carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   G87 M2 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159880)

SCA 07-23-2021 08:41 AM

G87 M2

10 Attachment(s)
I figured an official thread might as well be started. Sixteen months until SOP begins, allegedly December 2022.

New spy photos attached below. It appears that the recently leaked front bumper cover may be legit.

Jeff_DML 07-23-2021 11:11 AM

so you get squares or triangles :)

SCA 07-23-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 574989)
so you get squares or triangles :)

It appears so. A very lackluster design team at BMW these days. Oh well, at least it will not have the beaver teeth. Grateful for that!

BMWBLOG recent post re spy pics: https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/07/23/n...leaked-photos/

Theo 07-23-2021 01:53 PM

That last pic! Those hips! This will sell a ton if it’s not 70k.

SCA 07-23-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 575000)
That last pic! Those hips! This will sell a ton if it’s not 70k.

Right… it has potential. The new M240 did not see a significant price increase. The same is currently expected for the G87. Fingers crossed…

SCA 07-27-2021 03:58 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Latest round of spy photos. No clue what is up with that X vehicle following it (kidneys).

ZBB 07-27-2021 04:33 PM

Hopefully both the 2 and SUV indicate they are giving up on the vertical kidneys…

robg 07-27-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 575130)
Hopefully both the 2 and SUV indicate they are giving up on the vertical kidneys…

I think they are going back to the Bangle-era idea of trying to give each series a unique look/identitiy. So its possible the 2 gets to retain normal kidneys while the 4 series gets the buck teeth... and the 7 series becomes one giant grille

SARAFIL 07-27-2021 08:42 PM

The X in the background is a current gen X5 - looks like an X5M LCI test car.

SCA 07-27-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 575140)
The X in the background is a current gen X5 - looks like an X5M LCI test car.

I always have trouble differentiating the front of G01 X3 from G05 X5. That is about the change with the X3 LCI.

SCA 08-22-2021 10:08 PM

Tumbleweeds… we have not seen much regarding the G87 lately. G42 production was originally scheduled to begin this month, August. Allegedly that has not happened and from my understanding the ordering guides have not even been released to centers as of yet. My center source also informed me that there is currently only twelve allocations in the entire country for the new M240.

wdc330i 08-22-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 575929)
Tumbleweeds… we have not seen much regarding the G87 lately. G42 production was originally scheduled to begun this month, August. That has not happened from my understanding and the ordering guides have not even been released to centers as of yet. My center source also informed me that there is currently only twelve allocations in the entire country for the new M240.

Wow. My son now has his learner’s permit. Gulp. And he keeps asking for me to take him out in the 2. Um, no. The Mazda or nothing, buddy.

SCA 08-22-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 575933)
Wow. My son now has his learner’s permit. Gulp. And he keeps asking for me to take him out in the 2. Um, no. The Mazda or nothing, buddy.

When my son had his learner’s permit (15) he attended the two day teen school at the performance center. They were mostly in M235s or F30 335s. I highly recommend this school for any teen driver. FYI, paying parents receive 15% off if they are a BMW CCA member.

lip277 08-23-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 575933)

I was about 17 when my dad started having me do deliveries (in a 4 ton flatbed). By 18 I was driving one of our 2000 gallon delivery trucks https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7711ed55_b.jpg
Like this - just nicer - it was almost 40 years ago after all - lol

I also drove our new-ish Mercedes 300SD and Ford Country Squire wagon as well. I remember one time my dad's partner had me go to the bank driving his R107 Mercedes... now - THAT was nice!!!

For a current example - I am working with my 16 year old niece to let her drive the 997... with me along... both to let her know what driving a stick feels like - as well as show her a bit of confidence on how she is doing and that I trust her....

YMMV as always....

clyde 08-23-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 575934)

When my son had his learner’s permit (15) he attended the two day teen school at the performance center. They were mostly in M235s or F30 335s. I highly recommend this school for any teen driver. FYI, paying parents receive 15% off if they are a BMW CCA member.

There is also the Tire Rack Street Survival School. They are hosted by a variety of clubs (BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA, etc). There's one coming up next month at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I've been meaning to get both of my kids to one.

https://streetsurvival.org/

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 575935)
I was about 17 when my dad started having me do deliveries (in a 4 ton flatbed). By 18 I was driving one of our 2000 gallon delivery trucks https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7711ed55_b.jpg
Like this - just nicer - it was almost 40 years ago after all - lol

I also drove our new-ish Mercedes 300SD and Ford Country Squire wagon as well. I remember one time my dad's partner had me go to the bank driving his R107 Mercedes... now - THAT was nice!!!

