carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   new cars with manual transmission options (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=148325)

3LOU5 04-25-2018 07:26 PM

Still a good number. Hope they never get rid of manuals.

Would love to splurge on a new Miata.……

Jeff_DML 04-26-2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 528613)
And apparently Ford is getting ready to kill off everything but the Mustang...

Yeah just saw that:eeps:

blee 04-26-2018 01:18 AM

Quote:

Yeah, jaw dropping and yet not jaw dropping. Mostly just sad.

I dunno, guys. I love my manual transmissions but the writing is clearly on the wall, and not just for the clutch pedal. We are living in an age where driving is more of a necessary inconvenience than an experience to be enjoyed. It's more important just to get somewhere. Meanwhile, we're increasing distracting ourselves with texts instead of looking out of the windshield, and manufacturers are busy trying to be first to market with autonomous tech.

We're already being forced to buy cars with reverse cameras. Automatic headlights are surely coming soon, since no one can be bothered to turn them on any more. Automatic braking is next. Sure, these are good ideas in the name of safety, but they're all just more excuses for us to pay less attention to driving.

I see a future where all cars will be fully automated and the Stone Age machines we have now will be phased out of existence. It will be safer and incredibly boring. I bet it happens long before I buy my last car.

JST 04-26-2018 04:15 AM

How long can the Mustang last?

John V 04-26-2018 05:40 AM

Forever.

It'll just be reborn as a crossover.

lemming 04-26-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 528634)
Forever.

It'll just be reborn as a crossover.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Yes.

Alan 04-26-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 528632)
Automatic headlights are surely coming soon, since no one can be bothered to turn them on any more. Automatic braking is next.

Lol put me in this category for being too lazy to turn on the headlights. I am so used to this feature that we rented a dodge minivan a couple of weeks ago and I was almost one of those idiots that didn’t turn on their headlights .. I actually started driving and was like ... man my headlights are off, it took me forever to find the switch :eeps:

Auto braking is a strange one, we have it on some of our cars and the A4 actually has it at low speeds so it is really weird when your coming out of a parking spot and the car just hits the brakes ... the system is too sensitive sometimes and there really is no reason for it to brake.

wdc330i 04-26-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 528647)
Auto braking is a strange one, we have it on some of our cars and the A4 actually has it at low speeds so it is really weird when your coming out of a parking spot and the car just hits the brakes ... the system is too sensitive sometimes and there really is no reason for it to brake.

I made sure to avoid all the intrusive "driving assistant" options on my 2 series.

Theo 04-26-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 528648)
I made sure to avoid all the intrusive "driving assistant" options on my 2 series.

And I’m so glad they still LET you opt out of them.

IndyMike 04-26-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Say it ain't so! The company that used to tout it had a better idea, has become one that will have a bitter idea if true.