carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General E46 thread (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=139053)

Josh (PA) 08-31-2017 06:34 PM

General E46 thread

1 Attachment(s)
The other day I wanted to post a tiny e46 victory, but didn't want to start a new thread or hijack someone elses. I figured I would start a thread for any random e46 stuff that didn't deserve it's own. We got the little wagon back from the body shop all fixed up. Before we dropped it off it had a small coolant leak. I was able to diagnose and fix it in my work parking lot as a return temp sensor o-ring. $2.75, 10 minutes of my time and no tools needed later all was fixed. Yea!
Here it is post body shop

Josh (PA) 08-31-2017 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And now for the real reason I started this thread:

BOOM!!!
COMFORT SEATS

These were the ones I got out of an E53 after reading they were drop in replacements.

They are. The install was very easy and they are such an improvement over my old base model vinyl ones.

rumatt 08-31-2017 06:48 PM

I like this thread. :)

3LOU5 08-31-2017 07:02 PM

Status report on my E46:

15 years old with 148,xxx miles.

Still running strong, still enjoy driving her.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

zach 08-31-2017 08:39 PM

Wow, comfort seats are awesome! What a huge upgrade!!!

kognito 09-01-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 511259)
And now for the real reason I started this thread:

BOOM!!!
COMFORT SEATS

These were the ones I got out of an E53 after reading they were drop in replacements.

They are. The install was very easy and they are such an improvement over my old base model vinyl ones.

That is sweet!

Josh (PA) 09-01-2017 12:04 PM

Well all's well that ends well, I guess... but...

I decided to take her out for a drive last night and quickly realized the seat belts didn't fit in the seat receptacles. The SRS light was also on. Long story short, the donor car had been in an airbag accident and when that happens, the seat belt receptacles pre-tension and become unusable. This morning I pulled the seats back out, swapped on the receptacles from the old e46 seats (I had to splice one wire, but it wasn't much of a PITA) and put it back in. I have the BMWHat app and Mycarly OBD programmer so I was able to reset the SRS light and now all truly is well.

The seat belts needing replacement wasn't mentioned on the seat listing. Had I know, I probably would have gone with these:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hQEAA...SK6/s-l500.jpg

e63 M6 seats. They are also a drop in, but this ad disclosed the need for new seatbelts.

kognito 09-01-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 511292)

I decided to take her out for a drive last night and quickly realized the seat belts didn't fit in the seat receptacles. The SRS light was also on. Long story short, the donor car had been in an airbag accident and when that happens, the seat belt receptacles pre-tension and become unusable. This morning I pulled the seats back out, swapped on the receptacles from the old e46 seats (I had to splice one wire, but it wasn't much of a PITA) and put it back in. I have the BMWHat app and Mycarly OBD programmer so I was able to reset the SRS light and now all truly is

Yeah, but, weeks/months from now this PITA won't matter, you will even chuckle about it

Alan 09-01-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 511292)
Well all's well that ends well, I guess... but...

I decided to take her out for a drive last night and quickly realized the seat belts didn't fit in the seat receptacles. The SRS light was also on. Long story short, the donor car had been in an airbag accident and when that happens, the seat belt receptacles pre-tension and become unusable. This morning I pulled the seats back out, swapped on the receptacles from the old e46 seats (I had to splice one wire, but it wasn't much of a PITA) and put it back in. I have the BMWHat app and Mycarly OBD programmer so I was able to reset the SRS light and now all truly is well.

Argh I hate when you think your done with a project and then you find out something is wrong and you have to redo it but it is good to know this doesn't only happen to me :D

wdc330i 09-01-2017 03:52 PM

That's a whole lot of fancy seat for an E46 wagon ;).

When are you going to put in the M steering wheel?