carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I want a truck (I think?) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=140472)

rumatt 10-15-2017 11:56 PM

I want a truck (I think?)

I keep wanting a truck. 3 times in the past 3 months I've wanted to have a truck to haul shit. Home ownership is a bitch.

The problem is I need to sell 1 or more cars to accomplish this.

Option 1: Sell E91 wagon. Own: E46, Cayman, Truck

The truck would need to be reasonable to drive any time it might snow. I kind of want a Colorado or Tacoma, but the 2017 Ridgeline :ack: is the most car-like and actually has the more reasonable AWD system for snowy roads. But they're all too expensive for me if I keep the Porsche.

My neighbor has a 2012 Tacoma with a manual transmission. It's a cute little truck that I could see owning, but the 4WD system is lame. It's basically 2wd: a locked center diff with open front and rear differentials. Good enough for snow? Maybe, but a step down from any modern AWD system, so I could see myself wanting to keep the wagon.

Option 2: Sell Cayman. Own: E46, E91 Wagon, Truck

I'm finding myself more and more thinking that sports cars are dumb. Where I live, anyway. The Cayman is awesome, but it's like driving an F1 car at 25 MPH. I keep feeling like I'm using 10% of the car's potential 95% of the time. I take joy in owning the right tool for the job, and the Cayman rarely feels like the right tool for my day to day activities. I don't get excited to drive it to work often, and when I do I end up driving way too fast.

In this scenario I'd be keeping the wagon so the truck's 4wd snow performance wouldn't be important. I could buy any old cheap truck for hauling shit. But with the truck always clogging up my driveway and rarely being driven, I'm pretty sure I'd be asking myself over and over, do I really need a truck AND a wagon???

Option 3. Sell Porsche AND wagon. Own: E46 + Truck

If I could find a truck that I was happy to drive in the winter, I could go down to 2 cars. This would make me very excited because I have a 2 car garage, and my driveway makes parking a 3rd car annoying. And for a winter vehicle, the Ridgeline :ack: is actually winning due to the reasons above.

But shit, I can't get excited about a Ridgeline. Should I go for a Raptor? So I can drive it around in 2-inches of snow and feel manly? :bustingup or maybe a Colorado ZR2

John V 10-16-2017 07:03 AM

Dude.
I

Uh

WTF

JST 10-16-2017 07:50 AM

The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.

When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck. At the same time, maybe something with an enclosed back end would be useful for biking related tasks? And are you sure a utility trailer and a hitch for the wagon isn't enough?

In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/

I was going to say that the new Jeep pickup thing is on the horizon, and I'd wait and see what that looks like. With a cap on it, it might serve more than one purpose. But checking it looks like production isn't going to start until 2019.

If you want to sell the Porsche, that makes sense, but I wouldn't replace it with a truck. I would replace the wagon with a truck and then make the choice about the truck at some point in the future.

rumatt 10-16-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 514060)
Dude.
I

Uh

WTF

Was it the dissing sports cars... or considering a Ridgeline that did it?. :D

I want a Colorado the most. Or a manual transmission Tacoma. But they have their own issues.

Odds of me ending up with a truck are low. Can't come up with a plan I'm happy with.

rumatt 10-16-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 514061)
The wagon is basically a truck already, so it seems to me that if you want to get a truck you should sell that.

Makes sense. I just don't have a lot of budget left for a fancy truck if I keep the Cayman. It would have to be cheap-ish, and still be my winter car.

Quote:

When you say "haul shit" I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you need (or think you need?) a pickup truck.
The latest was that I was offered some free firewood. I'm considering renting a home Depot truck... Or tossing it in the back of the wagon and see if I break a spring.

Quote:

In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this.
Perfect.

wdc330i 10-16-2017 08:15 AM

A hitch and small utility trailer for the wagon make the most sense.

But, yeah, I want a truck, too.

A Ridgeline is a very sensible crossover Swiss Army knife thing. My MIL had one. But it’s not really a truck, so it might not scratch the deeper itch.

FIL has a Ram; that is a real truck. It does not fit in his garage.

We’re strunggling with how to schlep the tandem kayak we just bought, along with bicycles and a roofbox. We have a hitch on the X, so I’m eyeing trailers as well. We have a hitch-mounted bike rack and a J-rack for the kayak on the roof bar. But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.

Plaz 10-16-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 514061)
In conclusion, the obvious answer is "used G wagen." Or used Defender 110. Or this. https://bringatrailer.com/2017/10/14...3a1-scout-car/

:lol:

rumatt 10-16-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514065)
But the kayak is a PITA to hoist onto the roof rack. And who wants to drive on the highway towing anything? Blah blah. Stuck.

