carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Going Faster (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What the Mazda RX-8 should have been (new autocross car build) (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=143692)

Nick M3 02-03-2018 07:00 PM

How is the MX-5 transmission so heavy?!?!?

rumatt 02-03-2018 07:10 PM

Can you help me untangle the wires behind my television entertainment center?

But seriously. Holy shit man. This is intense. I'm staring at the wiring shots thinking maybe you're just messing with us. :eek:

Thanks for documenting this. It's really cool to watch.

clyde 02-03-2018 07:51 PM

I'm not sure those that don't know JV personally really understand what things like "I've checked every wire a bunch" really mean.

The built car is going to be amazing in execution. I so, so, so, hope the performance matches.

bren 02-03-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 522191)

:lol:

Alan 02-04-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 522191)

But seriously. Holy shit man. This is intense. I'm staring at the wiring shots thinking maybe you're just messing with us. :eek:

Thanks for documenting this. It's really cool to watch.

Lol hat is funny :lol:

Also agree with the comments ... very cool to watch. It really amazes me that John is literally building his own car ...

John V 02-05-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 522190)
How is the MX-5 transmission so heavy?!?!?

It's big? :dunno:

The NC 6-speed is a pretty stout transmission, so maybe that's it? I don't really know. The RX-8 6-speed is essentially the same transmission with different gear ratios and a different bellhousing bolt pattern and it weighs the same.

Interestingly the K-Miata folks have come up with an adapter to use a 320Z with the Honda K motor. I would actually have loved to do that with the RX-8 but it would be a lot of work and the FC/FD RX-7 transmission is strong. My only concern is availability - RX-7s are getting old and it's getting harder to find transmissions. I think at some point I'll probably have a Jerico in the car but for now this will be a good solution.

Nick M3 02-05-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 522243)
It's big? :dunno:

The NC 6-speed is a pretty stout transmission, so maybe that's it? I don't really know. The RX-8 6-speed is essentially the same transmission with different gear ratios and a different bellhousing bolt pattern and it weighs the same.

Interestingly the K-Miata folks have come up with an adapter to use a 320Z with the Honda K motor. I would actually have loved to do that with the RX-8 but it would be a lot of work and the FC/FD RX-7 transmission is strong. My only concern is availability - RX-7s are getting old and it's getting harder to find transmissions. I think at some point I'll probably have a Jerico in the car but for now this will be a good solution.

I’m utterly puzzled as to why Mazda would put such a big, heavy, stout transmission in the Miata, though. I mean, the Getrag 420G is quite a bit less than 110lbs. for example.

John V 02-05-2018 08:51 AM

It could be because of the whole PPF thing. The transmission case has to be rigid and strong enough for the moment arm tying the transmission to the diff.

But yeah, I don't know.

lemming 02-09-2018 08:00 AM

the wiring alone looks daunting.

and did I see that you're gong to put a turbocharger on too!?

John V 02-09-2018 09:06 AM

Yes. Turbo on a 2.5L Duratec four cylinder running E85.

It should be good for 500-550hp at the crank before any detuning. Assuming I can get the car to ~ 2,600lbs or a little under, 4.7-5.2lbs/hp seems like it should move out pretty well while not upsetting the chassis balance or Cg of the RX-8 platform. :D