carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   X1 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158874)

wdc330i 12-05-2019 01:34 PM

X1

How does a search of our forum not turn up any X1 Posts?

At any rate. Drove an Xdrive version today. Blech. No way that's in the running for the future. Torque steer was apparent at every curve+acceleration. No reason to buy it/pay the BMW premium over any other Japanese SUV out there.

robg 12-05-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 554402)

At any rate. Drove an Xdrive version today. Blech. No way that's in the running for the future. Torque steer was apparent at every curve+acceleration. No reason to buy it/pay the BMW premium over any other Japanese SUV out there.

My mom has one and I've driven it several times (once on a 200 mile road trip). I actually like the looks of it and the interior seems high quality for the price. Has enough power, etc. My main issue with it is just that it felt very "bouncy" to the point that it made me car sick. Maybe if it had adaptive dampers it would be better- or maybe it was something wrong with hers. I think if you compare it with compact Japanese SUVs, the x1 would be quicker, look better and has better tech -- so there is an argument to be made for it. You can usually find pretty aggressive lease deals on them as well. That being said, my mom doesn't seem too thrilled with it (though she doesnt have specific reasons).

wdc330i 12-05-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 554407)
My mom has one and I've driven it several times (once on a 200 mile road trip). I actually like the looks of it and the interior seems high quality for the price. Has enough power, etc. My main issue with it is just that it felt very "bouncy" to the point that it made me car sick. Maybe if it had adaptive dampers it would be better- or maybe it was something wrong with hers. I think if you compare it with compact Japanese SUVs, the x1 would be quicker, look better and has better tech -- so there is an argument to be made for it. You can usually find pretty aggressive lease deals on them as well. That being said, my mom doesn't seem too thrilled with it (though she doesnt have specific reasons).

Yes. I suppose I might lease one. But I really don't even want to drive it...at least not as speced. Now, this one was a relatively stripped Xdrive. But, woof.

I still have to try out the Mazda CX5.

I drove an X3 M40 as well. And of course, I was MUCH happier with that. However, it had a lot of lean in tight turns. It was an Msport, but with the standard suspension and no handling packages. It would have to have those for me to buy.

All that said, I was delighted to get back in my little 2 series.

robg 12-05-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 554408)
Yes. I suppose I might lease one. But I really don't even want to drive it...at least not as speced. Now, this one was a relatively stripped Xdrive. But, woof.

I still have to try out the Mazda CX5.

I drove an X3 M40 as well. And of course, I was MUCH happier with that. However, it had a lot of lean in tight turns. It was an Msport, but with the standard suspension and no handling packages. It would have to have those for me to buy.

All that said, I was delighted to get back in my little 2 series.

Yeah, it's always going to feel weird test driving an SUV coming from a 2 series. When I was looking at x3 40s, I noticed that it was really hard to find one on a dealer lot with adaptive dampers. And if it did have them, it also had the larger wheels (which personally I wouldnt want). Of course, it's easy/fast enough to custom order one given that they build them in the US, but you probably can't negotiate quite as good of a deal. In thinking about it, I guess a CX5 would be better than an x1 in nearly every way except infotainment.

wdc330i 12-05-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 554410)
Yeah, it's always going to feel weird test driving an SUV coming from a 2 series. When I was looking at x3 40s, I noticed that it was really hard to find one on a dealer lot with adaptive dampers. And if it did have them, it also had the larger wheels (which personally I wouldnt want). Of course, it's easy/fast enough to custom order one given that they build them in the US, but you probably can't negotiate quite as good of a deal. In thinking about it, I guess a CX5 would be better than an x1 in nearly every way except infotainment.

Yes, the huge wheel thing does add a complicating factor for cars on the lot. My best bet is an "executive car" slightly used deal. They tend to have some esoteric options. Atlanta is a strong market for those cars, as we are a big BMW region and close to S.C.

I'd have to wait for the 2020s to come through, though, as they have the better engine tweak.

equ 12-05-2019 02:34 PM

I drove a loaded x2 some months back; while I was doing the new G-series 3er mock auto-x. While the new 3er is decent, the x2 was quite terrible. There was nothing special about its ride and handling. But it did have mini-roundels on its C-pillars, yo!

clyde 12-05-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 554402)

Because ayn long ago configured search to not search to not actually conduct searches for terms with fewer than 4 characters. At the time, he was concerned about performance impacts on other things running on the server.

wdc330i 12-05-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 554413)
I drove a loaded x2 some months back; while I was doing the new G-series 3er mock auto-x. While the new 3er is decent, the x2 was quite terrible. There was nothing special about its ride and handling. But it did have mini-roundels on its C-pillars, yo!

I wondered about that, and looked at one on the floor. It has an LSD, too, and the higher hp 4 cylinder engine. But it's the same FWD platform as the X1.

Part of the calculus in driving these cars was also to see if I could live without my 2 to get one. And, given my feeling upon getting back into my car, the answer is no.

wdc330i 12-05-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 554416)
Because ayn long ago configured search to not search to not actually conduct searches for terms with fewer than 4 characters. At the time, he was concerned about performance impacts on other things running on the server.

Ah.

robg 12-05-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 554417)
I wondered about that, and looked at one on the floor. It has an LSD, too, and the higher hp 4 cylinder engine. But it's the same FWD platform as the X1.

Part of the calculus in driving these cars was also to see if I could live without my 2 to get one. And, given my feeling upon getting back into my car, the answer is no.

Ah- didn't realize the 2 series would have to go. Yeah, you definitely would not want to give up a 2 series for an x1 if at all possible