carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electric Pickup Trucks (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=158707)

rumatt 09-02-2019 10:36 AM

Electric Pickup Trucks

Tesla isn't the only one.

Electrek: Ford is bringing all-electric F150 pickup to market ‘before 2022’.
https://electrek.co/2019/09/02/fordl...0-market-2022/

ff 09-03-2019 07:47 AM

The norm for full size pickup trucks now is big lift kits and loud exhaust. This would be the opposite of that. I have a feeling that these trucks would end up being fleet trucks for utility companies (for example) where presenting yourself to the world as a big hairy-chested micro-penis'ed manly tough man is less important. ;)

rumatt 09-03-2019 08:09 AM

That was my thought was well. EV's are almost universally mocked in the truck forums. And yet there's a wave of electric trucks coming down the pipe. Tesla, Ford, Rivian.

The low end torque and throttle control would be awesome in a truck, whether for driving around a work site or off-roading.

But what doesn't align well is limited range. When you are using the truck to move furniture, haul things around a work site, or get to your next job, stopping by a supercharger for 20 minutes is not an acceptable option. Work sites are often in rural places away from chargers as well.

Then again a huge percentage of trucks are used primarily for driving back and forth to Starbucks. (like mine :lol:). That's where the electric trucks will shine. Maybe Leonard Dicaprio will drive one.

FC 09-03-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 551590)
The norm for full size pickup trucks now is big lift kits and loud exhaust. This would be the opposite of that. I have a feeling that these trucks would end up being fleet trucks for utility companies (for example) where presenting yourself to the world as a big hairy-chested micro-penis'ed manly tough man is less important. ;)

Agreed.

wdc330i 09-03-2019 09:31 AM

Being a truck dilettante, I could see having an electric version.

JST 09-03-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 551591)
That was my thought was well. EV's are almost universally mocked in the truck forums. And yet there's a wave of electric trucks coming down the pipe. Tesla, Ford, Riverian.

The low end torque and throttle control would be awesome in a truck, whether for driving around a work site or off-roading.

But what doesn't align well is limited range. When you are using the truck to move furniture, haul things around a work site, or get to your next job, stopping by a supercharger for 20 minutes is not an acceptable option. Work sites are often in rural places away from chargers as well.

Then again a huge percentage of trucks are used primarily for driving back and forth to Starbucks. (like mine :lol:). That's where the electric trucks will shine. Maybe Leonard Dicaprio will drive one.

People doubted that buyers would embrace aluminum or give up V8s in favor of a twin-turbo six, as well.

My guess is that pickup buyers are less reactionary than most people think. When presented with a compelling option, they'll go for it. There are a lot of ways in which an EV pickup would be noticeably better than a gas or even diesel option, though there are also clear use cases where it would not be.

If Ford presents a serious alternative and couples it with an investment in charging infrastructure, they may quickly jump into EV leadership. Not all F150s will be electric any time soon, but if even a small percentage are, that's a LOT of trucks on the road.

FC 09-03-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 551594)
Not all F150s will be electric any time soon, but if even a small percentage are, that's a LOT of trucks on the road.

I agree with this as well. I do think there will enough numbers to support the move.

Nick M3 09-03-2019 10:48 AM

Even if they didn’t sell a single one outside of fleet channels, I bet they’d sell a gigantic number. (And I do think they’ll sell to the public.)

kognito 09-03-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff (Post 551590)

Something that seems to be growing in popularity in this area is lifting only the front end, 6-8 inch lift on 24"rims

Who the fuck knows why, it can't ride good, and I like seeing where I am going

ff 09-03-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kognito (Post 551606)
Something that seems to be growing in popularity in this area is lifting only the front end, 6-8 inch lift on 24"rims

I've seen some of that too. I guess that's so you can look at the sky, instead of the road in front of you? Dunno.