
Front bumper has never been drilled for a license plate

Options:

XRR wheels (19x8.5 front, 19x10 rear) with painted center caps
Full leather interior (leather dash, doors, armrest, roll bar trim, door panels, etc) - a really nice option to have
Bose premium sound with subwoofer
Bi-Xenon headlights
Power driver and passenger seats (fore-aft, seatback angle, tilt, lumbar)
Floor mats
Wind blocker

Extras:

Porsche windshield sun shade
Front plate mount that screws into front tow hook
Clear front turn signal lenses (installed)
Aftermarket Bluetooth streaming audio (no 987 came with a streaming audio option)
Shifter modified with GT3 shift bushings and shimmed to eliminate slop

Maintenance / repairs performed

New high pressure fuel pump at ~ 58,000 miles, replaced under warranty by Porsche Silver Spring
New brake rotors and pads all around (OE Sebro rotors, OE Textar pads and sensors) - fronts done at 65,000 miles, rears done at 55,000 miles
Recent air filter and cabin filter
Spark Plugs replaced at 40,000 miles, due again at ~ 80,000 miles
Recent oil and filter change

Other info

I bought this car almost exactly four years ago with ~25,000 miles. It took about a year of searching to find a full-leather manual transmission car. There are tons of PDK cars out there, but it's hard to find a stick. It's really hard to find a color other than gray/silver. I had this one shipped from California. I used it as a daily driver on nice days and my wife and I used it for a lot of long trips up and down the east coast, so it has a lot of highway miles on it. It's a pretty killer road trip car. The top is insulated and wind noise is low in these cars compared to Miatas and S2000s.

It's in excellent condition. The edges of the clear bra are starting to show a little dirt in places, but it's not noticeable unless you're up close. There is a small ding on the passenger's side rear wheel arch that could easily be PDR'd, and I will try to get that done. Two of the wheels have chips in the clear coat from tire changes. No bends or curb rash, though. The interior has a couple of scratches on the driver's door panel leather. Other than that, it's pretty mint. The top is perfect and operates without issue.

$30k/obo

FC 07-30-2018 10:06 AM

I just got the M3, so I can't even consider it, but that's a great car in a good color.

Good luck!

rumatt 07-30-2018 11:46 AM

:eek:

That was fast.

rumatt 07-30-2018 11:48 AM

Your seats are actually quite rare as well. I'd make a point of that in the ad. They're very comfortable.

PS: Alex, why haven't you purchased this yet?

wdc330i 07-30-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 534186)
Your seats are actually quite rare as well. I'd make a point of that in the ad. They're very comfortable.

PS: Alex, why haven't you purchased this yet?

or JST?

John V 07-30-2018 01:28 PM

Alex's SO doesn't like yellow (makes me kind of worried for him, what other things is she wrong about? :D)

Josh's car has less mileage :lol:

And yeah, I guess when I make up my mind about something it's made up. I really love the car, but I like the idea of one fewer vehicle in the stable and I really like the money to finish the RX-8 and put a slug into my personal investments.

rumatt 07-30-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534194)
Alex's SO doesn't like yellow (makes me kind of worried for him, what other things is she wrong about? :D)

3...2...1 until Alex chimes in with "Well, she did marry me." :lol:

I don't like the yellow unfortunately. I'ts not happening, but I keep thinking, "Shit I could replace mine with this, be more comfortable in the seats, have the HPFP fixed already, and have 20+k in my pocket. :scratch:

BahnBaum 07-30-2018 03:02 PM

I’ve bought cars before from JV and I can’t imagine someone I’d rather buy from.

The yellow thing is secondary, the primary reason is I’m looking 981S instead. I’m just taking my time looking, so I can wait for the right one to show up. (But it won’t be yellow).

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JST 07-30-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534194)

Josh's car has less mileage :lol:

And yeah, I guess when I make up my mind about something it's made up. I really love the car, but I like the idea of one fewer vehicle in the stable and I really like the money to finish the RX-8 and put a slug into my personal investments.

