carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Drill-less front plate holder (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=72928)

Terri Kennedy 08-26-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 389690)
The X5 I'm in the process of buying is not pre-drilled for a front plate and I'd like to keep it that way. I know at least one person here has used a tow hook plate mount and was wondering if people had any other ideas or could point me toward a reputable company.

I assume you're less bothered about having a plate than about the idea of drilling holes?

UK plates are almost universally attached with double-sided foam tape. Though it may be that the foam is grippy enough that you'd have to damage the paint to remove it, leaving you with large(ish) rectangular areas rather than small holes that need plugs.

TD 08-26-2013 08:32 PM

I'm not inclined to jinx myself, but the VW sleeps outside and often parks outdoors in downtown Rockville and in Bethesda and it's been uneventful. We got a warning a couple of years ago for the M3 but I never put a plate on it - then again, it sleeps indoors.

The Audi has a front plate.

Josh (PA) 08-26-2013 09:27 PM

is there a way to zip tie it to one of the grilles? or can you put it on the dashboard (somewhat) facing out the front window?

SARAFIL 08-26-2013 11:26 PM

MA has annual inspection requirement and you need the plate to pass. Not to say you can't just attach it once a year, but something to think about.

bren 08-27-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 389719)
is there a way to zip tie it to one of the grilles? or can you put it on the dashboard (somewhat) facing out the front window?

Zip ties, and a tin guillotine on your dashboard - now we're really cooking. :ack: :p

zach 08-27-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 389723)
MA has annual inspection requirement and you need the plate to pass. Not to say you can't just attach it once a year, but something to think about.

Yeah. I'm going to have to get a plate on there somehow for the inspection. Great. Maybe I should just have the dealer put on the standard plate mount.

JST 08-27-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 389731)
Yeah. I'm going to have to get a plate on there somehow for the inspection. Great. Maybe I should just have the dealer put on the standard plate mount.

The other nice thing about the plate is that in street parking it acts as protection for your bumper.

zach 08-27-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 389747)
The other nice thing about the plate is that in street parking it acts as protection for your bumper.

True. I need to find the OEM BMW front plate mount for an m-sport X5 to see what it looks like.

bren 08-27-2013 12:01 PM

www.realoem.com

:D

zach 08-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 389752)

You rock. Thanks!