carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What to get next? FC edition (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=147664)

dan 04-09-2018 10:54 AM

Neither of my kids (12 and 13 now) have ever complained about back seat space in the 135.

Although I'm short and the passenger seat is usually empty

bren 04-09-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527123)
The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

FC, do either of your kids ride in the front seat yet?

He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car. :lol:

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.

FC 04-09-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 527123)
The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

FC, do either of your kids ride in the front seat yet?

Yes, a used CTS-V is also in consideration. I really hated the interior, though.

The oldest is 10.5, the little one getting close to 9. Technically they cannot go in the front seat. The Miata has a loophole in that it has no back seat. So I've driven them both (individually, of course!) on the passenger seat with the airbag hard-disabled with a key, and the seat all the way back.

Josh (PA) 04-09-2018 11:11 AM

My son, who is a very tall 12 yr old, rides in the back of the 1er just fine. I agree with Bren, kids *can* fit in the back of a coupe for a few miles. I'd check out an M2. I'd also look at the S7 to see if it is any good (I know nothing about it), just another option.

FC 04-09-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527125)
He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car. :lol:

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.

^Don't think for a second I am not starting to regret that - a little. But it was still the right call at the time.

I'll just add that while the Miata/Boxster/whatever has few restrictions, whatever "sedan" or equivalent I get has to have full approval by Mrs. FC. And for reference, she hated being in the Turbo. She felt it was too uncomfortable/low/loud/etc. So there is that. That sedan has to be a family car. It can have a sporty edge, but has to be useful and ergonomic. For example, it has to be tolerable on a drive to Canada if needed.

bren 04-09-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527128)
has to have full approval by Mrs. FC.

Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.

FC 04-09-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527132)
Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.

Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.:dunno:

bren 04-09-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 527143)
Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.:dunno:

That's why you're married to her and not me. :D

rumatt 04-09-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 527148)
That's why you're married and not me. :D

Fixed. :lol:

PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.

bren 04-09-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 527149)
PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.

Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him. :eeps: :p