For a current example - I am working with my 16 year old niece to let her drive the 997... with me along... both to let her know what driving a stick feels like - as well as show her a bit of confidence on how she is doing and that I trust her....

YMMV as always....

That is pretty awesome. The truck. :D

They livery is fantastic!

I've been trying to get my 17yo daughter to try driving the Camaro, but she's still afraid of it (and me, I guess).

wdc330i 08-23-2021 08:02 PM

Great ideas, guys. And very viable for us where we live. (Except Kevin’s suggestion, LOL.)

Right now my son is toggling between the Mazda and the ex’s Tesla. Quite the toggle!

Of course, he’s pushing both of us for the BMW and the Porsche!

JST 08-23-2021 08:21 PM

I’ve been slowly introducing K1 to driving. She’s still 15, so it’s only parking lots at this point. I miss having a big driveway and/or school campus; that made it a lot easier when I was that age.

So far she’s only been allowed to drive the sticks; the Porsche is ironically a lot easier to learn on than the BMW, so it’s been mostly Porsche time.

Still need to figure out what the long term solution is for when she gets a license. Probably not a Blackwing?

Josh (PA) 08-23-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 575950)

I've been trying to get my 17yo daughter to try driving the Camaro, but she's still afraid of it (and me, I guess).

how is the e46 working out for you guys?

ZBB 08-23-2021 11:04 PM

My daughter turns 15 in Jan and can get her permit then. We’ve been toying with buying something with a stick to teach her on. But realistically, she will never drive a stick car — everything will be an EV and won’t need any shifting…. But I’ll keep looking…

One Tesla tip…. Create a driver profile for the kid. Tesla now saves almost all settings in each drivers profile. Then set acceleration mode to chill while the kid is learning. It reduces acceleration speeds by 20-30% - so still faster than most other cars, but less risky for someone learning…

Looking back at how I learned to drive…. I started driving when I was 6 — we had a ranch and I could drive an automatic ‘56 Chevy pickup we kept at the ranch as long as an adult was with me and we didn’t leave the ranch. When I was 7, I leaned to drive stick on a ‘69 Ford pickup we also kept at the ranch. But we sold the ranch a couple years later… Then when I got my permit at 15 1/2, my grandmother insisted I visit her at their summer house so I could learn to drive. They had a ‘67 Beetle that we’d spend a good couple hours in each day, and by the end of the week, I could do hill starts. She even let me drive her ‘83 Supra (also stick) by the end of the week…

clyde 08-23-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 575954)
I’ve been slowly introducing K1 to driving. She’s still 15, so it’s only parking lots at this point. I miss having a big driveway and/or school campus; that made it a lot easier when I was that age.

So far she’s only been allowed to drive the sticks; the Porsche is ironically a lot easier to learn on than the BMW, so it’s been mostly Porsche time.

Still need to figure out what the long term solution is for when she gets a license. Probably not a Blackwing?

Checking FB marketplace a few times a day for a long time until the right cars at the right asking prices showed up worked for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 575957)
how is the e46 working out for you guys?

Great! Still need to do bushings. And we discovered that one of the headlight housings needs replacement due to a non-stellar bulb replacement under previous ownership that melted the housing enough to prevent proper seating of a new bulb, so I'm probably going to add projectors.

She's loving driving it. She added a bluetooth module, fixed a flat, replaced cabin air filter, engine air filter, windshield washer pump, replaced headliner, and watched me change oil and oil filter. Couldn't be much happier with how it's worked out so far.

Josh (PA) 08-24-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 575960)
Checking FB marketplace a few times a day for a long time until the right cars at the right asking prices showed up worked for me.

Great! Still need to do bushings. And we discovered that one of the headlight housings needs replacement due to a non-stellar bulb replacement under previous ownership that melted the housing enough to prevent proper seating of a new bulb, so I'm probably going to add projectors.

She's loving driving it. She added a bluetooth module, fixed a flat, replaced cabin air filter, engine air filter, windshield washer pump, replaced headliner, and watched me change oil and oil filter. Couldn't be much happier with how it's worked out so far.

Awesome, that mirrors my experience too even down to the melted headlight housing. I took mine out, trimmed the melted area off and was able to get the bulb receptacle to seat properly. You can get "off road" 65watt low beam/high beam halogens that brighten things up measurably if you don't want to spend the $$ on projectors.

wdc330i 08-24-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 575959)

One Tesla tip…. Create a driver profile for the kid. Tesla now saves almost all settings in each drivers profile. Then set acceleration mode to chill while the kids is learning. It reduces acceleration speeds by 20-30% - so still faster than most other cars, but less risky for someone learning…

Great tip. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 575960)

This is so awesome!

lip277 08-24-2021 11:18 AM

I wasn't saying go out and learn to drive using a gas truck - LOL.....

