carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   M3 vs. GTI (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=133890)

FC 03-24-2017 09:45 AM

M3 vs. GTI

As you may recall, we were close to getting a GTI when my wife became smitten with the eGolf and the great lease deal made us get it. My wife felt the GTI was too sporty/boyish and it would primarily be her car. Fair enough.

It's early given that the eGolf lease ends in Jan 2019, but as I am hoping to get an M3 (after much waffling) and they go out of production in 2018, we are tentatively planning a potential ED trip for one in June 2018.

The waffling resumes now because while I can talk myself into spending M3 money, there is always a GTI on my shoulder saying "You are not really going to spend over twice as much as I cost on an M3, are you?"

I drove the GTI and liked it. It wasn't perfect but it was quick and fun. Reviews (including reports on reliability) are glowing. That translates into the streets, where GTI's seem to be spawning everywhere. 5 people at work have one. I don't care that much about exclusivity.

The question is: Given that I'd drive it 5k miles per year, and not always in traffic-free country roads, why get an M3 when there is a perfectly good GTI, or worst-case, an R (with the benefit of AWD)?

Admittedly they are in totally different categories, but the ~$35k premium weighs on me. My wife is puzzled by why I'd even consider the GTI (she found it unrefined) and looks forward to the trip to Europe. She is not particularly happy with the M3 price tag but is willing to spend the money. The M3 is a very nice car but also not my "I'd kill someone for it" dream car.

Thoughts?

bren 03-24-2017 09:49 AM

Drive both. Which do you prefer? Can you afford it? Enjoy!

If you were really into being practical or saving money you'd still have the e46 sedan you had like 10 years ago. ;)

wdc330i 03-24-2017 09:59 AM

The M3 may not be your ultimate dream car, but you have been pining for one for a long time. And I don't recall similar pining for the GTI.

So, I would suggest buying the the M3 will ultimately save you money. Because you will not spend the GTI money, plus the correction to get into the M3 you should have bought in the first place.

Plus, your wife has always pined for something a little more upscale/luxurious. She might even prefer the M5.:)

At least that is an outside observer's take...

FC 03-24-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 499568)
Drive both. Which do you prefer? Can you afford it? Enjoy!

If you were really into being practical or saving money you'd still have the e46 sedan you had like 10 years ago. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

bren 03-24-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 499569)
Plus, your wife has always pined for something a little more upscale/luxurious. She might even prefer the M5.:)

Or a "regular" 5 series. Or maybe even a Cadillac. :scream:

Theo 03-24-2017 10:16 AM

CTS-V ��

FC 03-24-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 499569)
The M3 may not be your ultimate dream car, but you have been pining for one for a long time. And I don't recall similar pining for the GTI.

So, I would suggest buying the the M3 will ultimately save you money. Because you will not spend the GTI money, plus the correction to get into the M3 you should have bought in the first place.

At least that is an outside observer's take...

There is something to be said for that. Also, it did happen already. I backed off an E90 M3 at the last minute and got the E91. Then the TT deal came and I could not say no. Had I had the M3, I would have passed on the Turbo. I think my wife learned from that one. And she likes Europe.

FC 03-24-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 499571)
Or a "regular" 5 series. Or maybe even a Cadillac. :scream:

We sat on an ATS-V in the showroom and when all they schintzy blue graphics starting flying around she said, "ugh." Also, she doesn't like angular cars.

Josh (PA) 03-24-2017 10:50 AM

Kids will much prefer the back seat of the M3 over a golf. Less complaining if you want to drive it over the Disco. Why not get a year or two pre-owned M3 comp package for much less than the $35k delta and plan your EU trip outside of having to pick a car up in June?

JST 03-24-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 499579)
Kids will much prefer the back seat of the M3 over a golf. Less complaining if you want to drive it over the Disco. Why not get a year or two pre-owned M3 comp package for much less than the $35k delta and plan your EU trip outside of having to pick a car up in June?

I'm not sure I agree with this. Our Mk VI Golf has more space in the backseat than our old M3 did. I know the F80 M3 is bigger than the E90, but the Mk VII GTI is bigger than our Mk VI, too. There is a reason that FWD cars are seen as being more efficient, from a packaging standpoint.

