carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How much are you driving nowadays? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159490)

FC 07-06-2020 09:11 AM

How much are you driving nowadays?

I've driven to work exactly twice since Friday, March 13th (25 miles round trip). Besides ~300 miles worth of driving to and around Martha's Vineyard, and recently to my sister's house (~100 miles round trip), our driving for the past 3.5 months consists of pretty short errands to get food/supplies. I'd be surprised if the combined household miles, including the trips above, amount to 1,000 miles since mid-March. The LR4 has seen ~2/3 of those miles.

I think I have taken the M3 only handful of times in that entire time. My son resumes club soccer practice tonight (twice a week for a month - half are 5 miles away, half are 15 miles away). That will give me a chance to drive a bit. No word on when either of us goes back in the office.

My wife plans on using this experience to justify only going back to the office 2 or maybe 3 times per week even when/if all goes back to normal COVID-wise. We don't have to do anything yet (indefinitely, really), but it could impact future car decisions.

How is this affecting your driving mileage/habits/decisions?

Nick M3 07-06-2020 09:25 AM

Our total mileage is probably up because K's weekly trips to deliver food to her parents and make sure that they aren't in trouble make up for my lack of commuting.

JST 07-06-2020 09:26 AM

I bike a lot more miles than I drive these days.

EDIT: I can do most of my work from home, but I actually dislike working from home a fair bit--I find it's a lot harder to collaborate. But I have literally no idea when I'll go back.

My wife has to work at the office and is back on a 50 percent schedule.

I have no idea when the kids will go back to school.

I haven't driven the Porsche in weeks. I should sell it, I guess.

I hate this shit so fucking much.

FC 07-06-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 561068)
I hate this shit so fucking much.

:+1 Tough to do engineering from home.

I have also been biking and running a bit more than usual (two 5k's and a ~20-mile bike ride per week). On a typical week biking+running>driving.

equ 07-06-2020 09:59 AM

Very little. I was already not doing many miles. In sixteen months, I didn't quite get to 6,000 miles on the 340i. That was with no ski trips at all this year, but one Quebec/Vermont trip right after purchase. I probably do about 2k miles on the boxster. C's driving reduced from 18-20k/year to 12k pace on the Alltrack with COVID, will likely pick back up.

I motorcycle and bicycle whenever possible.

wdc330i 07-06-2020 10:18 AM

I work from home even in non-COIVD times, so my mileage revolved around running son to and from school and friends' houses (no school these days; some friend schlepping to the pod he's allowed to socialize with); and the occasional airport run for business/pleasure trips (also not happening these days).

Otherwise, just errands (grocery shopping, mostly) and fetching my son/dogs for my custody time (although ex mostly does the schelp, since she has the SUV).

My Hilton Head trip consumed some miles. I'm now at around 14k miles in about 3.5 years. Car should last forever at this rate. It also makes it even less sensible to buy/insure a second one...

Alan 07-06-2020 10:26 AM

I've been going into my office this entire time so mileage hasn't changed for me and I would say my wife's mileage has cut down in the beginning because she wasn't going to the store but now is only slightly down (she's a stay at home Mom). If anything she works harder than ever now since we are all home much more which means more cleaning, making food, etc.

clyde 07-06-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 561068)
I bike a lot more miles than I drive these days.

I last put gas in the Camaro on Febraury 26 and have driven it 335 miles since, about 235 of them by March 14. I've driven it five(?) times since then for about 100 miles, 70 of which was the round trip to my buddy's to get the Mustang title.

I've walked about 275 miles since mid-May (when I started tracking).

I've put a few hundred miles on the kids' Accord taking the 16yo out to different locations for learner's permit driving practice, 30ish miles to JV's and back once, etc. And I've probably put 50 miles on my wife's RAV4. Her driving is down probably about 70%.

I resist driving the Camaro now because I don't want anything to happen to it before I sell it. The idea of buying a new/nearly-new car to replace it and watching it sit unused as days under warranty tick down is an added factor in my current car saga.

equ 07-06-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 561087)
I resist driving the Camaro now because I don't want anything to happen to it before I sell it. The idea of buying a new/nearly-new car to replace it and watching it sit unused as days under warranty tick down is an added factor in my current car saga.

By that logic, just sell the Camaro already. Overthinking much?

clyde 07-06-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 561090)
By that logic, just sell the Camaro already. Overthinking much?

Answered in the other thread.