carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Best blower to dry off car (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=150742)

Alan 06-23-2018 08:53 PM

Best blower to dry off car

I am so done with using an electric leaf blower to dry off my car, I hit the roof too many times causing small paint blemishes ... I want a dryer for my car that has a similiar system like a vacuum cleaner with a light hose so I don’t have to worry about hitting the car with it.

The master blaster seems to be the choice of some :dunno: .... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Josh (PA) 06-23-2018 10:39 PM

I didn't know this was a thing. Can you use your wet /dry vac?

Personally I use a California water blade with a few clean microfiber towels to dry and it works acceptably for me.

lip277 06-24-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 532211)
I didn't know this was a thing. Can you use your wet /dry vac?

Personally I use a California water blade with a few clean microfiber towels to dry and it works acceptably for me.

I do that too (the blade). Tried using air (both compressed air from my shop compressor and the 'blower' that is advertised for that). Neither worked very well - so... I stuck with the blade (or just use the towel straight).

YMMV of course...

JST 06-24-2018 06:06 AM

I use a large bath towel—have had the same one since HS, believe it or not.

John V 06-24-2018 06:13 PM

Blade plus a big cotton towel here.

dan 06-24-2018 06:49 PM

Uhhh I think it’s time for a new towel JST

Nick M3 06-24-2018 07:36 PM

A blower isn’t going to work well unless you are religious about waxing.

Terri Kennedy 06-24-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 532210)
I am so done with using an electric leaf blower to dry off my car, I hit the roof too many times causing small paint blemishes ... I want a dryer for my car that has a similiar system like a vacuum cleaner with a light hose so I don’t have to worry about hitting the car with it.

What is this "drying off" of which you speak? :dunno:

https://www.glaver.org/transient/DSCF1009-s.jpg

https://www.glaver.org/transient/DSCF1010-s.jpg

clyde 06-24-2018 10:46 PM

Even with generally meticulous cleaning of blades between wipes, it doesn't help when shit falls on the car and you can't see it in the water beads. Too many scratches.

I bought two Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth 25"x36" microfiber drying towels recently and am pretty pleased. It takes about 1 and a quarter towels to dry the Camaro. They seem ridiculously expensive for what they are, but I bought a few different types that were cheaper but these work best by far and give me the least angst of adding scratches.

rumatt 06-24-2018 10:53 PM

Yeah, I bought that blade thingy and used it for a few years,but was paranoid every time.

Even microfiber towels worry me.

I like the idea of air....... in theory. But my experiments with leaf blowers didn't prove particularly effective. So I ended up back at towels

JST 06-24-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan (Post 532233)
Uhhh I think it’s time for a new towel JST

Hey, it still works well! And I stole it from my friend's mom, so it's really nice and high quality.

Alan 06-25-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 532235)
A blower isn’t going to work well unless you are religious about waxing.

I’ve been using a leaf blower for years and I’ve never had an issue, it works fine with a car that needs to be waxed believe I know :eeps:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy (Post 532238)
What is this "drying off" of which you speak? :dunno:

That is a nice set up :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 532245)
Hey, it still works well! And I stole it from my friend's mom, so it's really nice and high quality.

Regular towels are not good for the paint but heck you’ve been using it for years so I’d say it is not a worry for you.

JST 06-25-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 532252)
I’ve been using a leaf blower for years and I’ve never had an issue, it works fine with a car that needs to be waxed believe I know :eeps:

That is a nice set up :thumbup:

Regular towels are not good for the paint but heck you’ve been using it for years so I’d say it is not a worry for you.

There is a point at which I can’t really be bothered to care about a car’s paint. I figure if a nice cotton towel is ok for my skin, it’s fine for the car.

Except the Porsche tried to eat it this morning.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...04f03c5a2.heic

Nick M3 06-25-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 532263)
There is a point at which I can’t really be bothered to care about a car’s paint. I figure if a nice cotton towel is ok for my skin, it’s fine for the car.

Except the Porsche tried to eat it this morning.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...04f03c5a2.heic

At this rate, I'm going to have to reduce my offer to buy it. :p

Nick M3 06-25-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 532252)

:dunno:

Even with a really powerful gas powered blower, I don't really find blow drying that effective or quick unless the car has just been waxed. It works *eventually* but not as quickly as just toweling the car off with microfiber.

ff 06-25-2018 12:14 PM

I use a blade on the windows, and then a bath towel to wipe the entire car down. I've always done it this way, and can't say that I've ever noticed any ill effects.

clyde 11-23-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 532210)

The master blaster seems to be the choice of some :dunno: .... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Alan, I bought a 600CFM Worx Turbine in late Septmeber after seeing this:

and reading a couple reviews elsewhere. Combined with a towel to get the last little bits works incredibly well. Not sure it's better or faster than just the towel, but I don't have my technique with the blower down yet. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it during spring when all the pollen is out and about.

Thing works really well as an actual leaf blower, too! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 532242)
I bought two Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth 25"x36" microfiber drying towels recently and am pretty pleased. It takes about 1 and a quarter towels to dry the Camaro. They seem ridiculously expensive for what they are, but I bought a few different types that were cheaper but these work best by far and give me the least angst of adding scratches.

These towels are an Amazon lightning deal right now for about 5 and a half more hours (until about 2:00am EDT Saturday +/- when you do the math).

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B0042Z0LEO

$12.72

Thinking about getting another one just because.

Alan 11-24-2018 10:35 AM

Hey Clyde ... I wish I saw this earlier I would have bought those towels but I am too late the price is back to normal.

Love that leave blower, how is the weight of it ? I am going to check mine out and see the power of it but hat one looks really good.

Thanks for posting it !!

clyde 11-24-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF (Post 542046)
Hey Clyde ... I wish I saw this earlier I would have bought those towels but I am too late the price is back to normal.

Love that leave blower, how is the weight of it ? I am going to check mine out and see the power of it but hat one looks really good.

Thanks for posting it !!

6.4 lbs. When it's blowing, it's very comfortably balanced.

rumatt 11-24-2018 10:10 PM

A corded leaf blower? Pffft.

The Worx 56V leaf blower is excellent. Short runtime but while it's running its great for a battery blower.

clyde 11-25-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 542060)
A corded leaf blower? Pffft.

The Worx 56V leaf blower is excellent. Short runtime but while it's running its great for a battery blower.

So, I should have spent four times as much for something that doesn't blow as hard as needed when the object of the exercise was to buy something that blew as much and as hard as possible for as little money as possible?

Why?

rumatt 11-25-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyde (Post 542083)
Why?

Because cords suck?

That's all I got.

clyde 11-25-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt (Post 542086)
Because cords suck?

That's all I got.

Agree cords suck. But cordless version doesn't meet the needs, so... :dunno:

3LOU5 11-26-2018 01:37 PM

Wayne Carini of the show "Chasing Classic Cars" endorses MetroVac Air Force Master Blaster.

Can't see him using inferior products, judging how successful he is in the automobile business. Worth a look-see, but kinda expensive........I suppose to pay Carini's salary, LOL.

:dunno: :dunno:

kognito 11-26-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3LOU5 (Post 542126)
Wayne Carini of the show "Chasing Classic Cars" endorses MetroVac Air Force Master Blaster.

Can't see him using inferior products, judging how successful he is in the automobile business. Worth a look-see, but kinda expensive........I suppose to pay Carini's salary, LOL.

:dunno: :dunno:

Crap that's expensive.

I'm guessing he is a well paid endorser