carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Car Talk (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The E39 M5 market. (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=152964)

Nick M3 08-29-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 536311)
Don't kill the dream!:(

I can totally see how. Heavy, not sporty, slow transmission, etc.

Still, that car was inspirational for me as a teen, so I have a special place for it. It's also a pretty car.

They'd been decontented and crapped up by then. '97 is a way better year. 4 valve engine making more power, stiffer suspension. My Mom had a '97 and a 2001. The '97 was way better with a stiffer suspension and dinky tires and more power.

I'd probably want to find one of the silly rare early manual 300SLs, though.

FC 08-30-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536322)
I'd probably want to find one of the silly rare early manual 300SLs, though.

Yeah, that's a needle in a haystack for sure.

FC 08-30-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536322)
They'd been decontented and crapped up by then. '97 is a way better year. 4 valve engine making more power, stiffer suspension. My Mom had a '97 and a 2001. The '97 was way better with a stiffer suspension and dinky tires and more power.

I don't dream about a 2001 exactly - just any R129. My favorite are the '96+ models with the facelift.

Nick M3 08-30-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 536331)
I don't dream about a 2001 exactly - just any R129. My favorite are the '96+ models with the facelift.

It’s 96-97 that you want. 98 is when they crapified it.

FC 08-30-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick M3 (Post 536336)
It’s 96-97 that you want. 98 is when they crapified it.

Good to know.

lemming 08-30-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SARAFIL (Post 536316)
I really like those SLs also. I think Zach is right on his comments but don’t think those are the reasons I’d want one anyways. They are cheap enough that it could be an interesting part of a fleet of a few fun cars. Alas, no space for extra toys at this point... maybe down the road.

I agree. Buying a car to just park it and hope for appreciation seems like a risky proposition. There have been a few cars like this on BAT recently (some guy in Hawaii with E46 M3 and another guy with original MINI GP) and the math just doesn’t work on most cases. Maybe they have a ton of money and got personal enjoyment out of it but seems like they would have been better off driving the cars a bit and getting some use out of them.

I follow this advice.

Just drive the cars.

Theo 09-07-2018 01:10 PM

So I swear I tried my BEST to stay out of this thread and I bet folks were surprised I stayed silent this long.

Just like ZBB could NEVER avoid a Tesla thread!! LOL

Anyway the saga continues. I still have not posted the car on any website and continue to drag my feet.

If any of you long termers here know my history I used to be a serial car flipper like a lot of peeps on this board. The M5 was my 16th or 17th car. Then that all changed.

Even with the $30 to $35K spent in warranty and non-warranty work over the last ten years I still love it and would buy another.

It really is the best car I have ever owned. Would my 20 or 30 something self had said that, ummmm nope. But I am a different person now who values other things in my cars. The driving experience in sublime.

- Perfect NA V8 sounds and reactions (Low end torque and loves to rev).
- Solid as a tank build quality
- Great manual six speed shifter (Available is a BIG 4 door! Hard to find)
- Timeless looks (Subjective I know)
- Super comfortable for 4 adults
- Can actually handle pretty dam well for a 4,000 pound car

The steering does suck but beyond Porsche with the demise of hydraulic units does anyone do good steering anymore?

If and when I get off my ass and actually sell it I will be sad to see it go.

The only thing tugging at me right now is the M2 if only for its smaller size, available manual and great handling.

If you get beyond the bad steering feel you should really drive one.

SARAFIL 09-07-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 536878)
So I swear I tried my BEST to stay out of this thread and I bet folks were surprised I stayed silent this long.

Anyway the saga continues. I still have not posted the car on any website and continue to drag my feet.

If any of you long termers here know my history I used to be a serial car flipper like a lot of peeps on this board. The M5 was my 16th or 17th car. Then that all changed.

Even with the $30 to $35K spent in warranty and non-warranty work over the last ten years I still love it and would buy another.

It really is the best car I have ever owned. Would my 20 or 30 something self had said that, ummmm nope. But I am a different person now who values other things in my cars. The driving experience in sublime.

The steering does suck but beyond Porsche with the demise of hydraulic units does anyone do good steering anymore?

The only thing tugging at me right now is the M2 if only for its smaller size, available manual and great handling.

Just keep dragging your feet on that listing until I’m in the market :)

wdc330i 09-07-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 536878)

I think you should just buy one of the time machine ones. This one was not a horrible price: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

This one is, but what else could you buy with the same money that you would love as much: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

Theo 09-07-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 536905)
I think you should just buy one of the time machine ones. This one was not a horrible price: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

This one is, but what else could you buy with the same money that you would love as much: http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

That first one is actually a decent price. Wow. Tempting. And Lemans. My all time fav E39 M color. Beautiful.