carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   About to do something very stupid (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=145749)

clyde 02-23-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 523830)
Doing a bit of a mix of both previous trips with a bit extra. We are taking the kids with us. 2 weeks.

Day 1) BMW factory/museum/car delivery. PM Drive Munich to Salzburg via quick stop at Berchtesgaden (Eagle’s Nest) – 125 miles (3+ hours of driving total)
Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 3) PM Salzburg to Hallstatt – 46 miles (1+ hours of driving)
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 5) Early AM Hallstatt to Bolzano (via Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Dolomites) – 261 miles (all day worth of scenic driving).
Day 6) Early AM Bolzano to Lake Como (via Swiz.) – 164 miles (5+ hours of driving)
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como
Day 8) Early AM Lake Como to Interlaken (via Gotthard & Susten passes) – 141 miles (4+ hours of driving)
Day 9) Interlaken to Strassbourg via blackforest (with brief stops along the way) – 211 miles (all day worth of driving)
Day 10) Strassbourg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (stopping in Stuttgart only to visit MB & Porsche Museums) – 186 miles (3+ hours of driving)
Day 11) Stay in Rothenburg - Have break-in service done – Dealer is 2 miles away. I should be at or over 1200 miles.
Day 12) Rothenberg to Munich via Schwangau – 250 miles (under 4.5 hours total)
Day 13) Return car and fly out.

May ditch Strassbourg in favor of more time in Interlaken so we can visit Jungefrau.

Um, that list looks like it's missing something.

Should be fun, though. When is delivery expected?

Nick M3 02-23-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523807)
I'd assume that the sunroof will increase your sale value in the general population. Just not here.

Slicktops have significantly enhanced value in private party sale.

3LOU5 02-23-2018 10:27 PM

Quote:

Doing a bit of a mix of both previous trips with a bit extra. We are taking the kids with us. 2 weeks.

Day 1) BMW factory/museum/car delivery. PM Drive Munich to Salzburg via quick stop at Berchtesgaden (Eagle’s Nest) – 125 miles (3+ hours of driving total)
Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 5) Early AM Hallstatt to Bolzano (via Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Dolomites) – 261 miles (all day worth of scenic driving).
Day 6) Early AM Bolzano to Lake Como (via Swiz.) – 164 miles (5+ hours of driving)
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como
Day 8) Early AM Lake Como to Interlaken (via Gotthard & Susten passes) – 141 miles (4+ hours of driving)
Day 9) Interlaken to Strassbourg via blackforest (with brief stops along the way) – 211 miles (all day worth of driving)
Day 10) Strassbourg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (stopping in Stuttgart only to visit MB & Porsche Museums) – 186 miles (3+ hours of driving)
Day 11) Stay in Rothenburg - Have break-in service done – Dealer is 2 miles away. I should be at or over 1200 miles.

May ditch Strassbourg in favor of more time in Interlaken so we can visit Jungefrau.

I don't know if you are going to pass through Switzerland, but if you're still desiring a Swiss timepiece, stop there.

I saved about $500 on my Tag the last time I was in Lucerne. Should have bought an Omega there, lol.

Have fun and congrats !!

lip277 02-23-2018 10:30 PM

Awesome - It will be a blast (both the Euro delivery -and getting to drive your car around while you are there).
My did did that with his 1994 E32. He always talked about it - and gave my Mom lots of excuses to shaker her head - that was so fun to see them both engaged that way.

SARAFIL 02-23-2018 10:48 PM

About to do something very stupid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 523767)
me too, but leased so BMW eats the depreciation with those crazy lease deals

Fixed that for you

Loving my 66% 3 year residual on the 550... checked trade value recently out of curiosity and I’m at least $20k upside down right now due to the high residual. Let BMW take the hit. This one will definitely be my record in terms of gap between residual and actual lease end ACV.

rumatt 02-23-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 523839)
Slicktops have significantly enhanced value in private party sale.

Well, there you go FC. It's better for both you and us if you delete the roof. :D

FC 02-24-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 523843)
Well, there you go FC. It's better for both you and us if you delete the roof. :D

Well, that's a shame.:twisted:

kognito 02-24-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
Day 7) Stay in Lake Como

Sounds like an awesome trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 523831)
Nice.

I’d recommend spending more time in Interlachen — beautiful area...

This!!

IndyMike 02-24-2018 10:13 AM

Congratulations on the early birthday gift. I likey likey both the specs and trip agenda. Anything with "orange" in the name is a good thing, although SO is more reddish than orange most times, and reminds me of IR, and that certainly doesn't reek. Awwww.....nice......to have another orange titled car on the board.

The only comment about the trip details is I would spend more time in the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden area. It's great you have the Eagles Nest on the list, but there's the salt mines, Konigsee and great walking trails to help drink in the beautiful Alpine air and scenery. The kids will be tired due to the jet lag, and a day or two to help everyone unwind and decompress will set up the rest of the trip to be better enjoyed, imo.

But even as its planned, it's going to be a great gig for everyone.

Oh, and thanks for not getting a Tesla. You can get one of those later, once you're an over 40 geezer..........lol.

lemming 02-24-2018 11:22 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job, FC. Get the car you want so you spend money and enjoy it instead of buying and saying “I should have....”

It’s not the last car you’re ever going to buy either way.