Ha, yes on mileage. Plus it's pretty hard for me to get a solid bead on value for my car, but I'm guessing 23 or 24 is the best I could do. I'd love to have the 987.2 and the DFI engine, but it's hard for me to justify a c. 6-7K delta to get it.

I like the yellow, actually, though I will confess I like blue more. :)

clyde 07-30-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 534212)
I'd love to have the 987.2 and the DFI engine, but it's hard for me to justify a c. 6-7K delta to get it.

Yeah, but it also comes with a non-fucked up rear window, so, you know.

rumatt 07-30-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 534221)
Yeah, but it also comes with a non-fucked up rear window, so, you know.

I wrote that joke 3 different ways, then decided I couldn't go that to JST. :lol:

I don't see doing that upgrade. Too close... Particularly since Josh was thinking about dumping the car altogether.

ZBB 07-30-2018 08:50 PM

Nice. Good luck on the sale

Interesting when I bought my Boxster S, the only one I looked at was stick and full leather (in a special order color too...). Found it literally on the second day of looking, and it was only 120 miles away.

For selling it, it was roughly the same age (an ‘08 sold in ‘13, so 7 year old car), and I got exactly what you are asking for yours (although mine had fewer miles — around 44k)

I know you’ve decided it’s time to move on. But you will miss this car. I still miss mine 5 years later. Great memories.

Alan 07-30-2018 09:02 PM

Your ad looks great though I would add in there no accidents and original paint ... if it is ...

FC 07-30-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 534226)
I don't see doing that upgrade. Too close... Particularly since Josh was thinking about dumping the car altogether.

:+1

equ 07-30-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 534212)
Ha, yes on mileage. Plus it's pretty hard for me to get a solid bead on value for my car, but I'm guessing 23 or 24 is the best I could do. I'd love to have the 987.2 and the DFI engine, but it's hard for me to justify a c. 6-7K delta to get it.

I like the yellow, actually, though I will confess I like blue more. :)

Honestly, I'd say this would be completely worth it. It's not just the peace of mind, the engine is essentially the same from 2009 to 2016, that says something about how good it turned out. Revvy and fun...

John V 07-31-2018 07:56 AM

AF, it has no accidents in its history but I'm fairly certain the front bumper was repainted before I bought it. It was completely devoid of stone chips and it hadn't had a clear bra on it. Other than that as far as I can tell it's an original paint car.

rumatt 07-31-2018 12:16 PM

John, I would have thought your car was worth more than 30k. Is that because I'm used to looking at Caymans and they held a higher value?

rumatt 07-31-2018 12:29 PM

Also, before you sell, do a road trip to New York so we can swap cars and compare them back to back. :D

John V 07-31-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 534262)
John, I would have thought your car was worth more than 30k. Is that because I'm used to looking at Caymans and they held a higher value?

It is really hard to tell what these things are worth. KBB said it was worth 22k-24k. That seems low, and I wouldn't sell it for that. I could not find anything remotely comparable on any of the major private sale forums. Maybe BaT is the right answer here, but I'm simply not in a position where I can be sitting all day responding to asinine comments on their message board, and that seems like the generally-accepted requirement.

It's got some mileage on it, and that really hurts its resale value, despite the fact that it's been very well cared for and is in close to perfect condition. And yes, Boxsters are worth less than a comparable Cayman.

I'm half tempted to take it to Carmax and see what number they throw at me. I'm guessing it'll be something really low (like "We're just going to send this to auction" low) but at least it would be a datapoint.

lemming 08-03-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534265)
It is really hard to tell what these things are worth. KBB said it was worth 22k-24k. That seems low, and I wouldn't sell it for that. I could not find anything remotely comparable on any of the major private sale forums. Maybe BaT is the right answer here, but I'm simply not in a position where I can be sitting all day responding to asinine comments on their message board, and that seems like the generally-accepted requirement.

It's got some mileage on it, and that really hurts its resale value, despite the fact that it's been very well cared for and is in close to perfect condition. And yes, Boxsters are worth less than a comparable Cayman.