I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.

FC 03-24-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 499580)
I'm not sure I agree with this. Our Mk VI Golf has more space in the backseat than our old M3 did. I know the F80 M3 is bigger than the E90, but the Mk VII GTI is bigger than our Mk VI, too. There is a reason that FWD cars are seen as being more efficient, from a packaging standpoint.

I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.

I keep forgetting about the Tesla, but I am not sure about the timing. When is it due again? Oh wait, there are 247,984 people in line in front of me for one (I made up that number). I also miss shifting.

I do agree the MK7 is plenty roomy. Certainly ~E46 roomy.

Part of me thinks that the next gen M3 may be a nice one to have, but it could have way too many changes (hybrid? AWD? no stick? crazy heavy?). It's also 4-5 years into the future before I'd get one.

I do have about a year to ponder about this stuff.

wdc330i 03-24-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 499580)

Well, you've had two M3s and FC hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a rite of passage?

I'm actually really happy with the 2, and couldn't fathom choking down the cost of a new M3 or M4. I would have to go 2 or so years used to rationalize it. Also, I drove the 440 convertible and it just wasn't much fun. The 2 still has a little hooligan in it, a la my E46 M3.

It's a shame they don't bring any of the four-door 2 variants over here.

FC 03-24-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 499585)
Well, you've had two M3s and FC hasn't had one yet. Maybe it's a rite of passage?

There is definitely a bit of that.

Theo 03-24-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Since when is there a 2 4 door??

wdc330i 03-24-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499588)
Since when is there a 2 4 door??

Active Tourer and Grand Tourer:
https://www.google.com/search?q=acti...lt-fphLTpgH9M:

And even better, an M140 5-door:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...0i-5-door.html

Theo 03-24-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 499590)

Oooooh. I was thinking a formal sedan. I know there were rumors about it but just vaporware at this point.

Josh (PA) 03-24-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499594)
Oooooh. I was thinking a formal sedan. I know there were rumors about it but just vaporware at this point.

There is a China market only 1 series sedan as well. I wish the 1 hatch was here.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ih1ShrVgr...-Concept-3.jpg

JST 03-24-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

I'm actually really happy with the 2, and couldn't fathom choking down the cost of a new M3 or M4. I would have to go 2 or so years used to rationalize it. Also, I drove the 440 convertible and it just wasn't much fun. The 2 still has a little hooligan in it, a la my E46 M3.

I've had three, actually. But yeah, I get that. It's the same thing that keeps me jonesing for a 911 even though there's no rational reason to buy one.

Re: Tesla Model 3--I suspect that, waiting lists aside, by late 2018 you'll be able to get one without much trouble. But even a CPO Model S might fit your bill.

Here is a production-ready Model 3. Full scale production is supposed to start in June.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-tesla-mode...und-1793607211

Theo 03-24-2017 01:24 PM

I still can't get on board. I guess I'm to old school wanting to hear and feel the car. Sound is a huge part of my driving delight and experience.

FC 03-24-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 499599)
I've had three, actually. But yeah, I get that. It's the same thing that keeps me jonesing for a 911 even though there's no rational reason to buy one.

Re: Tesla Model 3--I suspect that, waiting lists aside, by late 2018 you'll be able to get one without much trouble. But even a CPO Model S might fit your bill.

Here is a production-ready Model 3. Full scale production is supposed to start in June.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-tesla-mode...und-1793607211

Cool Thanks.

Some things that give me pause about the Model 3:

-Isn't it a PITA to deal with bodywork?
-It will be early in the production cycle. Admittedly they learned a lot from the Model S (you'd think), but still.
-My wife is still uneasy about having only one car that has "unlimited" range. Yes, the Model 3 dwarfs the eGolf in terms of range, plus superchargers and all that. But as the kids are older now, the M3 could take her/us to Montreal in comfort for a weekend instead of having t take up the LR4, or in a pinch if the LR4 is not available.
-I'm not in love with the Tesla design language. It's sleek, but not awesome.
-I feel I'll have a lifetime of hybrid or electric cars. Do I want to pass up one of the last good 6MT, IC sedans?

