carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   So who's going to be the first... (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158653)

lemming 07-24-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 550715)
Well, the Porsches. The R8 is nice enough. I like the GT a lot; the NSX both old and new are ok.

I like the Huracan.

Okay fine.

Can’t argue with those.

robg 07-25-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 550713)
Given that you own a Tesla 3, which is....subjectively challenging to look at, what mid engine car suits your eye?

I’m curious because I find most of them to be challenging.

(Except for the Porsche models)

The model 3 actually looks to me like something Porsche might design. I do appreciate how “clean” it is with very little ornamentation. Makes you realize how much styling gingerbread is on most modern cars.

John V 07-25-2019 05:37 AM

You like the NSX? That, to me, is a newer car that is kind of a mess from a styling perspective. But that's sort of Honda's thing.

lemming 07-25-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 550728)
The model 3 actually looks to me like something Porsche might design. I do appreciate how “clean” it is with very little ornamentation. Makes you realize how much styling gingerbread is on most modern cars.

I know that styling and exhaust note are really subjective (which was JST’s point).

I think Ferrari has become soulless and the Italian equivalent of a Honda Civic Si —too fussy. I’m not a super fan of Lambo either. There’s something weird and soft about the McLarens. Love the Ford GT. Probably my favorite super car right now for looks.

I don’t think there’s a better looking car right now than the 718. It’s clean and classic looking. Less strakes and louvers than the BMW M standard these days.

The C8 reminds me more of design elements I like in the Acura NSX of the 90s. It speaks to me.

I also think the American V8 sound is intoxicating. It trumps the high pitched overly echo-y Ferrari sound to my ears.

That written I haven’t driven this car. I worry about the steering feel and the sheer size of this thing. I hate the new 911 size and this is likely bigger.

wdc330i 07-25-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 550734)
I know that styling and exhaust note are really subjective (which was JST’s point).

I think Ferrari has become soulless and the Italian equivalent of a Honda Civic Si —too fussy. I’m not a super fan of Lambo either. There’s something weird and soft about the McLarens. Love the Ford GT. Probably my favorite super car right now for looks.

I don’t think there’s a better looking car right now than the 718. It’s clean and classic looking. Less strakes and louvers than the BMW M standard these days.

The C8 reminds me more of design elements I like in the Acura NSX of the 90s. It speaks to me.

I also think the American V8 sound is intoxicating. It trumps the high pitched overly echo-y Ferrari sound to my ears.

That written I haven’t driven this car. I worry about the steering feel and the sheer size of this thing. I hate the new 911 size and this is likely bigger.

I agree about the 718. Best looking Boxster so far.

Theo 07-25-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 550715)
Well, the Porsches. The R8 is nice enough. I like the GT a lot; the NSX both old and new are ok.

I LOVE the Huracan.

FIXED

Theo 07-25-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 550737)
I agree about the 718. Best looking Boxster so far.

Besides the head and tail lights what looks wise is so different.

Btw I wish those two items where interchangeable with the 981. ESP the taillights. The are worlds better on the 718.

robg 07-25-2019 10:04 AM

So who's going to be the first...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 550734)

Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. Previously I’ve rented Charger RTs a few times that have also put a smile on my face. Not sure why I’m only now appreciating American v8s at 45. Only downside is that I got around 12 mpg in both cars because I loved hearing the sound when accelerating.

Theo 07-25-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 550744)
Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. Previously I’ve rented Charger RTs a few times that have also put a smile on my face. Not sure why I’m only now appreciating American v8s at 45. Only downside is that I got around 12 mpg in both cars because I loved hearing the sound when accelerating.

I was in high school in the early 80’s and muscle cars were dirt cheap. I had three in a row. 70 charger 383, 71 GTO 400 and a 69 383 roadrunner.

The V8 sound of my youth will always be part of me and make me smile. Sound and gear rowing is what I grew up with and will always be hard to let go. #NoTeslaForMe

Alan 07-25-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robg (Post 550744)
Totally agree on American v8s. I rented a Ford Mustang GT convertible this past weekend and the sound alone made me happy. .

That is pretty cool ... where can you rent one of these ? Was this outside of NY ?