I'm half tempted to take it to Carmax and see what number they throw at me. I'm guessing it'll be something really low (like "We're just going to send this to auction" low) but at least it would be a datapoint.

the part about dealing with online clowns is a key point.

equ 08-03-2018 06:40 PM

Try a Carvana number, you don't have to go in person.

John V 08-06-2018 09:26 AM

So the Carvana number was kind of a worthless exercise. It just spat out the Kbb number, which was $22k trade-in. I suspect that's what CarMax would offer me, but who knows.

I'm flexible on price, but for $22k I'd honestly just keep it.

Jeff_DML 08-06-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534548)
So the Carvana number was kind of a worthless exercise. It just spat out the Kbb number, which was $22k trade-in. I suspect that's what CarMax would offer me, but who knows.

I'm flexible on price, but for $22k I'd honestly just keep it.

interesting, trade in value is pretty good for my turbo, will try out carmax. Anyone know if there is age limit on cars they take?

Nick M3 08-06-2018 12:08 PM

Carmax pretty much does KBB average trade in.

John V 08-06-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 534563)
interesting, trade in value is pretty good for my turbo, will try out carmax. Anyone know if there is age limit on cars they take?

My understanding is they will give you an offer on pretty much anything, but if it's not something they think they can sell fast you'll get the "we're going to take this to auction" price and you won't be happy. I have to imagine that's what they'd offer me on mine due to mileage, and probably yours given its age.

lemming 08-06-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 534563)

what are you doing, man?

equ 08-06-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 534595)
what are you doing, man?

Seriously, I thought he loved that thing.

clyde 08-06-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 534574)
My understanding is they will give you an offer on pretty much anything, but if it's not something they think they can sell fast you'll get the "we're going to take this to auction" price and you won't be happy. I have to imagine that's what they'd offer me on mine due to mileage, and probably yours given its age.

I have suspicions that Carmax offers lower prices on cars they don't *want right now* if you tell them you only want an offer as opposed to getting an offer after telling them you want to buy something on their lot. No easy way to test this, though.

JST 08-06-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 534604)
I have suspicions that Carmax offers lower prices on cars they don't *want right now* if you tell them you only want an offer as opposed to getting an offer after telling them you want to buy something on their lot. No easy way to test this, though.

Back a few years ago the offer they gave me on the E90 M3 was well above kbb, but I suspect that wouldn't necessarily be true of an older Porsche. And while yellow is a great color, it may make the car harder to retail.

On the other hand, they currently only have 4 Boxsters for sale nationwide, one of which is a 2009 S, so a) clearly they aren't scared of selling older Porsches, and b) maybe they'd give you a more aggressive price since they've got low stock.

If it's not too far a drive, it might be worth it just for giggles. Plus maybe they have some interesting stuff on the lot to look at while you're there.

Jeff_DML 08-06-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 534595)
what are you doing, man?

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...&postcount=131

clyde 08-07-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 534605)
Back a few years ago the offer they gave me on the E90 M3 was well above kbb, but I suspect that wouldn't necessarily be true of an older Porsche. And while yellow is a great color, it may make the car harder to retail.

On the other hand, they currently only have 4 Boxsters for sale nationwide, one of which is a 2009 S, so a) clearly they aren't scared of selling older Porsches, and b) maybe they'd give you a more aggressive price since they've got low stock.

If it's not too far a drive, it might be worth it just for giggles. Plus maybe they have some interesting stuff on the lot to look at while you're there.

Yes to all of that.

When I sold the 325xiT to them a few years ago, they gave me $1k more than they'd offered me for it a year earlier when it was a year less old, had fewer miles, a working a/c, less broken other stuff, and less rust.

ff 08-07-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 534605)
maybe they'd give you a more aggressive price since they've got low stock.

Absolutely, as long as there's demand for the car. I suspect that since we're on the downhill slope of summer, convertible sales in the north are probably on the steep decline. Though given the dealership network Carmax has, and how easy it is to have them ship stock anywhere, that may not be as much of an issue. Convertible season for us in FL is fall through spring, so they may very well put that car directly onto the first truck headed for Florida.