carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The BaT thread for the cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=120511)

clyde 02-15-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 545374)

Gavelled at $200k!! :yoink:

Two hundred thousand American dollareros!!! :wtf:

JST 02-22-2019 05:00 PM

TD, here's your chance--8K mile 2004 R32.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-21/

robg 02-22-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 545442)

Wow. Kinda sad that it will never be driven though-- at this point it will just get passed amongst collectors for speculative purposes. Still cool to see the pics of a factory fresh car from the 80s though. I remember that Delco stereo from my friends 87 Beretta

JST 02-22-2019 08:39 PM

Bets on what this very nicely optioned, extremely well-preserved 325is goes for? 25? 30?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-325is-27/

EDIT: OK, 30 is too high. But I bet 20-25.

equ 02-22-2019 09:09 PM

What used to be a $8-9k car all day long...

JST 02-22-2019 09:52 PM

Until Nick bought all of them and cornered the market.

wdc330i 02-22-2019 10:07 PM

That is very sweet. But it has nothing on the stick version of my car.

lip277 02-22-2019 11:05 PM

I should go up to Vancouver to see this car....

It's Fjord.... mine's Baikal...
It's an auto... mine's a manual
It's a 1973.... mine's a 1970....
But it is nice. But not TOO nice.
This is the car that I (kind of had) before I had to go into the engine - Going into the engine and some of the other mechanical work that started the slippery slope I am on... lol - oh well. Will be interesting to see what it brings. BAT tax and all.

This one is in generally better shape than mine was. Some details are lacking - but the bones are really there for a wonderful car should there be the desire to take it to the next level (and for a whole lot less effort than mine is getting - lol)

I might have to let a friend of mine know about this. A BMW friend who lives in Vancouver. He as an M1. Yes, a REAL M1. :) I don't have the time right now to do a road trip - but it would be interesting to get his thoughts on the car- but that is pushing it too with my friends usually busy schedule....

https://cdn.bringatrailer.com/wp-con...03-620x465.jpg

kognito 02-23-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lip277 (Post 545877)

This is the car that I (kind of had) before I had to go into the engine - Going into the engine and some of the other mechanical work that started the slippery slope I am on... lol - oh well. Will be interesting to see what it brings. BAT tax and all.

This one is in generally better shape than mine was. Some details are lacking - but the bones are really there for a wonderful car should there be the desire to take it to the next level (and for a whole lot less effort than mine is getting - lol)

I might have to let a friend of mine know about this. A BMW friend who lives in Vancouver. He as an M1. Yes, a REAL M1. :) I don't have the time right now to do a road trip - but it would be interesting to get his thoughts on the car- but that is pushing it too with my friends usually busy schedule....

Yeah, you just want to check out the rest of his garage ;)

SARAFIL 02-23-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

That’s beautiful! And not to go off track, but whats the latest on your car - is there a thread on your project? I haven’t been around as frequently and curious how it’s progressing.

Theo 02-25-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 545852)
TD, here's your chance--8K mile 2004 R32.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...swagen-r32-21/

Holy CRACK PIPE. $31k already.

kognito 02-25-2019 05:00 PM

My neighbor, who works for BMW pointed this one out to me yesterday. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...m-roadster-32/

I'm guessing reserve will not be met, it is listed for almost 25K on the sellers website. He also chucked at data in the listing, as he says they built over 50 Dakar M roadsters. (maybe the seller is referring to the included hardtop?)

Oh, and he brought an X7 home for the weekend. He wouldn't let me take any pictures. I told him they have already had media events, but he wouldn't budge. Wouldn't let me drive it either.

I saw one of the media events on CNBC about 2 weeks ago, and thought to myself it is uglier in person than it was on my TV.

He took me for about a one mile drive, which was just about meaningless since I couldn't drive it

JST 02-25-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 545980)
My neighbor, who works for BMW pointed this one out to me yesterday. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...m-roadster-32/

I'm guessing reserve will not be met, it is listed for almost 25K on the sellers website. He also chucked at data in the listing, as he says they built over 50 Dakar M roadsters. (maybe the seller is referring to the included hardtop?)

Oh, and he brought an X7 home for the weekend. He wouldn't let me take any pictures. I told him they have already had media events, but he wouldn't budge. Wouldn't let me drive it either.

I saw one of the media events on CNBC about 2 weeks ago, and thought to myself it is uglier in person than it was on my TV.

He took me for about a one mile drive, which was just about meaningless since I couldn't drive it

That's kind of silly. They had them at CES in January and if they weren't letting people drive them they were definitely giving people rides on an "off road" course.

kognito 02-25-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 545981)
That's kind of silly. They had them at CES in January and if they weren't letting people drive them they were definitely giving people rides on an "off road" course.

very silly. left me wondering if he really had permission to take it home for the weekend or not.

clyde 02-26-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

And now a 26 mile regular Grand National T-Type with three days to go is at $79,999 12 bids in.

