carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tesla Model S waffling (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=63041)

ZBB 08-19-2018 04:34 PM

Took a couple pics of the S today to remember it.

For a 5+ year old car with 92,350 miles, its still looking great.

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/S/AY...VBzQeaZ-VbUrpI

rumatt 08-19-2018 04:41 PM

Not bad at all.

lip277 08-19-2018 06:20 PM

Yeah - It still looks great. Good luck with the next one....

clyde 08-19-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 535554)
Took a couple pics of the S today to remember it.

For a 5+ year old car with 92,350 miles, its still looking great.

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/S/AY...VBzQeaZ-VbUrpI

I see a URL (for an iCloud thing?) in an IMG tag, but not seeing any images in thread. Get an "unauthorized" message if I try to the URL in a new tab.

ZBB 08-19-2018 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 535565)
I see a URL (for an iCloud thing?) in an IMG tag, but not seeing any images in thread. Get an "unauthorized" message if I try to the URL in a new tab.

It worked for a bit, but not working now for some reason... why can’t Apple just provide a simple static url?

Anyway - here’s the pic as an attachment.

ZBB 09-15-2018 07:44 AM

The Tesla is sold… Long live the Tesla!

I sold the Model S to CarMax last night. Couple last thoughts:

- This was the best car I've ever had. It was super flexible (great for hauling things), fantastic on road trips, good to drive, and it never stranded me. I had relatively few problems with it -- especially after the first year. I still can't believe how great it was as the first ground-up design from a startup company. Overall problems were pretty minimal.

- Driving it for the last couple times yesterday, it felt huge and heavy compared to the Model 3. It is a huge and heavy car -- probably its only faults. After driving the 3 with the low cowl, the S dash also felt very tall and almost claustrophobic (ironic since the S was such an open design when it came out -- and I hated sitting in other cars afterword).

- Odometer was at 93,360, and I owned it for just over 5 years and 3 months. That's more than 50k miles higher and 18 months longer than any previous car. The next longest was the E46, which had about 42k miles over ~3.75 years.

- The CarMax offer was very reasonable. I ran one last Edmunds pricing report on it -- and CarMax's offer was about $1k above the trade-in value from Edmunds. It was also $3.4k higher than Tesla's trade-in offer, which only had ~$1.6k of sales tax value. I probably could have sold it privately for another $2-3k, but I really just didn't want to hassle with that.

equ 09-15-2018 10:51 AM

Congrats, ZBB, thanks for documenting and sharing your Model S journey with us.

ZBB 09-15-2018 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks equ!

I'll probably have a couple other posts with some summaries of the logs I kept on it.

I recorded the trip meters at the end of each month in Excel, and I used a couple of different tools to log the API feed from the car to Tesla. Unfortunately, the older tool I ran locally has broken and I can't get it to dump any reports out (I have the raw logs though, just nothing with good summaries).

About 2.5 years ago, I started using TeslaFi as the data logger -- its built by a Model S owner and he charges $50/year for the service. Here's the "Lifetime" map for the Model S -- really only the last 2.5 years, so it doesn't have some of our road trips. There are a few gaps in the map -- either due to driving in areas without cell coverage, or when Tesla had an outage (which included the 'mudgeons meet up in April -- Tesla was down for about a day…

But the map shows most of the locations we visited -- this S:
  • Drove us to both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans
  • From the US-Mexico border into Canada (it visited Canada 3 times)
  • It went as far south as Tucson AZ, as far west as the Oregon coast, as far north as Merritt BC, and as far east as Ottawa ON.
  • It visited 26 states (plus DC) and 2 Canadian provinces.
  • It took us to 8 National Parks (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forrest, Death Valley, Yosemite, Red Wood, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Arches)

Supercharging enabled all of that. Here's some stats:
  • It was Supercharged 191 times
  • It visited 127 different Superchargers.
  • Average charge cost was $10.47 (I paid the $2k option to enable Supercharging, which was originally an option on the 60kWh battery…).
  • Supercharging enabled just under 19k miles of driving (nearly all road trips).
  • Average charging stop was 44 minutes
  • Average stop added 99 rated miles.

rumatt 09-15-2018 12:59 PM

Yes, thanks for sharing. It's awesome that you loved the car so much. When they work out like that they're worth the price.

I hope you like the 3 as much.

Alan 09-16-2018 06:24 AM

Wow ... that is pretty cool you have all the stats and also a little loco ;)

Totally teasing you, thanks for sharing.