carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buy, sell or hold the V? (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=7201)

lemming 04-24-2006 12:55 PM

Buy, sell or hold the V?

am pondering a simplification of life. the antique has its own destiny, but the V, while a fantastic car, is also highly underutilized by me since all that it sees is stop and go traffic in commuter duty.

i could do well for myself by moving into a more fuel efficient vehicle for commuting since i have on backup the vroom ability.

if i could only have a single car, it would be the V, but as it is, it's just totally underused. thoughts?

rumatt 04-24-2006 12:58 PM

:lol:

Clearly, you need an imola ZHP.

ff 04-24-2006 01:16 PM

What, no lecture from rumatt about getting rid of cars too early? ;)

Sell. Clyde'll put the V through the necessary paces.

lemming 04-24-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff

Sell. Clyde'll put the V through the necessary paces.

my default plan is to hold onto it until october for Snyde or JST or Zack.

clyde 04-24-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming

I know what I said before, but I really wouldn't want or expect you to do so for me since I probably won't buy it. The others? :dunno:

rumatt 04-24-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff

Not unless he tries to argue that getting rid of it now and buying something new will somehow save him money. ;)

rumatt 04-24-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming

Now that's a dedicated 'mudgeon.

ff 04-24-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
Not unless he tries to argue that getting rid of it now and buying something new will somehow save him money. ;)

Except when that argument is used only to justify a reason to buy something else :p

Rob 04-24-2006 02:42 PM

You will never justify the cost of a new car based on fuel mileage. If you want to get rid of the V, fine. Just don't kid yourself that you will be "saving" money by doing it b/c of it's bad gas mileage.

At my commute of 25 miles per day, I think I figured a 3 year break even point on buying a $2000 commuter car at $3/gallon. That's way to long to gamble on it making financial sense imo. I didn't figure in selling the V b/c I wouldn't, but your commuter car wouldn't cost $2k, either.

lemming 04-24-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg
You will never justify the cost of a new car based on fuel mileage. If you want to get rid of the V, fine. Just don't kid yourself that you will be "saving" money by doing it b/c of it's bad gas mileage.

At my commute of 25 miles per day, I think I figured a 3 year break even point on buying a $2000 commuter car at $3/gallon. That's way to long to gamble on it making financial sense imo. I didn't figure in selling the V b/c I wouldn't, but your commuter car wouldn't cost $2k, either.

you know the minute that i drive a "commuter" car that it's a lost cause, i think --the V is one of the slower cars in the household....giving up that sort of "speed flexibility" for gas economy would be hard to swallow. but i'm going to visit the idea.