carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saw an Ariel Atom today (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=8936)

dan 02-12-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 134009)

I truly either do not understand this car, or understand it better than most.

Ultra-obsessed karters or richer folks with, like lemming said, 4 or 5 other vehicles are the only people I could imagine would actually purchase this.

sounds like you understand :dunno:

dredmo 02-12-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makaveli (Post 134010)
sounds like you understand :dunno:

Maybe I'm just defensive then. Td acted like I was an idiot for saying it wasn't practical.

TD 02-12-2007 12:00 PM

If you check out TopGear's vid, it is quicker and more nimble than a fast street bike.

John V 02-12-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 133992)
The trendy thing was a joke. But really, what is the point of this car? Comparable stats can be obtained by driving something much cooler and much safer IMHO. The Z06 had the same 0-60 and is more practical IMHO. Its handling is no joke either. I would be afraid to race this amongst bigger vehicles and I'd be afraid to take it on the road so...

A Z06 cannot touch an Atom in 0-60, but that's not the point. A Z06 can't touch an Atom around .. pretty much any racetrack, but that's not the point either.

I have a sportbike. In an ideal world where I could afford an Atom and lived in a state where I could register it, I would daily drive it (on days where rain was unlikely). Cars are too heavy. Lighter cars are more fun, even on the street. Sure, it's dangerous... many things that are fun are dangerous.

dredmo 02-12-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD (Post 134012)
If you check out TopGear's vid, it is quicker and more nimble than a fast street bike.

Sure, but not a new generation street bike like the Yamaha YFZ-R1. 12K stock - 180bhp@12,500 RPM. This thing is ~50K

Hey John V, I apologize if I read some faulty info, but isn't the Z06 and the Atom both ranked at 3.7 second 0-60? If not, I'd still have to ask if this car is really of use to anyone unless they were a karting freak or quite well off?

And FWIW...

Quote:

I have a sportbike. In an ideal world where I could afford an Atom and lived in a state where I could register it, I would daily drive it (on days where rain was unlikely). Cars are too heavy. Lighter cars are more fun, even on the street. Sure, it's dangerous... many things that are fun are dangerous.
I agree it would be fun If I had money/lenient state, but daily driving this thing would be impossible where I live. Gawkers and street walkers love to rip up stuff at my place of work.

Terri Kennedy 02-12-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredmo (Post 134024)
Hey John V, I apologize if I read some faulty info, but isn't the Z06 and the Atom both ranked at 3.7 second 0-60?

No, the Atom is 2.8 seconds. :D

Plaz 02-12-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134025)

Holy crap.

At 2.95 your scrotum catches up to you. :lol:

dredmo 02-12-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 134025)

Well now you're talking stock YFZ-R1 territory. Yeah that would be fun in more ways than one. Sucking up seat cushion even.

I'd prefer the $12K bike still, and have to stubbornly insist the atom is still not practical *to own* but holy shit, that would be fun.

John V 02-12-2007 02:20 PM

C+D tested the 240hp Atom (the "medium" state of tune; not the slowest, not the fastest) did 0-60 in 3.0 while the Z06 did it in 3.6-3.7. IIRC.

The Atom couldn't possibly replace a sportbike for me. I'm not a karting freak. I just hate how heavy cars have become. Obviously $50k is a lot for a car that would have to stay parked a good portion of the time. I'm not nuts enough to think it's a "practical" vehicle. But I would absolutely drive the thing to work, for runs to the store when I didn't need much stuff, for day-trips, etc. It wouldn't be just a "toy" for me.

lemming 02-12-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 134037)
C+D tested the 240hp Atom (the "medium" state of tune; not the slowest, not the fastest) did 0-60 in 3.0 while the Z06 did it in 3.6-3.7. IIRC.

The Atom couldn't possibly replace a sportbike for me. I'm not a karting freak. I just hate how heavy cars have become. Obviously $50k is a lot for a car that would have to stay parked a good portion of the time. I'm not nuts enough to think it's a "practical" vehicle. But I would absolutely drive the thing to work, for runs to the store when I didn't need much stuff, for day-trips, etc. It wouldn't be just a "toy" for me.

my only lodged complaint is that it's not street legal for any state that i would live in.