carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   would you (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=72307)

Josh (PA) 08-15-2013 06:24 PM

would you

buy a newer (2009-2011) BMW with (tan) leatherette if it was otherwise a good fit options wise?

Have any concerns about a military purchase car that was originally delivered overseas and subsequently shipped here when the service person was stationed back in the states? Do these cars have normal U.S. titles, or are they considered more grey market?

Curious what everyone's thoughts are. I wanted something with Natural Brown interior as my first choice, beige as my second. I don't know if leatherette should be a deal breaker, or if I should embrace it as 3 kids will make less mess on ette than cowhide.

JST 08-15-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 388662)
buy a newer (2009-2011) BMW with (tan) leatherette if it was otherwise a good fit options wise?

Have any concerns about a military purchase car that was originally delivered overseas and subsequently shipped here when the service person was stationed back in the states? Do these cars have normal U.S. titles, or are they considered more grey market?

Curious what everyone's thoughts are. I wanted something with Natural Brown interior as my first choice, beige as my second. I don't know if leatherette should be a deal breaker, or if I should embrace it as 3 kids will make less mess on ette than cowhide.

I had tan leatherette in my old 323Ci. It was fine; in some ways it was better than black leatherette because it wasn't as hot, though it also was more obviously fake than the black stuff was. It wears like vinyl, which is to say, not at all.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Pretty sure (90+ percent) that military-purchased vehicles are US spec, not gray market.

ZBB 08-15-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 388663)
Pretty sure (90+ percent) that military-purchased vehicles are US spec, not gray market.

Confirmed here -- read the text towards the bottom:

http://www.bmw-military-sales.com/mi.../overview.html

SARAFIL 08-15-2013 07:55 PM

I wouldn't buy a car with leatherette, but it's really just a matter of preference.

If it was a US spec car purchased through the program, it will have a regular title.

Nick M3 08-15-2013 07:58 PM

Big question would be warranty. It looks like there are conditions on getting the full benefit of that.

Josh (PA) 08-15-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 388675)
Big question would be warranty. It looks like there are conditions on getting the full benefit of that.

Great point, thanks. I'll call my local dealer in the AM, have them run the VIN and tell me if there would be any issues.

Josh (PA) 08-15-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 388673)
I wouldn't buy a car with leatherette, but it's really just a matter of preference.

If it was a US spec car purchased through the program, it will have a regular title.

It looks to be a U.S. spec car, I just ran an Autocheck and it shows no title issues.

Do you still have access to dealer records?

VIN #:WBAPM5C52BE435564

SARAFIL 08-15-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 388677)
It looks to be a U.S. spec car, I just ran an Autocheck and it shows no title issues.

Do you still have access to dealer records?

VIN #:WBAPM5C52BE435564

unfortunately I don't.

I know that they do carry the normal warranty once they are stateside, but can't remember if they get the full maintenance.

Rob 08-16-2013 04:30 PM

We had leatherette in the last MINI. I don't know if BMW uses a different version, but I will never get it again by choice. It's possible I would accept it on an otherwise perfect used car, but doubtful. It was horrible for causing sweat build up.

Josh (PA) 08-16-2013 10:24 PM

Decided to not settle. Going to keep looking for an '11 335i M-sport with manual. Exterior can be about anything but TiAg or red. Interior needs to be saddle/natural brown, oyster or beige. Nav, cwp, hK. The one I was looking at had the ette and base stereo (ealry '11 model with real bad base stero). I'm not in a rush, so something good will show up. If anyone sees something that fits, please pass it on.