carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Keepin' it local (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   An Atom Across America (Again) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=35245)

Terri Kennedy 06-12-2010 09:01 PM

An Atom Across America (Again)

I'll be driving the Atom to Laguna Seca (what the heck, it's just all the way across the country :lol:) for an event from the 8th to the 10th of July and then back later in the month.

Google Map heading out (click on the pic for live map):

http://www.tmk.com/transient/out.jpg

Google Map heading back (likewise):

http://www.tmk.com/transient/back.jpg

If there's anybody along the route that wants to say Hi, this is your chance!

You can find up-to-date PDF schedules here and here. Note that only dates marked with a [*] are guaranteed to have me where I say I'll be - figure on a couple of days of slack either way for weather on the other days.

John V 06-12-2010 09:45 PM

I-70 through Colorado would be a lot more interesting than I-80 through Wyoming.

Terri Kennedy 06-12-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 271789)
I-70 through Colorado would be a lot more interesting than I-80 through Wyoming.

Yes. I did I-70 in Colorado and Utah a couple times, in both the Atom and the BMW. I'm somewhat pressed for time on the way out, but you'll note that one stop is at Wendover, UT :D

kognito 06-12-2010 10:04 PM

Hey Terry,

The my wife and I are working this summer in an amusement park right off 80 east of Des Moines. We are living in the adjacent RV park to Adventureland in Altoona. adventureland

I work late shifts (3 PM till closing) and am off on Tuesdays.

If you are bored of corn fields by then, stop by and look us up.

Doug

ZBB 06-12-2010 11:14 PM

Terry -
Unfortunately I'll be in China for most of late July, so no chance to head up to N AZ as you head through.

If I could make one suggestion though... You might want to consider a stop in Flagstaff instead of Kingman. It's about 90 minutes further, but higher altitude and you'll get out of the heat. Kingman in late July can easily be 105+ but Flagstaff will be below 90... You start to climb up into the mountains about 30 miles or so east of Kingman...

clyde 06-13-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271787)
I'll be driving the Atom to Laguna Seca (what the heck, it's just all the way across the country :lol:) for an event from the 8th to the 10th of July and then back later in the month.

Google Map heading out (click on the pic for live map):
[snip]

Google Map heading back (likewise):

[snip]

If there's anybody along the route that wants to say Hi, this is your chance!

You can find up-to-date PDF schedules here and here. Note that only dates marked with a [*] are guaranteed to have me where I say I'll be - figure on a couple of days of slack either way for weather on the other days.

Whatever happened to the days of getting the car or hopping on the bike and just going?

Schedules, itineraries,...pheh. :ack::mad2: :irate:

"It was better before, before they voted for what's his name,
this is supposed to be the new world,
Flint, Ford, Auto, Mobile, Alabama,
Windshield wiper, Buffalo, New York
Gary, Indiana don't forget the motor city,
Baltimore, D.c. now all we need is,
don't forget the motor city,
this was supposed to be the new world"

Terri Kennedy 06-13-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 271795)
Whatever happened to the days of getting the car or hopping on the bike and just going?

Schedules, itineraries,...pheh. :ack::mad2: :irate:

For a jaw-dropping experience, just show up at the The Ahwahnee Hotel unannounced, and gullibly ask "Do you have any rooms available?". You'll get a jaw-dropping "We have rooms available starting at $2500/night and up." :eek:

clyde 06-13-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271798)
For a jaw-dropping experience, just show up at the The Ahwahnee Hotel unannounced, and gullibly ask "Do you have any rooms available?". You'll get a jaw-dropping "We have rooms available starting at $2500/night and up." :eek:

Better and cheaper experience that actually includes enjoying the park.

Optimus Prime 06-13-2010 11:10 AM

I'm in Peoria. You'll be in the middle of a very boring stretch when you roll through.

I'll check back in closer to July.

Terri Kennedy 06-13-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime (Post 271804)
I'm in Peoria. You'll be in the middle of a very boring stretch when you roll through.

I've actually been to Peoria a few times, mostly boating on the lake and river. There are these crazy fish (IIRC, some invasive species) that apparently get so mad at boaters that they fling themselves out of the water at people.

Optimus Prime 06-13-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271806)
I've actually been to Peoria a few times, mostly boating on the lake and river. There are these crazy fish (IIRC, some invasive species) that apparently get so mad at boaters that they fling themselves out of the water at people.

Asian carp, they're totally mucking up the rivers and starting to get into the great lakes. It's a big deal around here.

although, it's now a fun way to fish with a compound bow. Rile them up and shoot them in the air, then reel them in.
:D

3LOU5 06-15-2010 01:58 AM

I see you're passing by Reno.

Just to let you know, I've never seen an Atom up close. ;)

:D

Terri Kennedy 06-15-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 271950)

This may be your chance :D

Terri Kennedy 06-27-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271787)

I'm leaving in a few minutes, so my postings here will probably drop off quite a bit. Follow me at http://www.atomacrossamerica.org

Terri Kennedy 07-03-2010 02:02 AM

Sabotage?!?!

As far as I (and a Chevy dealer) can tell, someone performed some late-night adjustments on the Atom (which was under a car cover at the time) just outside of Indianapolis a couple days ago.

After a day and a half of troubleshooting, we determined that the powertrain control relay wasn't kicking in. The dealer rigged a bypass to get me going, since I was way behind schedule at that point.

About 150 miles down the road from the dealer, I noticed that my TomTom GPS had shut down due to a low battery condition. That's odd, as it is connected to the car wiring for power.

On investigating, I discovered that the latching power connector for the TomTom dock (which could not have come apart by accident) was unplugged. While looking around under there, I found that one of the 2 smaller wires to the master disconnect switch was unplugged and dangling.

Reconnecting that got my powertrain relay working again, so I removed the bypass the dealer had put in.

I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing. I'd accept that one of these might just be from vibration, but 2 in the same area (one of which is a locking connector) is really suspicious.

I've made up a half a day and am now only one day behind schedule. I'm in Lincoln, NE tonight. This means that I rushed past and didn't get a chance to visit w/ Kognito, unfortunately. But if I'm to make the start of the race, I have to go flat out every day to get to CA in time.

kognito 07-03-2010 10:46 AM

Think it is possible that a complete moron tried to hot wire, and steal it??

Sorry for your delays, I would really like to see your Atom one day.

Drive safe!

Doug

They are hosting the national "Wing-Ding" for Honda Goldwing owners, and GoodGuy's car show/swap meet here in Des Moines this weekend. . . .Bikes and Hot Rods (3500 of them) are all over the place here this week. I seriously need to get a digital camera for the car. Some incredible restored cars cruizing around

Terri Kennedy 07-06-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 271950)

I'm in Lovelock, NV tonight. (For a fun experience, Google for "Lovelock hellhole").

I have to do 400+ miles tomorrow to get to Salinas.

I'm not sure what time I'll be passing through Reno, or what time(s) you're free. If you PM me a phone number, I'll call you in the morning.

3LOU5 07-06-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 274541)
I'm in Lovelock, NV tonight. (For a fun experience, Google for "Lovelock hellhole").

I'm not sure what time I'll be passing through Reno, or what time(s) you're free. If you PM me a phone number, I'll call you in the morning.

Oh man, you're only 90 miles or so from Reno.

I'm usually free in the mornings, and work 1530 till 0200 (four 10-hour shifts....gotta love them !).

I'll PM my number, maybe we can meet somewhere off I-80. (If you have time, I live 10 miles north of the interstate in Sparks).

Terri Kennedy 07-06-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 274544)

Yup. And if I could have, I would have continued on to at least Fernley. But after 500+ miles in the Atom I needed to stop for the day. So I wound up here. I need to wind up in Salinas by tonight, so I can meet the installer that has my tires (a new set of AO48's from Tire Rack) and get them on the Atom before the track day.

lip277 07-06-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 274541)

Haha - That is the town I grew up in. :)

And near where I'll be towards the end of the month.
Nuts.... Timing sucks....

Terri Kennedy 07-07-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 274544)

I'm usually free in the mornings, and work 1530 till 0200 (four 10-hour shifts....gotta love them !).

I'm sorry the meeting didn't work out - with your starting time of 3:30 PM I figured that noon would have been Ok. I apologize for the mis-communication.

3LOU5 07-07-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 274684)
I'm sorry the meeting didn't work out - with your starting time of 3:30 PM I figured that noon would have been Ok. I apologize for the mis-communication.

No worries, Terry.

Hopefully, next time you're in the area, I can get to meet you and the car.

:)

Terri Kennedy 07-09-2010 11:10 AM

Here's a little teaser for you all:

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/atoms-ggb.jpg

Terri Kennedy 07-12-2010 12:08 PM

Last night I was in Half Moon Bay.

Today I'm heading into the woods (2 days in Yosemite, 2 in Sequoia, and 2 in Death Valley) so I may not have access to post updates for nearly a week.

kognito 07-12-2010 01:01 PM

Just FYI Terry,

Almost every Safeway store out there has a Starbucks inside (internet!)

Terri Kennedy 07-12-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 275072)
Just FYI Terry,

Almost every Safeway store out there has a Starbucks inside (internet!)

I don't know about the first 2 parks, but I know DV has almost no cell phone coverage (so my cellular modem won't work) and the Internet is via satellite and pretty slow.

ZBB 07-12-2010 01:19 PM

Safeway stores themselves have free wifi...

Starbucks also has free wifi now...

