carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Going Faster (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   24 Hours of Lemons (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158772)

John V 10-23-2019 06:46 AM

The sticker package on the car looks fine to me. Though driving a Volvo 850 for 24 hours sounds challenging. With what looks like no camber up front, how many pairs of front tires did you go through?

The idea behind Lemons and Chump (Champ) racing is really appealing to me. I've seriously considered trying to find a team to buy a seat onto, but I've never pulled the trigger. Champ more so than Lemons purely because the whole "look how serious we aren't" mask Lemons likes to wear. But I also get that I'm not the target market.

Glad you had fun!

Nick M3 10-23-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 552904)
The sticker package on the car looks fine to me. Though driving a Volvo 850 for 24 hours sounds challenging. With what looks like no camber up front, how many pairs of front tires did you go through?

The idea behind Lemons and Chump (Champ) racing is really appealing to me. I've seriously considered trying to find a team to buy a seat onto, but I've never pulled the trigger. Champ more so than Lemons purely because the whole "look how serious we aren't" mask Lemons likes to wear. But I also get that I'm not the target market.

Glad you had fun!

Front grip was great with a 255/225 reverse stagger. The car owner’s comment on the camber was that the marginally better cornering grip wasn’t worth the acceleration and braking compromise. The dominant handling characteristic was off throttle oversteer.

Edit: It also helps that the car owner is a volvo fabricator. So it has all kinds of cheatery parts that he made himself from scrap or shop supplies.

John V 10-23-2019 07:51 AM

I wasn't asking about grip. I was asking about wear.

Nick M3 10-23-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 552906)
I wasn't asking about grip. I was asking about wear.

Wear wasn’t an issue. It uses front tires about twice as fast as the rears, but you can still get multiple races out of the fronts.

Edit: Tire age is a bigger issue than wear. These were older tires. This was the third race for the fronts, and the seventh for the rears. The fronts are pretty done. The rears are still at half tread. :lol:

John V 10-24-2019 07:25 AM

Wow, I'm surprised you can get three 24 hour sessions out of the tires.

equ 10-24-2019 07:35 AM

Sounds like great fun!

I would also love to take part in Chump or Lemons and for the same reason as JV, slight edge to the less ironic series, but either way, fun. Unfortunately, my wrenching is super limited and I don't have a racing license just a few track days scattered over the years (mostly in the distant past).

Nick M3 10-24-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 552936)
Sounds like great fun!

I would also love to take part in Chump or Lemons and for the same reason as JV, slight edge to the less ironic series, but either way, fun. Unfortunately, my wrenching is super limited and I don't have a racing license just a few track days scattered over the years (mostly in the distant past).

If you have $75, you too can have a Lemons race license. :lol:

Nick M3 10-24-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 552935)
Wow, I'm surprised you can get three 24 hour sessions out of the tires.

Well, 14.5 hours. Heat cycling is a bigger issue than wear.

kognito 10-24-2019 08:48 AM

So how did you place with the Volvo??

I'm guessing that if you guys had won, we would have already known.

I'm seriously thinking about checking out the event at Road Atlanta in December. It's only about an hour away, and could be interesting just to watch

Nick M3 10-24-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 552941)
So how did you place with the Volvo??

I'm guessing that if you guys had won, we would have already known.

I'm seriously thinking about checking out the event at Road Atlanta in December. It's only about an hour away, and could be interesting just to watch

Top half. We were off track for a few hours on Saturday after we (I) broke an engine mount brace and lost the serpentine belt. We'd have done pretty well if we hadn't broken. (The story of many a race.) After we got back on track, we battled our way up from around 90th to 52nd.