carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   It's official .... the R8 is finally mine !! (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=98643)

Alan 11-29-2014 05:07 PM

It's official .... the R8 is finally mine !!

1 Attachment(s)
The Audi is officially mine, the car was previously owned by a man who ordered it when the R8s first came out and he was in his mid 80's at the time ... he had 15 cars when he passed away, the estate is now liquidating the cars and this was the first one they sold ... some of the others were a Maserati Quattroport, a late model Rolls, a Ferrari 575, a Bentley ... anyway you get the idea ... the man had very good taste in cars.

For some reason finding an Original Owner R8 was really hard to find and I looked at all years from 2009 to 2012 ... most of them had 3,4 or ever more owners ... This 2008 which was a year I wasn't looking into but it was such a find I couldn't resist. Anyway it has 9,500 miles and like I mentioned in the other thread it has the R tronic ...

Today was my first day with the car, I picked it up an hour away and had some time to play with it though I was a total spaz driving home because I was so nervous .... I have to say this transmission is really cool, when first driving off from -0- mph it has characteristics of a manual, there is no rolling forward like an automatic, you need to lift off the throttle when shifting gears like a manual to get it smooth and overall it is just so amazing to learn something new and so different though I have along road ahead of me.

My 16 yr old son was more excited then I was and he caught the drift of the r tronic very quickly ...

Here is a quick pic ... (yes the garage is a mess)

clyde 11-29-2014 05:29 PM

Cool! Enjoy!

IndyMike 11-29-2014 05:51 PM

Supercar. Props!

equ 11-29-2014 06:35 PM

Congrats!

bren 11-29-2014 07:20 PM

Nice.

The transmission sounds like it behaves just like SMG in the e46m3.

kognito 11-29-2014 07:32 PM

Awesome! congrats!

ff 11-29-2014 08:00 PM

Very cool. Enjoy it!

SARAFIL 11-29-2014 10:05 PM

Great car! Good luck, would love to see more pics when you have a chance

equ 11-30-2014 12:28 AM

I recently test drove a b7 rs4. What a great v8 engine... Can only imagine it in a lighter, lower, much more rear-biased car.

lip277 11-30-2014 12:29 AM

Cool - :)

Alan 11-30-2014 10:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here a few more pics, these were taken by the seller, I haven't had time yet to clean her up but these are my actual car.

Alan 11-30-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 436278)
Nice.

The transmission sounds like it behaves just like SMG in the e46m3.

I would say if there was a scale where SMG was a 1 and the DSG was a 4, this transmission would be a 3 in terms of smoothness and refinement.

In my experience with the E46 SMG which was MANY years ago was that it was clunky, it banged into gear and really was in need of some major refinement (I was not a fan) ... the R tronic is much smoother and feels much more refined though what I like is it still has the rawness to it so you would never mistake it for a regular automatic with a torque converter.

If you try to drive it like an automatic your not going to like it if you don't take you foot gently off the gas pedal during shifts because you will bob around but it is not a jerky feel, it is more of a delayed feel as the Automated clutch does it job.

Plaz 11-30-2014 11:07 AM

So great. Congrats again!

Jeff_DML 11-30-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 436293)
Here a few more pics, these were taken by the seller, I haven't had time yet to clean her up but these are my actual car.

looks mint, congrats:cool:

kognito 11-30-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 436284)
I recently test drove a b7 rs4. What a great v8 engine... Can only imagine it in a lighter, lower, much more rear-biased car.

Not to mention that the engine sound is behind your head! ;)

bren 11-30-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 436294)
I would say if there was a scale where SMG was a 1 and the DSG was a 4, this transmission would be a 3 in terms of smoothness and refinement.

In my experience with the E46 SMG which was MANY years ago was that it was clunky, it banged into gear and really was in need of some major refinement (I was not a fan) ... the R tronic is much smoother and feels much more refined though what I like is it still has the rawness to it so you would never mistake it for a regular automatic with a torque converter.

If you try to drive it like an automatic your not going to like it if you don't take you foot gently off the gas pedal during shifts because you will bob around but it is not a jerky feel, it is more of a delayed feel as the Automated clutch does it job.

Yup, still sounds exactly the same.

My guess is you were just being hamfisted. :dunno:

blee 12-01-2014 08:43 AM

Man, too freaking cool. Nice purchase!

Theo 12-01-2014 08:58 AM

Beautiful!

robg 12-02-2014 11:18 PM

Awesome! You now own 2 of my current favorite sports cars.

Rob 12-03-2014 02:31 AM

Super congrats! The salesman suggested when we bought my wife's Q7 that they had the cheapest R8 in the country (lightly optioned). I didn't buy it. :)

lupinsea 12-03-2014 03:37 PM

The R8 has always been a fantastic looking car to me. Nice one!