Terri Kennedy 07-14-2010 12:43 AM

Here are a couple pictures from Yosemite:

Half Dome and falls viewed from Glacier Point:
http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/6F5S7723-s.jpg

Upper Yosemite Falls:
http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/6F5S7707-s.jpg

They have the most inept road construction crews ever - they have actually removed the paved Highway 41 / Wawona Road and replaced it with a rutted dirt trail for around 10 miles, with other bad patches as well.

ZBB 07-14-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 275303)

They have the most inept road construction crews ever - they have actually removed the paved Highway 41 / Wawona Road and replaced it with a rutted dirt trail for around 10 miles, with other bad patches as well.

I noticed something similar just south of Yellowstone when we were there last summer. Tear up the entire road, make it horrible and bumpy dirt road for 10+ miles while they rebuild it -- and traffic was only one-way in a couple sections (so flag crews...).

Terri Kennedy 07-15-2010 09:55 PM

As you probably all know, I'm our own "Captain Slow". I mostly go to the Atom events to socialize. Some of the other guys take it a lot more seriously...

At Laguna Seca, one of the other Atom owners did a 1:33.something (we're waiting for the certified transponder figures). According to this article, the former production car record lap was held by a 2010 Viper ACR. Until Darin's Atom came along. :D

According to info I have, the record bike times are:

Superbike - Tommy Hayden 1:26.100
MotoGP - Dani Pedrosa 1:23.158

Terri Kennedy 07-19-2010 08:39 PM

By the way, Roy's in Amboy is open again, selling gas, souvenirs, and so forth:

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/6F5S7894-s.jpg

Ran across a classic MG on the side of the road, chatted with the owner for a bit:

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/route66-2-s.jpg

You'll note that it is being displayed in its natural habitat - on the side of the road with the hood up. :D

Read more on my blog here.

Terri Kennedy 07-20-2010 10:56 PM

Today was one of those days:

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/winona-1-s.jpg

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/winona-2-s.jpg

More on the blog, as usual.

Texas folks (particularly DFW) - I'll be coming through somewhat north of you (Wichita Falls) sometime over the next few days. PM or reply here if you want to discuss a get-together.

operknockity 07-20-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 275884)
By the way, Roy's in Amboy is open again, selling gas, souvenirs, and so forth:

http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/6F5S7894-s.jpg

Cool! Too bad Buster Burris is long gone. :sad:

One of these days i'll make it back out there. Prolly not going to go fossil digging again (too strenuous for this old body), but will have to find the general store and the flying saucer repair station in Chambliss again.

Terri Kennedy 07-20-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operknockity (Post 276000)
One of these days i'll make it back out there. Prolly not going to go fossil digging again (too strenuous for this old body), but will have to find the general store and the flying saucer repair station in Chambliss again.

Yup - the Department of the Interior paved the access road to the crater, but they're not fooling me - I did the climb on the way back from Bimmerfest 2004 and the trail markings were not so good, and I got off the trail, seriously lost, and could have died. Let me know if you find the UFO service station - I've never been able to.

operknockity 07-21-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 276001)
Yup - the Department of the Interior paved the access road to the crater, but they're not fooling me

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot SPOT
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 276001)
Let me know if you find the UFO service station - I've never been able to.

The last time we were out there was the mid-80's. After this many years it might not be there anymore, but I'll let y'all know if I find it again.

SCA 08-05-2010 11:55 AM

I just saw this thread today. Anyways... I saw you came through Knoxville, I wish I had known. I guess you skipped The Dragon this trip?

Terri Kennedy 08-05-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCA (Post 277484)
I just saw this thread today. I am clueless where you are in your trip back , maybe you are already home? :dunno:

Yup, got back home on Friday the 30th.

Quote:

Anyways... I see you will be coming through Knoxville. Are you planning to hit The Dragon?
I was in Knoxville on the 26th (visit http://www.atomacrossamerica.org for trip details). I had planned on hitting the Dragon again (4th time) but went and visited the current Atom manufacturer, TMI, at VIR instead.

Terri Kennedy 08-25-2010 04:32 PM

My videos of the Atom Coastal Cruise (Golden Gate Bridge and tunnel segment) are now up on YouTube:

Terri Kennedy 07-23-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 275575)
At Laguna Seca, one of the other Atom owners did a 1:33.something (we're waiting for the certified transponder figures). According to this article, the former production car record lap was held by a 2010 Viper ACR. Until Darin's Atom came along. :D

The same guy who did that got an invite to run one of the Spec Race Atoms at VIR (full course). He'd never driven VIR before, and was in a borrowed Atom, with a very different configuration (Honda / 6-speed) from his Atom (Ecotec, 5-speed). He did a 2:07:00 :eek:

Spec Race Atom, VIR, 7-16-11

How the heck do you embed a Vimeo video here, anyway? :dunno:

Terri Kennedy 09-10-2011 08:01 PM

It's happening again (again)!

Announcement and details on my Atom Across America blog.