Just that my parents trusted me (and both my brothers as they came to the same age) to drive all the family vehicles as well the smaller work delivery trucks. Back then you could drive a 2000 gallon fuel delivery truck without having to get a CDL... that is not the case today - but back then was ok. I didn't just go out and start driving though - I did a couple of deliveries with my dad riding shotgun - and that was more about knowing how to work the tank valves and pumps than actually drive the thing - lol

I say that as my father trusted us kids with this stuff - we knew when to goof off - but that did not happen when it shouldn't. :)

wdc330i 08-24-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 575934)

Looks like Porsche in ATL has a one-day version for those with a full license--16 to 24.

clyde 08-24-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 575963)
Awesome, that mirrors my experience too even down to the melted headlight housing. I took mine out, trimmed the melted area off and was able to get the bulb receptacle to seat properly. You can get "off road" 65watt low beam/high beam halogens that brighten things up measurably if you don't want to spend the $$ on projectors.

We'll figure out what we're going to do soon. It's working well enough that I don't feel like it needs to be done today.

Theo 08-24-2021 09:29 PM

So much for the M2 content. LOL

There is none right now anyway so these stories are cool in it’s place. =)

clyde 08-25-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576028)
So much for the M2 content. LOL

There is none right now anyway so these stories are cool in it’s place. =)

Um, uh, whoops? :eeps:

Theo 08-26-2021 10:15 AM

While we are waiting for G87 content here is the G42 buyers guide.

Some interesting options.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1629922358

dan 08-26-2021 10:22 AM

240 is xDrive only?

dan 08-26-2021 10:23 AM

Portimao Blue looks hot

Theo 08-26-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 576100)
240 is xDrive only?

I heard somewhere the rwd version is coming after launch at some point. But still no stick for non G87’s.

SCA 08-26-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576099)
While we are waiting for G87 content here is the G42 buyers guide.

Some interesting options.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1629922358

Nice… thanks! I have been wanting to see this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 576101)
Portimao Blue looks hot

You would think so, but it is just okay in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576103)
I heard somewhere the rwd version is coming after launch at some point. But still no stick for non G87’s.

My source has stated the same as above.

SARAFIL 08-26-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576103)

At launch they are offering RWD 230 and AWD M240, and will release the other two combos later.

SCA 08-31-2021 12:19 AM

2023 G87 M2 spied at the Nürburgring https://youtu.be/T1EbbVsve_g

SCA 09-03-2021 10:49 PM

Build your own G42 configurator is online

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...series/2/coupe

lip277 09-04-2021 01:26 AM

I went through the BMW web page for selecting the model car to select for the configurator tool...

Damn - It just shows how messed up these cars have gotten... For most cars, the kidney grills are WAY oversize or look like meat graters or have chamfered corners... Either way - they are just ugly....

wdc330i 09-04-2021 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 576353)
I went through the BMW web page for selecting the model car to select for the configurator tool...

Damn - It just shows how messed up these cars have gotten... For most cars, the kidney grills are WAY oversize or look like meat graters or have chamfered corners... Either way - they are just ugly....

Apparently there is an emerging problem that the grills (at least on the F22/F23s) allow rocks to hit the radiator. (I am hoping they have more protection for the mega grill cars.) Some 2 owners are adding screening behind the grill to try to preempt the problem.

SCA 09-04-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576360)
Apparently there is an emerging problem that the grills (at least on the F22/F23s) allow rocks to hit the radiator. (I am hoping they have more protection for the mega grill cars.) Some 2 owners are adding screening behind the grill to try to preempt the problem.

There is a ‘17 F85 X5 M at a local euro independent shop that is owned by a former BMW technician and most of the BMW technicians that were at our local BMW Center now work there. lol Anyways a rock flew up at highway speed and bam it needs a new engine at 40,000 miles. The cost to replace, over $50k for a new S63 with labor.

From the tech working on it. “drained liquid cooled intercoolers connected to radiator”

wdc330i 09-04-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 576362)
There is a ‘17 F85 X5 M at a local euro independent shop that is owned by a former BMW technician and most of the BMW technicians that were at our local BMW Center now work there. lol Anyways a rock flew up at highway speed and bam it needs a new engine at 40,000 miles. The cost to replace, over $50k for a new S63 with labor.

From the tech working on it. “drained liquid cooled intercoolers connected to radiator”

OMG.

SCA 09-04-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 576363)
OMG.

Right… used S63 going in it for $25k.