carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2016 Golf R test drive--no dice (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=116666)

JST 12-14-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 466459)
I can kind of see the dealership's perspective. If they get a limited allocation of them, why bother offering test drives? I'd rather have something on the showroom floor with 0-5 miles on it than something that has 100 of the hardest miles a car will ever see. :dunno:

Sure. I understand the dealer's perspective, too. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy the car without driving it. Maybe someone else will.

Jeff_DML 12-14-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

I can kind of see the dealership's perspective. If they get a limited allocation of them, why bother offering test drives? I'd rather have something on the showroom floor with 0-5 miles on it than something that has 100 of the hardest miles a car will ever see. :dunno:

Ideally they should have a demo car. If there is enough demand they could still sell it for good money.

jpgurl 12-14-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 466456)
This happened to me with the original STi. Subaru dealer wouldn't let me near the one they had in the showroom so I walked next door to the bmw dealer and ordered an m3.

Same experience here except substitute these: Mazdaspeed3 wagon, Audi, and A3 Wagon.

John V 12-14-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 466463)
Sure. I understand the dealer's perspective, too. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy the car without driving it. Maybe someone else will.

Yep, I wouldn't either.

Sharp11 12-14-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

That and the endless parade of boy racers who want to come in for a "test drive" but have no real interest (or funds) in buying the car.

The best solution for the current business model is to have "drive days" sponsored by the marque, like BMW used to have, and Mazda and some of the others still do. You sign up for a time slot and drive one or more of the many models available over a prescribed course. No pressure to buy and no salesperson chattering away in the passenger seat.

3LOU5 12-15-2015 01:32 AM

The only car I've bought without a test drive is my current 3.

I figured with so many Top 10Best awards and winning so many comparos , I couldn't go wrong.

And I was right.

lemming 12-15-2015 09:40 AM

I'm happy that this particular VW dealership has pride in their products. The R must be amazingly fast.

I am awestruck.

John V 12-15-2015 03:40 PM

What does the speed of it have to do with anything?

lemming 12-19-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 466570)
What does the speed of it have to do with anything?

#sarcasm

ayn 03-29-2016 02:53 PM

bumping this thread. we just had a baby and need to get a bigger car than the Smart. most dealers in the bay area suck (asking 3-10k markup lol) but I was able to put a deposit down for a base model MT R in the pipeline at MSRP at Sunnyvale VW. Gonna go test drive one this weekend.