That said, given my commute and the amount of short drives, for all the reasons we like the eGolf, a Tesla would be great. Also, drama-free, awesome acceleration is fun. And I love not having to warm up, etc., etc.

I'd have to see and drive one. I am lucky to have a Tesla dealership ~3 miles from home.

FC 03-24-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499600)
I still can't get on board. I guess I'm to old school wanting to hear and feel the car. Sound is a huge part of my driving delight and experience.

Yes. See my post above.

Jeff_DML 03-24-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh (PA) (Post 499595)
There is a China market only 1 series sedan as well. I wish the 1 hatch was here.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ih1ShrVgr...-Concept-3.jpg

pretty sure that thing is fwd :thumbdow:

Jeff_DML 03-24-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 499602)
Yes. See my post above.

get a E90 6MT and slap on a exhaust , kind of wish I did that since it supposedly sounds bitchin.

zach 03-24-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 499584)
I keep forgetting about the Tesla, but I am not sure about the timing. When is it due again? Oh wait, there are 247,984 people in line in front of me for one (I made up that number). I also miss shifting.

I do agree the MK7 is plenty roomy. Certainly ~E46 roomy.

Part of me thinks that the next gen M3 may be a nice one to have, but it could have way too many changes (hybrid? AWD? no stick? crazy heavy?). It's also 4-5 years into the future before I'd get one.

I do have about a year to ponder about this stuff.

You can have my early model 3 allocation if you want it.

Theo 03-24-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 499606)
get a E90 6MT and slap on a exhaust , kind of wish I did that since it supposedly sounds bitchin.

Coming soon to my driveway. See my marketplace post.

Going to be a long search I think. I want a 13 coupe or a 12 sedan in jeraz or lemans.

My fiend had a coupe with the akrapovic exhaust. The sound at full bore is increadable.

Josh (PA) 03-24-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499609)
Coming soon to my driveway. See my marketplace post.

Going to be a long search I think. I want a 13 coupe or a 12 sedan in jeraz or lemans.

My fiend had a coupe with the akrapovic exhaust. The sound at full bore is increadable.

Have you spent much time in one? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the torque vs power and overall feel coming from your e39.

blee 03-24-2017 03:11 PM

I've purchased four BMWs now, three of them M3s. The newest, the '99, was just off its three-year lease when I bought it in spring 2002, and I thought it was about worth the sale price of $32k. The 'mudgeons here from the JetFest days could probably attest to the condition of that car -- it was just one step down from the showroom floor. I paid less than half that for the other two, and I definitely think I got the best car (for me) for the money. Whether I'm still poor, cheap, or just unwilling to blow cash, I don't know that I'd spend more than twice that amount for a new M3 today.

If you're looking for a new car and you put a premium on value, a new M3 probably isn't the answer. A gently used model, however, is a great deal, and you're not losing much by going back a couple of model years, or even one generation.

Theo 03-24-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blee (Post 499613)
I've purchased four BMWs now, three of them M3s. The newest, the '99, was just off its three-year lease when I bought it in spring 2002, and I thought it was about worth the sale price of $32k. The 'mudgeons here from the JetFest days could probably attest to the condition of that car -- it was just one step down from the showroom floor. I paid less than half that for the other two, and I definitely think I got the best car (for me) for the money. Whether I'm still poor, cheap, or just unwilling to blow cash, I don't know that I'd spend more than twice that amount for a new M3 today.

If you're looking for a new car and you put a premium on value, a new M3 probably isn't the answer. A gently used model, however, is a great deal, and you're not losing much by going back a couple of model years, or even one generation.

This

Out of about the 14 or more cars I have had only 4 have been brand new. I always seen to set a price in my head first then back into it with what's out there to satisfy my itch. One of the reasons I waited this long was for the last years of the E9x M3 sedans and coupes to come near that price point in my head. They are about there now so time to sell.

Back on point I do think FC should get the M3. He's talked about it forever!!

blee 03-24-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499616)
Back on point I do think FC should get the M3.

Oh, definitely. :D

FC 03-24-2017 04:26 PM

You guys are funny.

