carmudgeons.com

carmudgeons.com (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/index.php)
-   Perseverators Anonymous (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cayman GTS 4.0 (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=159940)

John V 09-26-2021 07:18 AM

Cayman GTS 4.0

Marisa and I were eating sushi last night and catching up on Youtube when a "first drive" of the GTS 4.0 came up in my feed. Her: "Ooh. What's that?" So I clicked on it and halfway through the review (which was kinda boring) she had the configurator pulled up on Porsche USA. :lol:

I mentioned that this might (but also might not) be the end of the line for the gas-powered Cayman and Boxster and it might (but also might not) be a car that holds its value well.

I've never bought a new car. And the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased (the Ram) with taxes and fees included was still well less than half just the MSRP of the GTS 4.0. But it's fun to play with configurators. And it did get me thinking.

Anyway, this is her spec. I might argue on one of the metallic blues vs. yellow, but she really likes yellow.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNHPCMU7

Only options are:

PZ: Racing Yellow - $0
FZ: Interior in agate gray - $2,160 (this is basically full leather, like our two Boxsters were)
346: Wheels painted in silver - $0
425: Rear wiper - $370

$91,280 before taxes and stuff :lol:. Is it bad that I'm seriously considering?

wdc330i 09-26-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 577458)
Marisa and I were eating sushi last night and catching up on Youtube when a "first drive" of the GTS 4.0 came up in my feed. Her: "Ooh. What's that?" So I clicked on it and halfway through the review (which was kinda boring) she had the configurator pulled up on Porsche USA. :lol:

I mentioned that this might (but also might not) be the end of the line for the gas-powered Cayman and Boxster and it might (but also might not) be a car that holds its value well.

I've never bought a new car. And the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased (the Ram) with taxes and fees included was still well less than half just the MSRP of the GTS 4.0. But it's fun to play with configurators. And it did get me thinking.

Anyway, this is her spec. I might argue on one of the metallic blues vs. yellow, but she really likes yellow.

Only options are:

FZ: Interior in agate gray - $2,160 (this is basically full leather, like our two Boxsters were)

I absolutely think you should go for it. You love cars, and your only new car in recent memory was actually a truck. And this isn’t just any car, it is the car. Buy it and keep it forever, Or sell it when you’re finally ready to retire to that ski resort.

JST 09-26-2021 08:00 AM

I mean really my only question is why Cayman over Boxster?

And thanks for pointing out that you can get the wheels painted silver for no cost—I missed that!

Alan 09-26-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 577458)

Only options are:

For some reason I thought the price was going to be over $100k for that model, at $91k it is not bad but you do know it is going to be a long wait until you can order one so there really isn’t much to think about now, I would put your name on the waiting list and when the time comes then decide if you definitely want to go through with it.

Also keep in mind cars only cost the depreciation plus the dollars you could make on that money invested and conservatively invested money isn’t making anything that wonderful nowadays … yes you still have some maintenance and insurance but you’re going to pay for that on a new $91k car just as you would a $50k used car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 577460)

And thanks for pointing out that you can get the wheels painted silver for no cost—I missed that!

The Cayman visibility is much better then the Boxster which is a big plus but then again i’m not a convertible guy.

FC 09-26-2021 10:41 AM

Personally, I'd always take the 911 in coupe form and would rather have a Boxster over a Cayman unless I track it a lot.

Here's mine: https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PN1G9XI4

Still not sure on color. But it would probably be yellow, white, or red.

I still like the front end of the Spyder A LOT more, but the PITA roof is a killer.

John V 09-26-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 577460)

Because as I said in the other thread I have come to realize I just don't like convertibles that much. Edit: if we lived in Colorado I'd consider a convertible. I just really dislike driving around in a convertible with the top up.. visibility, wind noise, etc ruin the experience. And around here, there are like four days a year that I'd drive with the top down.

Yeah I was really happy to see the no-cost wheel paint options.

Jeff_DML 09-26-2021 10:42 AM

Stock configuration for a Porsche is nice, I basically need no options on it.

John V 09-26-2021 12:34 PM

So, um, does anyone have a relationship with a Porsche dealer that I should explore? I'm not super keen on dealing with Porsche of Silver Spring.

JST 09-26-2021 02:08 PM

Clyde put me in touch with Sam at Porsche Bethesda. I don’t have a relationship with him, but the guy I spoke with at the new Penske store in Chantilly seemed like a straight enough shooter.

Porsche Arlington’s sales department doesn’t fill me with confidence, despite being like a mile from my house.

Note that MD caps doc fees at $500, whereas Va doesn’t appear to have a maximum, so I’d ask what those fees are. Both Bethesda and Chantilly were willing to commit to MSRP deals, plus fees.

lemming 09-26-2021 04:27 PM

I think the GT4 is greater than 100k.

But the GTS is obviously more useable on the street

equ 09-26-2021 05:29 PM

I think it's something to seriously consider. I hope you will do it.

John V 09-26-2021 05:29 PM

Yeah I don't really have interest in a GT4. Like the Cayman R and the 987 Boxster Spyder, I think they're just more annoyance than they're worth for a street car. Marisa says it looks dumb with the rear wiper, so might delete that :lol: She wants a heated steering wheel.

I need to mull it over for a few days.

JST 09-26-2021 05:40 PM

This is my spec, somewhere between the JV “no option” approach and the FC “luxe” build.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJRUZA6

Not sure about color. Red over black is classic. I’m not a super huge fan of the Gentian blue but maybe it would work over red interior?

Would love the full buckets but doubt I’d love living with them.

Josh (PA) 09-26-2021 06:07 PM

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJKRNW6

I wanted to get in on the fun. MIne was $110k

I really like Aventurine and if I ever ordered a car from new, I'd definitely get Cognac/Espresso interior. I'm sure my tastes won't mesh with most of the others here.

wdc330i 09-26-2021 06:16 PM

At this level, I think it’s a bit of a mistake to go stripper. I’d pony up for the better 14-way seats, premium package, ventilated seats, and a few other goodies/creature comforts to make it more comfortable in everyday driving.

Our Boxster came with the roll bars painted the exterior color, and I think it looks really sharp.

Do you have to have Nav to get Porsche Connect and Apple CarPlay??? If not, I’d skip it and carry a map for those areas away from cell service.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYHIPE4

JST 09-26-2021 06:26 PM

I’d like power seats with memory but also I cannot pay 3 thousand American dollars for that feature.

wdc330i 09-26-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 577477)
I’d like power seats with memory but also I cannot pay 3 thousand American dollars for that feature.

I get that. But, if it’s a compromise that rankles forever, I think you bite the bullet. But, it also matters more if there are multiple drivers. Plus, resale.

With the Cayman, does the whole hatch open up?

equ 09-26-2021 06:28 PM

I did one too. The seats are personal and I'm not sure if I would go with 14 or 4 way next time around. I would definitely add premium package (PDLS really helps at night at least on my bi-xenon car). And maybe the overpriced smartphone compartment. Who uses aux?

Not sure on the rear wiper, I rarely needed it on my cayman. Drove in a good amount of rain but no snow. Don't remember wishing too hard, maybe I did and don't have a good memory.

I would also delete model designation on rear, who needs emblems of 718 cayman gts 4.0 a mouthful? Not sure on side decals.

Hmm... you have me thinking here.

wdc330i 09-26-2021 06:35 PM

We should all buy one—whether Boxster or Cayman. And then we can have little rallies every few years.

ZBB 09-26-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdc330i (Post 577480)
We should all buy one—whether Boxster or Cayman. And then we can have little rallies every few years.

:lol:

ZBB 09-26-2021 07:19 PM

Just configured a Boxster. http://www.porsche-code.com/PN65PAU7

John V 09-26-2021 08:11 PM

Premium is tempting but doesn't have any must-haves for us. The only interesting features are PDLS+ and the heated wheel. LCA is a don't care, as is the rest. At $3,500, not hard to pass up.

I wouldn't mind memory seats but as Josh said, I'm not paying $3k for that. I'd prefer manual seats but obviously not an option these days. Between only two drivers (and realistically it'll be me most of the time) memory is not critical. And I definitely don't want the full buckets. Call me soft. The RX-8 has a Kirkey so if I want my fill of brutal power and minimalist seats I've got that.

