carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   G87 M2 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159880)

Josh (PA) 08-24-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 575960)
Checking FB marketplace a few times a day for a long time until the right cars at the right asking prices showed up worked for me.

Great! Still need to do bushings. And we discovered that one of the headlight housings needs replacement due to a non-stellar bulb replacement under previous ownership that melted the housing enough to prevent proper seating of a new bulb, so I'm probably going to add projectors.

She's loving driving it. She added a bluetooth module, fixed a flat, replaced cabin air filter, engine air filter, windshield washer pump, replaced headliner, and watched me change oil and oil filter. Couldn't be much happier with how it's worked out so far.

Awesome, that mirrors my experience too even down to the melted headlight housing. I took mine out, trimmed the melted area off and was able to get the bulb receptacle to seat properly. You can get "off road" 65watt low beam/high beam halogens that brighten things up measurably if you don't want to spend the $$ on projectors.

wdc330i 08-24-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 575959)

One Tesla tip…. Create a driver profile for the kid. Tesla now saves almost all settings in each drivers profile. Then set acceleration mode to chill while the kids is learning. It reduces acceleration speeds by 20-30% - so still faster than most other cars, but less risky for someone learning…

Great tip. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 575960)

She's loving driving it. She added a bluetooth module, fixed a flat, replaced cabin air filter, engine air filter, windshield washer pump, replaced headliner, and watched me change oil and oil filter. Couldn't be much happier with how it's worked out so far.

This is so awesome!

lip277 08-24-2021 11:18 AM

I wasn't saying go out and learn to drive using a gas truck - LOL.....

Just that my parents trusted me (and both my brothers as they came to the same age) to drive all the family vehicles as well the smaller work delivery trucks. Back then you could drive a 2000 gallon fuel delivery truck without having to get a CDL... that is not the case today - but back then was ok. I didn't just go out and start driving though - I did a couple of deliveries with my dad riding shotgun - and that was more about knowing how to work the tank valves and pumps than actually drive the thing - lol

I say that as my father trusted us kids with this stuff - we knew when to goof off - but that did not happen when it shouldn't. :)

wdc330i 08-24-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 575934)

When my son had his learner’s permit (15) he attended the two day teen school at the performance center. They were mostly in M235s or F30 335s. I highly recommend this school for any teen driver. FYI, paying parents receive 15% off if they are a BMW CCA member.

Looks like Porsche in ATL has a one-day version for those with a full license--16 to 24.

clyde 08-24-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 575963)
Awesome, that mirrors my experience too even down to the melted headlight housing. I took mine out, trimmed the melted area off and was able to get the bulb receptacle to seat properly. You can get "off road" 65watt low beam/high beam halogens that brighten things up measurably if you don't want to spend the $$ on projectors.

We'll figure out what we're going to do soon. It's working well enough that I don't feel like it needs to be done today.

Theo 08-24-2021 09:29 PM

So much for the M2 content. LOL

There is none right now anyway so these stories are cool in it’s place. =)

clyde 08-25-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 576028)
So much for the M2 content. LOL

There is none right now anyway so these stories are cool in it’s place. =)

Um, uh, whoops? :eeps:

Theo 08-26-2021 10:15 AM

While we are waiting for G87 content here is the G42 buyers guide.

Some interesting options.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...3&d=1629922358

dan 08-26-2021 10:22 AM

240 is xDrive only?

dan 08-26-2021 10:23 AM

Portimao Blue looks hot