carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Back in the saddle again..... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=6926)

GregE_325 03-18-2006 01:57 AM

Back in the saddle again.....

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd share the news of my latest acquisition. Yesterday, I bought this little baby to replace my POS Mazda3:

2005 325Ci CPO with Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenons, 5 speed manual trans., Harmon Kardon, and cow-skin seats.

It has 7500 miles on it, and I picked it up for a rather good price of $31k. It's in fantastic condition, and as far as I can tell from the checklist left in the owner's manual holder, it belonged to someone with BMWNA (they were listed as the original purchaser).

I've attached a picture that the dealer took. Haven't had the time to wash it up and take pictures myself. But I'm so happy to be back in the BMW family again. It's a neat car.

-- Greg

rumatt 03-18-2006 02:21 AM

Nice.

GregE_325 03-18-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
Nice.

Thanks! I'm still a little numb at writing the check for that car. But the deal was impossible to pass up. It's about $5k less than what the was is worth. And it is equipped exactly like I would want it plus it's my favorite color. Now I just need to get an order in to Zaino soon.......

-- Greg

TD 03-18-2006 10:45 AM

Nice. Congrats!

Although I question how $31K could possibly be "$5K less than it was worth".

Are you telling me a 2 year old 325Ci is worth $36K? You can get a brand new, well-equipped 330i for under $40K. My 330i that's on currently on a ship has metallic paint, sport package, premium package, heated seats and sat radio prep. And it was just $39,990 including destination (MSRP >$42K). That's only $4K more.

I still think it's a great car for $31K. I just can't see anyone paying $36K.

Plaz 03-18-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregE_325
2005 325Ci CPO with Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenons, 5 speed manual trans., Harmon Kardon, and cow-skin seats.

:scratch:

Congrats, though!

rumatt 03-18-2006 11:24 AM

Wasn't the 6-speed in the 330's only?

GregE_325 03-18-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD
Nice. Congrats!

Although I question how $31K could possibly be "$5K less than it was worth".

Are you telling me a 2 year old 325Ci is worth $36K? You can get a brand new, well-equipped 330i for under $40K. My 330i that's on currently on a ship has metallic paint, sport package, premium package, heated seats and sat radio prep. And it was just $39,990 including destination (MSRP >$42K). That's only $4K more.

I still think it's a great car for $31K. I just can't see anyone paying $36K.

Well, the car has been at the dealership the prior week listed at $36k. I've been looking at prices for used coupes (both CPO and plain-jane used), and it's surprising at how well the prices hold up. Heck, even Carmax is listing 3 and 4 year old coupes for mid and upper 20's. I guess a lot of it depends on the car's location and particular trim levels.

This is the first time I've bought a used BMW, but I really wanted a coupe and wasn't liking the spy photographs of the new 3 coupe. So when I found this one at what I thought was a pretty good price, I jumped on it. From the paperwork left in the car, someone at BMWNA took delivery of it in late March of last year. So I guess it's a decent deal for a car that's not quite a year old. I even still have 2 weeks left of BMW Assist! ha!!!!!!

GregE_325 03-18-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaz
:scratch:

Congrats, though!

I just went out to the garage and checked, and there are indeed only 5 forward gears. If my memory is correct (and as I get older that happens less and less), didn't they change to a 6 speed at some point during the model year? I'm honestly not sure about that, though.

And speaking of the transmission, anyone have any opinions on a short shift kit for it? I think the throws are kind of long, and would to tighten it up a bit if I can.

Thanks,

Greg

operknockity 03-18-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregE_325
And speaking of the transmission, anyone have any opinions on a short shift kit for it? I think the throws are kind of long, and would to tighten it up a bit if I can.

I love my B&M SSK with Whalen knob :thumpup: :thumpup: :thumpup: :thumpup:

GregE_325 03-18-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operknockity
I love my B&M SSK with Whalen knob :thumpup: :thumpup: :thumpup: :thumpup:

Thanks for the input! I'll do a little digging and learn more about it.

-- Greg