carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need some UHP all-season tire recommendations please (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=143933)

3LOU5 01-11-2018 11:51 PM

Need some UHP all-season tire recommendations please

I'm about 1/16" above the wear bars on my current all-season Yokohamas.

I'm researching some tires, and have narrowed it down to these:

(1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

(2) Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus

(3) BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

(4) Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

(5) Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Don't do any autocrosses or racing of any kind.

Thanks in advance.

Josh (PA) 01-12-2018 06:33 AM

I run conti dws on my e46 and X5 and love them. Quiet, great in weather, perform well and wear well. I don't think you can beat them for the cost.

John V 01-12-2018 06:38 AM

Tire rack test: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=222

Another one (with DWS, Pilot sport A/S 3+, P Zero All Season Plus, Potenza RE980S): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

Spoiler alert, seems like the Pilot A/S 3+ wins.

JST 01-12-2018 07:38 AM

Yeah that’s what I found when I looked a while ago.

Had P Zero all seasons on the first Golf. They were fine but got super loud as they wore.

The Pilots that I replaced them with seemed better in every way.

wdc330i 01-12-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 520604)
Spoiler alert, seems like the Pilot A/S 3+ wins.

I have these on my 2 and am perfectly happy with them. Haven’t driven them in snow, though. But they seem like a great all-around tire that doesn’t give up much in summer.

rumatt 01-12-2018 08:59 AM

I wish there were more cross-category tests. I'd like to see a comparison of the snow and dry performance of some manufacturer's: snow, HP snow, AS, and HPAS tires.

Nick M3 01-12-2018 09:05 AM

The DWS is the choice if you want snow performance from an A/S tire. It gives up a lot in the dry vs. the Pilot to get that, though.

clyde 01-12-2018 10:32 AM

I put the DWS 06 on the Jaguar before driving it back from San Diego. For just regular driving, they're fine.

lip277 01-12-2018 01:27 PM

I have had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, A/S 2, A/S 3 and now A/S 3+ on various E38's for upwards of 250,000 miles or so.

For what I have wanted - they have worked excellently. I have driven the cars in upwards of 3 to 5 inches of snow - and the car did 'ok' (it did better than I expected - considering the car is not a snow vehicle at all).

I drive in LOTS of rain. Both the slow drizzle (just to get things wet rain) as well in the 'get the Ark ready' heavy downpour - a great number of miles in all kinds of wet...

The tires have always given me confidence in getting around and allowing me to drive how I wanted, without undue influence from the rain in slowing me down too much (so to speak).

Ice - a bit of that, but not too much. I really don't like driving in ice, so not too much on the tires that way (Yukon/F250 get way more use that way). But- these tires have always treated me well here too - I just have to drive for conditions.

Good luck
I know there are other good tires out there as well, I have just always been treated fairly by these PS A/S tires, so - I really don't look around too much.

rumatt 01-12-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 520637)
I have had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, A/S 2, A/S 3 and now A/S 3+ on various E38's for upwards of 250,000 miles or so.

Wow, impressive.

The second comparison JV linked mentioned the only con of being a bit harsh over bumps. Did you ever feel they were too firm?

3LOU5 01-12-2018 02:25 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I keep a record of all the tires I've used on my E46. In order:

(1) OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (40,840 miles)

(2) Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S (50,955 mostly highway miles)

(3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (28,538 miles)

(4) Yokohama YK580 (currently with 30,806 miles)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Michelin A/S 3+. However, I've never ran BFG all-seasons on my cars before, and am curious how they'll perform. They seem to rate high on Tire Rack's rankings.

(BTW, the BFG All-Terrains on my truck has impressed me so....)

lip277 01-12-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 520640)
Wow, impressive.

The second comparison JV linked mentioned the only con of being a bit harsh over bumps. Did you ever feel they were too firm?

Not unduly so, but the ride is firm - these are low profile tires, so I think that pretty much any tire would ride pretty firm.

Nick M3 01-12-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 520640)
Wow, impressive.

Harsh is relative. The A/S3+ has a relatively summery sidewall. It's not as stiff as, say, a PSS, but it is a LOT stiffer than, say, the DWS.

equ 01-12-2018 06:31 PM

The DWS and its predecessors (as well as its cousin, the DW) all have soft sidewalls.

Cost always matters, but disregarding for a sec, the best two tires in Lou's list are the Michelin's and the B-stones (they will be monsters in the wet), we ran them on Cara's Si for (the 960AS). Currently have the 97AS in the 2015 GTI and those are good too...

BFG's make good truck tires. I'm not sure about their sporty offerings. The tread pattern always looks loud on them, but don't have much experience.

I used to like P-zero nero a/s way back when (about 2006 or 2007). Smooth when new. I'm so unhappy with the lack of grip and quick breakaway of the summer P-zero's on my boxster that Pirelli may never see a dollar from me again (at least for cars). Sure apples & oranges. But.. Similarly aged MPSS on my m3 have grip, while the P-zero N0 porsche tires are shite.