Wow.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-national-17/

blee 02-28-2019 10:34 PM

(Hi everyone!) Hey, you know how we always talk about M5 Tourings and how we'd buy one yesterday?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ng-conversion/

If you want one, you want this one.

JST 02-28-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 546191)
(Hi everyone!) Hey, you know how we always talk about M5 Tourings and how we'd buy one yesterday?

Already 11K. Someone came out of the box hungry.

These conversions are weird to value. That M7 went for less than I expected (though still strong money). I think a couple of other "M5 Tourings" went in the 20s, though that was some time ago and their presentation wasn't what this one is. The nutso LSX 540 wagon went for low 30s, IIRC.

"Normal" M5s are clustered in the 20-25 range unless they are very low mile, which this one isn't. Nor is it really an M5. So how much is the unicorn bodystyle worth?

The rational side of me says it's "worth" about 30, but it all depends on whether there are two people who want one. Because really, there's only one.

kognito 03-01-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Sold @ 72.5K

I hope you are documenting your restore

Josh (PA) 03-01-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 546191)

OH MY GOODNESS. That might be the most perfect car I've ever seen.

Anyone have any idea what it might go for?

nate 03-01-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Yes, yikes.

And it didn't beat the S&P500 :kekeke:

equ 03-01-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 546216)
OH MY GOODNESS. That might be the most perfect car I've ever seen.

Anyone have any idea what it might go for?

Really? To me it's still an e39 540iT, just a heavily modified one. I don't value non-factory engine/transmission swaps. Market values them though and that's fine for the buyers and the sellers. One cannot call it an M5 Touring, truth in advertising and all...

wdc330i 03-01-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 546225)
Really? To me it's still an e39 540iT, just a heavily modified one. I don't value non-factory engine/transmission swaps. Market values them though and that's fine for the buyers and the sellers. One cannot call it an M5 Touring, truth in advertising and all...

Right. And you really have to trust that Dr. Frankenstein did a good job of all the interventions.

Josh (PA) 03-01-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 546225)

To me it marries the two favorite cars my wife and I have ever had. She adored our e39 540iT and we felt pretty special in the e39m5 and longingly reminisce about whether we should have sold it. This car (based on the pics at least) with all the M5 bits and gc suspension fixes the few flaws on the 540 performance and the nbt infotainment makes the interior up to date. I showed my wife and there is interest in the nostalgia.

Any idea what it would sell for?

lip277 03-01-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 546208)
Sold @ 72.5K

I hope you are documenting your restore

Yep - there is a book the fella is keeping on the work he is doing.

:)
Looking forward to getting it back.

equ 03-01-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 546235)
To me it marries the two favorite cars my wife and I have ever had. She adored our e39 540iT and we felt pretty special in the e39m5 and longingly reminisce about whether we should have sold it. This car (based on the pics at least) with all the M5 bits and gc suspension fixes the few flaws on the 540 performance and the nbt infotainment makes the interior up to date. I showed my wife and there is interest in the nostalgia.

Any idea what it would sell for?

For your sake, I hope only you feel that way and get to snag it!

rumatt 03-01-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 546235)

Bid bid bid!!!!

clyde 03-01-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 546219)
Yes, yikes.

And it didn't beat the S&P500 :kekeke:

Well, with that attitude....

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 546032)
And now a 26 mile regular Grand National T-Type with three days to go is at $79,999 12 bids in.

Wow.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-national-17/

The plebeian Grand National T-Type only went for $105k

Josh (PA) 03-01-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 546247)
Bid bid bid!!!!

We're going to keep an eye on it. I doubt it will stay under $30k, which would be the max threshold we'd consider for a 4th car we have no need for and weren't planning to buy before a couple hours ago.

On the sad side, somehow as I was showing my wife all the beautiful pictures our conversation turned to how she'd rather find another clean e36 m3c and how we should have bought the red one (cool) :celebrat:
to you know if we have four cars the girls will want to use them all summer which means we'd have to put a ton of miles on this (the m5T)... :rolleyes:

to we should just buy them each a car.:irate:

clyde 03-01-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 546267)
We're going to keep an eye on it. I doubt it will stay under $30k, which would be the max threshold we'd consider for a 4th car we have no need for and weren't planning to buy before a couple hours ago.

On the sad side, somehow as I was showing my wife all the beautiful pictures our conversation turned to how she'd rather find another clean e36 m3c and how we should have bought the red one (cool) :celebrat:
to you know if we have four cars the girls will want to use them all summer which means we'd have to put a ton of miles on this (the m5T)... :rolleyes:

to we should just buy them each a car.:irate:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

wdc330i 03-01-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 546269)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah, marriage.