A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck. :dunno:

wdc330i 10-16-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514067)
A friend of mine was having trouble getting her kayak onto the roof of her Subaru. She said she bought a different rack with rollers on the back and she loves it. She loads it from the back of the car and once it's on the rollers she can just walk it forward.

But she also mentioned that it ends up touching the car before hitting the rollers and that sounded awful to me - so maybe these suck. :dunno:

That would be perfect, but we have flush rails and Thule Aerobars, which preclude using any of the racks with rollers or hoists. There is a hoist gizmo that uses the hitch, so we may look into that. Something like this, but I hope less expensive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SA8JGIG?psc=1 because trailers aren't much more and would offer the advantage of hauling another kayak or more stuff.

3LOU5 10-16-2017 09:44 AM

U-Haul pickup.

$19.99/day.

Done.

:D

rumatt 10-16-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 514075)
U-Haul pickup.

$19.99/day.

Done.

:D

Are they really that cheap? I'll look into it.

3LOU5 10-16-2017 09:47 AM

BTW, I LOVE my 1/2-ton shod with BFG All-Terrains.

It's a beast in deep snow and a capable tow vehicle.

3LOU5 10-16-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514077)
Are they really that cheap? I'll look into it.

Oh yeah.

At least, in NV they are.

Josh (PA) 10-16-2017 09:50 AM

Uhaul charges by the mile as well. I get mine from Enterprise (they rent trucks and box vans), like $49 / day with unlimited miles.

wdc330i 10-16-2017 09:59 AM

UHaul also rents utility trailers. :beatdeadh

bren 10-16-2017 10:00 AM

The wagon was a dumb idea from the start. ;)

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514084)
UHaul also rents utility trailers. :beatdeadh

Yeah but can you haul wood with them?

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 514085)
The wagon was a dumb idea from the start. ;)

Maybe. :lol:

OK the shorter version of my way-too-long original post is:

If you're buying a truck, do you try to find one that also makes a good winter vehicle? Or do you go for a utilitarian beater?

wdc330i 10-16-2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514086)
Yeah but can you haul wood with them?

Absolutely. Could also pay to have wood delivered and stacked. ;)

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514088)
Absolutely. Could also pay to have wood delivered and stacked. ;)

I know. :banghead:

I like doing things myself... but when it stars to cost more than having someone else do it for you it's just ridiculous.

bren 10-16-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514087)
Maybe. :lol:

OK the shorter version of my way-too-long original post is:

If you're buying a truck, do you try to find one that also makes a good winter vehicle? Or do you go for a utilitarian beater?

I would get something you can live with. A trailer might make more sense than a beater truck.

The Ridgeline is interesting, but for the ugly, and the bed that is so small I'm not sure why you'd bother.

That Colorado zr2 looks pretty cool, but you can get a lot of full-size truck for that kind of money.

Keep in mind that trucks with "trucky" 4wd systems aren't really great in normal inclement weather. They don't want to be in 4wd on any sort of dryish road. Also, there is no weight in the back so traction can be an issue.

edit:
I really don't know how people own homes without a truck. Mine comes in handy all the time.

edit II:
I don't know how much firewood you are thinking of hauling or how regularly, but you'll never even get a half-cord of wood on a utility trailer, or in a Colorado size truck.

Josh (PA) 10-16-2017 10:15 AM

Home Depot rents trucks by the hour if there is one closer than the U Haul place, but I'd just toss the wood in the back of the wagon and call it a day.

bren 10-16-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 514092)
...I'd just toss the wood in the back of the wagon and call it a day.

You could get one of those cargo area liner things and toss wood back there until it's on the bump stops. How far is the drive home? :eeps:

wdc330i 10-16-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 514093)
You could get one of those cargo area liner things and toss wood back there until it's on the bump stops. How far is the drive home? :eeps:

Yeah, what tires are on the car?

A tarp would work as well. I'm sure we've hauled wood in the 5 and the 3 wagons we had. But just from our shed in Rappahannock up to the house. When we got the tractor and a trailer, that was a much better solution.

Edit: Now you can add tractor to the wishlist. :)

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514095)
Yeah, what tires are on the car?

Mismatched, since one of the BBS RK's broke.

Quote:

Edit: Now you can add tractor to the wishlist. :)
I was looking at this trackbarrow over the weekend.

I have a steep yard and it's difficult for me to get anything heavy up or down to the lake. No room for a car. And soon I'm going to cut down several trees so I need to get the wood up somehow. I figure that thing would break after about 3 months of use and be a general pain in the ass though.

