carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Koni FSD's? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=6485)

Sharp11 01-24-2006 12:50 PM

Koni FSD's?

Anyone try these?

I'm wondering if they could be just the ticket for those of us with sport packages on run-flats.

There's very little anecdotal info out there, save a Roundel review and a couple of mentions here and there.

I'm willing to give 'em a try this spring on the Z4.

Ed

Doug 01-24-2006 12:51 PM

Dunno Koni, I sell KW. What in particular as you try to change with the potential addition of this change?

bren 01-24-2006 12:56 PM

If you are looking for a replacement to the OEM shocks they look/sound perfect. FSD type shocks have been around for a long time, Edelbrock makes them for truck applications and people rave about them.

FC 01-24-2006 01:18 PM

Reading up on the Tirerack, they make it sound as if they are just like S/A shocks but they do the adjusting on their own.

hmmm... I dunno.

OT: If the Koni S/A's are adjusted to their softest setting, how do these compare to the stock shocks? Also the front seem to be easily adjustable from inside the hood. What about the rear ones? Do you have to pull out the wheels? Worse?

Sorry for the hijack.

Doug 01-24-2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando
Reading up on the Tirerack, they make it sound as if they are just like S/A shocks but they do the adjusting on their own.

hmmm... I dunno.

OT: If the Koni S/A's are adjusted to their softest setting, how do these compare to the stock shocks? Also the front seem to be easily adjustable from inside the hood. What about the rear ones? Do you have to pull out the wheels? Worse?

Sorry for the hijack.

Adjustment depends upon the car. Fronts are pretty easy in general rears can be a pain. SAs on max soft are a bit stiffer (less than 25%) compared to a stock shock

bren 01-24-2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernando
What about the rear ones? Do you have to pull out the wheels? Worse?

You have to pull the shock off the car.

clyde 01-24-2006 02:10 PM

"SA" means single adjustable. All that you can adjust on off the shelf SA shock is low speed rebound. It has the largest effect on how the car responds to driver imput and the least effect on how the car responds to road surface irregularities and, thus, ride quality.

If you were to put Koni Yellows on your ZHP, you cna probably expect to notice a substantially firmer ride due to a combination of the high speed compression being a little more aggressive than the OE Boge dampers and the fact that the OE ones are also worn to whatever degree. Then, if you notice significant changes to ride quality due to adjusting the low speed rebound, you probably made the adjustments yourself. ;)

Doug 01-24-2006 02:18 PM

I'd still like to know what issue(s) Sharp11 has with his car and what benefit he's looking to gain from the Konis. This will help us make a more informed response to his question.

FC 01-24-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde
"SA" means single adjustable. All that you can adjust on off the shelf SA shock is low speed rebound. It has the largest effect on how the car responds to driver imput and the least effect on how the car responds to road surface irregularities and, thus, ride quality.

If you were to put Koni Yellows on your ZHP, you cna probably expect to notice a substantially firmer ride due to a combination of the high speed compression being a little more aggressive than the OE Boge dampers and the fact that the OE ones are also worn to whatever degree. Then, if you notice significant changes to ride quality due to adjusting the low speed rebound, you probably made the adjustments yourself. ;)

Thanks clyde. So as far as daily driving comfort, both FSD's and yellows would be a firmer setup. Interesting. Removing the rear shocks to adjust them seems like a royal PITA for my application.

Anyone know a good source for me to read up on performance suspension essentials? Thanks!

Doug 01-24-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren
You have to pull the shock off the car.

or at least unhook one end