I for one would not go backwards from a 135ic to an e36 M3C...

JST 03-01-2019 08:51 PM

Josh, see my analysis upthread. BaT provides a graph of where specific car models have sold over the years; the M5s that have gone in the 30s have had many fewer miles than this car. And this one isn’t really an M5.

But it’s a unicorn, so who knows? It was at 18k this afternoon, so it’s clearly attracted some people willing to jump in early.

Josh (PA) 03-02-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 546271)
Josh, see my analysis upthread. BaT provides a graph of where specific car models have sold over the years; the M5s that have gone in the 30s have had many fewer miles than this car. And this one isn’t really an M5.

But it’s a unicorn, so who knows? It was at 18k this afternoon, so it’s clearly attracted some people willing to jump in early.

Thanks for the info. It's at $28k this morning, and gets less interesting with each bid. There's not really a good comp for this. The last 540iT Msport went for $23,250 on there, but this is a whole different unicorn. Commenters, FWIW, expect it to zoom by $30k.
I guess thats why this thread is titled "cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would."

For a fleeting moment I thought I was going to be the first of us to actually win a BAT auction.

Josh (PA) 03-02-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 546270)
Ah, marriage.

I for one would not go backwards from a 135ic to an e36 M3C...

I wouldn't either. The idea would be keep the 135 for me until it starts becoming a problem and she'd drive the e36 as her fun car. The silver one we had was her first 'nice' car and she really loved it. When we talked about the wagon, her thought was if she couldn't daily it, then she'd rather just have something purely fun.

JST 03-02-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 546273)
Thanks for the info. It's at $28k this morning, and gets less interesting with each bid. There's not really a good comp for this. The last 540iT Msport went for $23,250 on there, but this is a whole different unicorn. Commenters, FWIW, expect it to zoom by $30k.
I guess thats why this thread is titled "cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would."

For a fleeting moment I thought I was going to be the first of us to actually win a BAT auction.

Yeah, it looks headed for $40K. It's a little bit of head scratcher at that price. I mean, it's a unicorn and so on, but it's also got 100K+ miles on it and you're probably not going to daily it, so what's the advantage of the extra utility?

A nicer actual M5 is almost certainly a better choice.

robg 03-02-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 546276)
Yeah, it looks headed for $40K. It's a little bit of head scratcher at that price. I mean, it's a unicorn and so on, but it's also got 100K+ miles on it and you're probably not going to daily it, so what's the advantage of the extra utility?

Right. Any idea how much it would cost to build something like that?

JST 03-02-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 546278)
Right. Any idea how much it would cost to build something like that?

The big cost would be labor, if you weren't doing it yourself. I doubt you could recreate it for 40K, even if you were doing it yourself, but then again, it's pretty rare for you to be able to recover the cost of construction of cars like this.

robg 03-02-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 546279)
The big cost would be labor, if you weren't doing it yourself. I doubt you could recreate it for 40K, even if you were doing it yourself, but then again, it's pretty rare for you to be able to recover the cost of construction of cars like this.

For sure. It does seem like sticking with OEM parts for swaps like this helps preserve more value. Of this had an LS in it I bet it would struggle to get 20

JST 03-02-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 546280)
For sure. It does seem like sticking with OEM parts for swaps like this helps preserve more value. Of this had an LS in it I bet it would struggle to get 20

Depends on the LS...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-528it/

blee 03-02-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 546276)

It’s funny how often you hear people say, “I wish BMW made an M* Touring,” then balk at the price when someone offers a conversion for sale.

Until the owner got a used x5, it was his daily outside of his day job (for which he has a 323iT that got an m3 drivetrain transplant). The way I see it, the value of this car comes from the fact that the conversion work is already done. I doubt the car will sell for more than the combined parts and labor that went into it, but only because it wasn’t cheap.

Josh (PA) 03-02-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 546283)
It’s funny how often you hear people say, “I wish BMW made an M* Touring,” then balk at the price when someone offers a conversion for sale.

Until the owner got a used x5, it was his daily outside of his day job (for which he has a 323iT that got an m3 drivetrain transplant). The way I see it, the value of this car comes from the fact that the conversion work is already done. I doubt the car will sell for more than the combined parts and labor that went into it, but only because it wasn’t cheap.

I wish BMW made an m touring so there were enough of them that depreciation was a thing and I could find one used at a price I can justify/afford.

In my mind, the BAT car is worth the money it will sell for, but I can't afford to pay that kind of money for a car that I can't consume (ie: not worry about driving it a-lot) without replacement.

Do you know the builder? I think I recall you posting some time ago about this car and his e46 m3 wagon build.