carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   M Performance LSD in the M240 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=140409)

wdc330i 10-13-2017 10:50 AM

M Performance LSD in the M240

This is for Josh:

After living with this change for the last 300-plus miles, I have to say the improvement is stunning. The car handles seemingly better in every way. It is a joy to drive now on any kind of road and at any speed. It feels more competent, capable, and powerful. Driving straight feels more planted and composed, and any kind of wheel-turning road is a delight.

BMW should make this a factory-install option on every RWD car it builds.
Having installed this, I can't see letting go of this car for anything but another, better LSD-equipped car. But I'm hard pressed to imagine a car with a better combination of characteristics (except for a manual version of this car and/or an M2 convertible, which BMW doesn't make, of course.)

I'd be interested to hear Rumatt's thoughts about the E46 now-equipped with an LSD...

Jeff_DML 10-13-2017 11:06 AM

yeah it would be nice if BMW offered a LSD upgrade option for a reasonable price like I think they did with the E30s. But 99% of their current clientele do not care and are fine with brake based psuedo lsd so I do not see it happening.

Josh (PA) 10-13-2017 11:07 AM

:( $$$$ As I browse over to BMW accessories website to price it out and get an install quote from my indie.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm not surprised it is a big improvement. I'll need to look at it hard.

Edit: I don't see one for my car in the M-Performance catalog.

wdc330i 10-13-2017 12:07 PM

Ugh. Yeah, I'm not sure I'd foot a huge bill to do it on an older car or one that I didn't expect to keep for the long haul. But maybe Rumatt has some arguments in favor.

Josh (PA) 10-13-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 513950)
Ugh. Yeah, I'm not sure I'd foot a huge bill to do it on an older car or one that I didn't expect to keep for the long haul. But maybe Rumatt has some arguments in favor.

That's the nice thing with the 1er. Nothing has given me a 'bug' to swap it for something different. It's just about to turn 80k miles, but I expect to keep it for at least another 3 yrs and 50k miles so I'd get my moneys worth on a new pumpkin.

Plaz 10-13-2017 01:04 PM

I wonder if that's the same diff as the one in my car. :dunno:

EDIT: Nope, yours is 33108659987, mine is 33122283321

equ 10-13-2017 04:03 PM

I love that finally I have some cars with diffs, the m3 and the boxster. I'd like one on the f10 535i, but I don't think there is one for manual cars. At a reasonable cost..

bren 10-13-2017 05:56 PM

Yes, a real diff is absolutely necessary. It's really dumb that they are so hard to come by. That brake bias crap isn't even close.

John V 10-13-2017 09:32 PM

The importance of an LSD increases as general chassis competence decreases. On FWD stuff as on BMWs, an LSD is absolutely essential. On Porsches, Lotuses, etc it's sort of a "meh" for me and for street use the LSD can cause more problems than it solves, depending on the type.

wdc330i 10-13-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 514000)
The importance of an LSD increases as general chassis competence decreases. On FWD stuff as on BMWs, an LSD is absolutely essential. On Porsches, Lotuses, etc it's sort of a "meh" for me and for street use the LSD can cause more problems than it solves, depending on the type.

Agreed. The Boxster doesn’t feel at all like it needs one. That said, I’ve never driven a Boxster with PTV.