Alan 12-04-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 436316)
Yup, still sounds exactly the same.

My guess is you were just being hamfisted. :dunno:

I would think overall it is the same when describing it because it is a single auto clutch not a dual so maybe I am wrong but I'd think all single clutches have the same basic concept just like every manual has the same concept but each has a different feel.

I can only tell you from when I remember driving an E46 M3 SMG, it had this crazy BANG into gear that I am not experiencing and the SMG automated clutch engaging and disengaging felt more abrupt and not nearly as smooth. Maybe I'm wrong since I am comparing it to a memory of over 6 to 7 years ago.

Anyway overall IMO this have a more refined feel.

Alan 12-04-2014 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the congrats ... I really appreciate it and still can't believe I have that car in my garage ... Call me crazy but I still keep going in there to see it ...

clyde 12-04-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 436740)
Thanks everyone for the congrats ... I really appreciate it and still can't believe I have that car in my garage ... Call me crazy but I still keep going in there to see it ...

I think you should pick up Plaz with it and the drive it down to the Team WTF?! Fancy ass wine taste test...whenever we actually have it. Before we drink the wine, we can all test drive it back to back with bren's E46 M3 SMG II and then we can all debate the differences.

bren 12-04-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 436747)
I think you should pick up Plaz with it and the drive it down to the Team WTF?! Fancy ass wine taste test...whenever we actually have it. Before we drink the wine, we can all test drive it back to back with bren's E46 M3 SMG II and then we can all debate the differences.

That's a good plan!

We just have to do it quickly before my sub-frame falls out. Oh, and it has to be above freezing for the m3 to start so I can even drive it to the gathering. On second thought, maybe we should use Terry's car instead. :ack:

Alan 12-04-2014 11:12 PM

Sorry Bren I didn't even know you had the Smg ... Shit I'm going by memory of when I drove my friends ... Sometimes when describing something in the car world when comparing pretty much the same technology it is like splitting hairs ...

Big picture yes they are the same ... The differences is so minut that unless you have both in the garage they would probably feel the same.

bren 12-05-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 436755)
Sorry Bren I didn't even know you had the Smg ... Shit I'm going by memory of when I drove my friends ... Sometimes when describing something in the car world when comparing pretty much the same technology it is like splitting hairs ...

Big picture yes they are the same ... The differences is so minut that unless you have both in the garage they would probably feel the same.

If you just jump in and without giving it any thought start banging off gears with your foot planted to the floor it will certainly jerk/bang, etc.. You are after all asking it to change gears in milliseconds.

Alan 12-09-2018 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of car things happening in the AF household !!

The R8 was shipped out this morning ... after 4 years of ownership and having a total of 16,877 miles on it the R8 is now heading to Cali to it's new owner. I got $16k less then I purchased it for 4 year ago. It was truly one of my favorite cars ever !!

Coincidentally a 1/2 hour later I turned the A6 in ... it was a 2 yr lease and the car had 14k miles ...

Another thing .... the A4 was shipped up from Florida to NY and I picked it up yesterday morning, its got a whopping 4,000 miles so I'll drive it until the new car comes in.

Fortunately yesterday the 540i hit the port so hopefully I have it within the next week.

BTW no idea why the picture is crooked, when you click on the pic it straightens out !?!?

rumatt 12-09-2018 01:58 PM

Wow, what a thread bump.

Why did you sell it?

Alan 12-09-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 542769)

Why did you sell it?

Sorry I thought you said when did you sell it and didn’t answer your actual question(deleted previous message) ... I love the R8 but after 4 yrs it was a great car but time for something different.... I want an i8 ...

I’m not in a rush to get one but eventually I will find the right one.

lemming 12-10-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 542772)
Sorry I thought you said when did you sell it and didn’t answer your actual question(deleted previous message) ... I love the R8 but after 4 yrs it was a great car but time for something different.... I want an i8 ...

I’m not in a rush to get one but eventually I will find the right one.

i8 is cool

wdc330i 12-10-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 542795)
i8 is cool

:+1

wdc330i 12-11-2018 12:45 PM

Here's a nice one: https://www.unitedbmw.com/detail-201...-18375823.html

Alan 12-11-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 542878)

Thanks for the link I appreciate it. I am looking for a very specific car, I want white with the frost blue trim ( for reference the car you linked does have the frost blue trim)

Meanwhile with the winter just about here I’m taking my time.

wdc330i 12-12-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 542902)
Thanks for the link I appreciate it. I am looking for a very specific car, I want white with the frost blue trim ( for reference the car you linked does have the frost blue trim)

Meanwhile with the winter just about here I’m taking my time.

That sounds like a cool spec.

Plaz 12-13-2018 12:04 PM

Congrats, like sands through the hourglass...

The i8 is way cool but I can't unsee the rear as pooping out a 911. :eeps: