carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Technical Superiority (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Well, finally got around to replacing the front brakes. (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=24805)

FC 05-25-2009 11:07 AM

Well, finally got around to replacing the front brakes.

Not bad at all other than after 59,870 miles and 6 years in NE, the rotors had found a happy home and it took some coaxing to get them out.

I just came back from bedding them and the brakes feel very nice. The car is begging for a bleeding, but the fadish feel is gone.

As you can see from the photos (will post soon), one of the pads (passenger/non-sensor side) was down to the metal.:ack: Of course, the sensor pad had the most material left so it never tripped.:rolleyes:

A bit stinky as the top layer of the rotor got cleaned out, but overall very quick and clean job. No issues.

Very happy with the new brakes.:)

Oh, and I must have mistakenly selected and paid for 2 sensors while ending up not needing any. I guess I'll return them.

FC 05-25-2009 12:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pics...

lupinsea 05-26-2009 02:10 PM

:thumbup:

That reminds me, I need to bleed the brakes on the Jeep (probably). It's been a couple years at least. And I'm coming up on my 100k fluid service for the ZHP, too. Figure I'll change the brake fluid / bleed system while I'm at it.

rumatt 05-26-2009 02:27 PM

Hmm... wore the passenger side down the metal, but the driver side hadn't tripped the sensor yet?

Is this normal or is this is sign of a stuck caliper? Or that you do a lot of braking in left hand turns???

When I changed mine, the inside pad was significantly more worn than the outer, but they were symmetric on both sides of the car.

FC 05-26-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 230072)
Hmm... wore the passenger side down the metal, but the driver side hadn't tripped the sensor yet?

Is this normal or is this is sign of a stuck caliper? Or that you do a lot of braking in left hand turns???

When I changed mine, the inside pad was significantly more worn than the outer, but they were symmetric on both sides of the car.

The brake calipers were both fine. I don't really know. At that stage of wear I am not worried about any issues. If one pad were down to metal and the others had 50% life, or even 25% left, I'd worry. That one was partially at nothing versus all others being at almost nothing doesn't really concern me. They feel great so far.

John V 05-26-2009 06:21 PM

And you've flushed the brake fluid every 1-2 years, correct?

FC 05-26-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 230117)
And you've flushed the brake fluid every 1-2 years, correct?

Yup. I'm (over)due for my third flush @ 6 years and 60k miles.

iateyourcheese 05-27-2009 10:07 AM

OE pads and rotors, or something special?