But I have mentioned getting a used E90 M3 since I always wanted that one. If the perfect LeMans Blue E90 shows up I may pull the trigger.

wdc330i 03-24-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 499627)
You guys are funny.

But I have mentioned getting a used E90 M3 since I always wanted that one. If the perfect LeMans Blue E90 shows up I may pull the trigger.

Agreed that's the best color.

Theo 03-24-2017 04:38 PM

Ugh don't steal the car I'm looking for FC!!!

equ 03-24-2017 05:21 PM

GTI would be a great daily - likely my next one. Everything came together on my 2017 test drive as I wrote above. An m3 and a GTI are apples and oranges. It's not about money. Sometimes you spend more and get something not necessarily better.

The mk7 has more space than the e46 in the back. Fairly sure it has more space than the e90 too.

Nick M3 03-24-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 499634)
GTI would be a great daily - likely my next one. Everything came together on my 2017 test drive as I wrote above. An m3 and a GTI are apples and oranges. It's not about money. Sometimes you spend more and get something not necessarily better.

The mk7 has more space than the e46 in the back. Fairly sure it has more space than the e90 too.

I need to go test drive one.

equ 03-24-2017 05:34 PM

Look for a Sport or an SE so you have the diff. Certainly not all out performance, just a nice, balanced car.

FC 03-24-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo (Post 499629)
Ugh don't steal the car I'm looking for FC!!!

Everytime I hear this, I want an E90.

rumatt 03-24-2017 05:59 PM

M3 vs GTI? And all while you're not excited about the GTI?

And the wife approves of the M3? And will enjoy the trip to Europe? Get one.

I'd test drive it first though, just to make sure you don't hate it.

JST 03-24-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FC (Post 499639)
Everytime I hear this, I want an E90.

The E90 M3 is a terrible around-town car, though. Not because it's big and heavy, though it its a little on the numb side--mostly just because it feels like it's sleeping 98 percent of the time you're driving around. Wind it out to hear that glorious noise and you are going 90 mph at least. Ask yourself: Where around where I live can I do that?

It does sound badass when you start it up (especially when it's cold), but when you're just puttering around town it feels like a big car with light steering and a soft bottom end.

I've said before that the minute I got the Boxster I sort of stopped enjoying the M3, and I stand by that. The Tesla is a little bit the same way, but the place where the Tesla really stands out is low-end, not top-end, so you can access the performance a lot more.

Call me a liar, but I'd rather commute in the Golf R than an E90 M3. The Golf is *fun* at sane speeds--even with a soupcon of lag, the boost builds and hits you before you are going "go to jail" speeds. The E90 M3 isn't fun at those speeds, really.

Plaz 03-24-2017 06:35 PM

I've said it before, while lots of people I've spoken with are gaga over the looks of the M4, I think the 4-door M3 looks better. As I thought with the E46s and E9xs too.

And I would choose an M3 over a GTI with no hesitation.

Plaz 03-24-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 499641)
The E90 M3 is a terrible around-town car, though. Not because it's big and heavy, though it its a little on the numb side--mostly just because it feels like it's sleeping 98 percent of the time you're driving around. Wind it out to hear that glorious noise and you are going 90 mph at least. Ask yourself: Where around where I live can I do that?

It does sound badass when you start it up (especially when it's cold), but when you're just puttering around town it feels like a big car with light steering and a soft bottom end.

I've said before that the minute I got the Boxster I sort of stopped enjoying the M3, and I stand by that. The Tesla is a little bit the same way, but the place where the Tesla really stands out is low-end, not top-end, so you can access the performance a lot more.

Call me a liar, but I'd rather commute in the Golf R than an E90 M3. The Golf is *fun* at sane speeds--even with a soupcon of lag, the boost builds and hits you before you are going "go to jail" speeds. The E90 M3 isn't fun at those speeds, really.

I would guess the new turbo'd M3s alleviate a lot of that perceived uselessness. There's something to be said for turbo-provided low-mid torque.

It's why, even though I have zero non-negligible experience with either, I think I'd prefer the new turbo'd 911s to the previous NA 911s, even though saying that borders on heresy.

Gutlessness at the bottom end around town is one of the big reasons I ended up being so disappointed in the real-world usage of my RX-8 too.