carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Keepin' it local (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   An Atom Across America (Again) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=35245)

Terri Kennedy 06-12-2010 09:01 PM

An Atom Across America (Again)

I'll be driving the Atom to Laguna Seca (what the heck, it's just all the way across the country :lol:) for an event from the 8th to the 10th of July and then back later in the month.

Google Map heading out (click on the pic for live map):

http://www.tmk.com/transient/out.jpg

Google Map heading back (likewise):

http://www.tmk.com/transient/back.jpg

If there's anybody along the route that wants to say Hi, this is your chance!

You can find up-to-date PDF schedules here and here. Note that only dates marked with a [*] are guaranteed to have me where I say I'll be - figure on a couple of days of slack either way for weather on the other days.

John V 06-12-2010 09:45 PM

I-70 through Colorado would be a lot more interesting than I-80 through Wyoming.

Terri Kennedy 06-12-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 271789)
I-70 through Colorado would be a lot more interesting than I-80 through Wyoming.

Yes. I did I-70 in Colorado and Utah a couple times, in both the Atom and the BMW. I'm somewhat pressed for time on the way out, but you'll note that one stop is at Wendover, UT :D

kognito 06-12-2010 10:04 PM

Hey Terry,

The my wife and I are working this summer in an amusement park right off 80 east of Des Moines. We are living in the adjacent RV park to Adventureland in Altoona. adventureland

I work late shifts (3 PM till closing) and am off on Tuesdays.

If you are bored of corn fields by then, stop by and look us up.

Doug

ZBB 06-12-2010 11:14 PM

Terry -
Unfortunately I'll be in China for most of late July, so no chance to head up to N AZ as you head through.

If I could make one suggestion though... You might want to consider a stop in Flagstaff instead of Kingman. It's about 90 minutes further, but higher altitude and you'll get out of the heat. Kingman in late July can easily be 105+ but Flagstaff will be below 90... You start to climb up into the mountains about 30 miles or so east of Kingman...

clyde 06-13-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271787)
I'll be driving the Atom to Laguna Seca (what the heck, it's just all the way across the country :lol:) for an event from the 8th to the 10th of July and then back later in the month.

Google Map heading out (click on the pic for live map):
[snip]

Google Map heading back (likewise):

[snip]

If there's anybody along the route that wants to say Hi, this is your chance!

You can find up-to-date PDF schedules here and here. Note that only dates marked with a [*] are guaranteed to have me where I say I'll be - figure on a couple of days of slack either way for weather on the other days.

Whatever happened to the days of getting the car or hopping on the bike and just going?

Schedules, itineraries,...pheh. :ack::mad2: :irate:

"It was better before, before they voted for what's his name,
this is supposed to be the new world,
Flint, Ford, Auto, Mobile, Alabama,
Windshield wiper, Buffalo, New York
Gary, Indiana don't forget the motor city,
Baltimore, D.c. now all we need is,
don't forget the motor city,
this was supposed to be the new world"

Terri Kennedy 06-13-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 271795)
Whatever happened to the days of getting the car or hopping on the bike and just going?

Schedules, itineraries,...pheh. :ack::mad2: :irate:

For a jaw-dropping experience, just show up at the The Ahwahnee Hotel unannounced, and gullibly ask "Do you have any rooms available?". You'll get a jaw-dropping "We have rooms available starting at $2500/night and up." :eek:

clyde 06-13-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 271798)
For a jaw-dropping experience, just show up at the The Ahwahnee Hotel unannounced, and gullibly ask "Do you have any rooms available?". You'll get a jaw-dropping "We have rooms available starting at $2500/night and up." :eek:

Better and cheaper experience that actually includes enjoying the park.

Optimus Prime 06-13-2010 11:10 AM

I'm in Peoria. You'll be in the middle of a very boring stretch when you roll through.

I'll check back in closer to July.

Terri Kennedy 06-13-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime (Post 271804)
I'm in Peoria. You'll be in the middle of a very boring stretch when you roll through.

I've actually been to Peoria a few times, mostly boating on the lake and river. There are these crazy fish (IIRC, some invasive species) that apparently get so mad at boaters that they fling themselves out of the water at people.