The other option is a gas powered winch to drag the logs up.

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 514090)
Keep in mind that trucks with "trucky" 4wd systems aren't really great in normal inclement weather. They don't want to be in 4wd on any sort of dryish road. Also, there is no weight in the back so traction can be an issue.

Yep, this is why the Ridgeline is pretty attractive as a regular use winter vehicle. The bed is pretty stupid though. And yes, the ugly.

Aren't the "trucky" 4wd systems kind of silly unless you're off roading? Plus they generally come with open front and rear diffs, so it's still just 2wd. It doesn't seem like the functionality most people would want. I think the up side is durability, but other than that...

wdc330i 10-16-2017 10:42 AM

That trackbarrow thing is crazy.

rumatt 10-16-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 514102)
That trackbarrow thing is crazy.

wdc330i 10-16-2017 10:50 AM

Now I see why you want one. It comes with a manual transmission. :lol:

Edit: We've had one of these for years. Won't help with a huge incline, though. https://www.amazon.com/FoldIt-2200-U...it+garden+cart

dan 10-16-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 514092)
Home Depot rents trucks by the hour if there is one closer than the U Haul place, but I'd just toss the wood in the back of the wagon and call it a day.

Not if you're not buying something from them to haul. At least here they don't

Josh (PA) 10-16-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514097)

I have a steep yard and it's difficult for me to get anything heavy up or down to the lake. No room for a car. And soon I'm going to cut down several trees so I need to get the wood up somehow. .

Lake solution:
[pic too big]http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/attachments/general-atv-discussion/188169d1266967976-need-small-trailer-behind-atv-dscf7009.jpg[/pic too big]

Edit: I give up someone please edit the pic size for me...
It's a ATV hauling a utility trailer full of firewood

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...ct_logging.jpg

or better yet this one:
http://www.atvsource.com/images/arti...log_loader.jpg

bren 10-16-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514101)
Yep, this is why the Ridgeline is pretty attractive as a regular use winter vehicle. The bed is pretty stupid though. And yes, the ugly.

Aren't the "trucky" 4wd systems kind of silly unless you're off roading? Plus they generally come with open front and rear diffs, so it's still just 2wd. It doesn't seem like the functionality most people would want. I think the up side is durability, but other than that...

That's why I brought it up. It's fine in deep snow and mud and whatnot, but not great for ice/slush type winter stuff. My truck has a clutch-diff in the rear. I wouldn't buy something without one (see my comment in the diff thread.) Fortunately, it doesn't cost anything near as much to add them to trucks as it does for a BMW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514097)

I was looking at this trackbarrow over the weekend.

One of my neighbors has something like that but with regular tires. I was getting jealous watching him use it to spread mulch - it looks super handy.

Edit:
Woa, I didn't need to know that this exists.

https://www.mucktruck.com/images/IMG...&shrink=false&

rumatt 10-16-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 514107)
One of my neighbors has something like that but with regular tires. I was getting jealous watching him use it to spread mulch - it looks super handy.

bren 10-16-2017 11:12 AM

His actually has a platform to stand on and "ride" along. I think it's this one:

http://smhttp.39172.nexcesscdn.net/8...q/mqpbuggy.jpg

rumatt 10-16-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 514107)
Woa, I didn't need to know that this exists.

https://www.mucktruck.com/images/IMG...&shrink=false&

You can get plows for your snowblower too. I'm not sure how well they work though.

I can't imagine you could push all that much snow with that thing before the wheels slip. The barrow only weighs 300 lbs.

Seems like a snowblower is just better all around.

bren 10-16-2017 11:56 AM

That pic certainly doesn't make it look very effective. What I really want is a plow for my truck, but I think I need a bigger driveway first. :)

Josh (PA) 10-16-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 514112)
You can get plows for your snowblower too. I'm not sure how well they work though.

I can't imagine you could push all that much snow with that thing before the wheels slip. The barrow only weighs 300 lbs.

Seems like a snowblower is just better all around.

Sense the theme:?:

https://jetimages.azureedge.net/md5/...e4b282dc5a.500

wdc330i 10-16-2017 01:22 PM

We should split this into a new thread about coveted power tools.

John V 10-16-2017 01:29 PM

Once I was given a zero-turn lawn tractor I found the urge to buy things for it fairly irresistible. Things like a gas-powered leaf vacuum. And now my wife wants to buy a wagon to tow behind it.

Bren, I have no desire for a plow but I've got the long driveway. :lol:

wdc330i 10-16-2017 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We had just bought this before we sold the house in the mountains (and the garden tractor). Sigh.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/products...ar_blades.page