For $1200, the LED lights with PDLS+ as a standalone option is tempting. Adding the heated wheel adds another $800. Ugh. equ has me thinking.

edit: Marisa says the LED headlights look stupid, so they're out. Heated multifunction wheel is in, as are ventilated seats. Deletion of model designation on the rear as well. Rear wiper is out. Total is just over $92k. Almost seems like a bargain? :lol:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PNPW9WE2

This is fun :)

John V 09-26-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 577482)

Looks nice, but... fire extinguisher? :dunno:

JST 09-26-2021 08:35 PM

Lol yeah I was going to pass on Premium too, because most of it is meh, but I want the good stereo and keyless entry or whatever and at that point the premium package just isn’t that much more.

ZBB 09-26-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 577485)
Looks nice, but... fire extinguisher? :dunno:

I’m combustion averse :lol:

John V 09-26-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JST (Post 577486)
Lol yeah I was going to pass on Premium too, because most of it is meh, but I want the good stereo and keyless entry or whatever and at that point the premium package just isn’t that much more.

The stereo is directly behind you :)

I couldn't figure out from the configurator... do any / all of the stereos have bluetooth audio? Modern car so I'd assume yes, but German, so... :dunno:

No interest in Apple auto or Android carplay or whatever. :lol:

Nick M3 09-26-2021 08:44 PM

I will comment that power seats without memory are WAYYY more annoying than manual seats. Having experienced that in the past, I would never do it again by choice.

Jeff_DML 09-26-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V (Post 577488)
The stereo is directly behind you :)

I couldn't figure out from the configurator... do any / all of the stereos have bluetooth audio? Modern car so I'd assume yes, but German, so... :dunno:

No interest in Apple auto or Android carplay or whatever. :lol:

I would hope Bluetooth is standard, might even get a CD player too:D

Jeff_DML 09-26-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemming (Post 577471)
I think the GT4 is greater than 100k.

But the GTS is obviously more useable on the street

You are right, not much more.

I just watched the Doug D gt3 touring yt video and he said he would take the gt4 over it unless you had obscene amounts of money. GT3 you are losing the rear seats so might as well go mid engine:dunno:

Jeff_DML 09-26-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML (Post 577490)
I would hope Bluetooth is standard, might even get a CD player too:D

From the gt4

Quote:

Audio interfaces: CD/DVD drive, 11 GB internal jukebox storage, 1 USB port, 1 auxiliary port and 2 SD card slots
Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection, using Hands Free Profile (HFP)
:D

wdc330i 09-26-2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBB (Post 577482)

18-way seats. Big spender!

JST 09-26-2021 09:37 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1185...-big-leap.html

This post suggests the Bose is a decent jump up; Burmeister maybe not so much.

JST 09-26-2021 10:23 PM

On colors--I'm a little disappointed by the various options; none of them really jump out and grab me. That metallic green is interesting but not my cup of meat. Poking around I found Gentian blue with gold wheels and that's kind of cool...but I think it's probably too much in real life.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/Gentian%20Blue

Carmine red on the computer is a nicer red than Guards red, but is it worth the extra cost? On Rennbow it actually looks very similar.

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/CarmineRed

https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/GuardsRed

I'd love to get green or orange but as much as these might work on a GT car I think they're a little over the top here.

EDIT: Oh, and the standard seats are manual--at least for up/down and fore/aft. The backrest is electric. Seems like the same setup I have on my car now.

clyde 09-26-2021 10:47 PM

This is an interesting turn of events. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

lemming 09-26-2021 11:03 PM

A new obsession is really fun.

JST 09-26-2021 11:09 PM

I think FC or someone might have posted this Harry Metcalfe vid in one of the other threads, but I'm reposting it here:

Worth a watch.

Also this:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gts-40-review/

Good pics of the metallic green.

equ 09-26-2021 11:10 PM

Yes, I'm generally not fan of Bose stereos, especially sucky in home. The b6 s4 avant bose was 'meh', but I'll say that the porsche bose is a step up, had it in a number. Then again, the cabins of those cars, especially the mid-engined ones, are not concert halls.

The 4-way sports seats are manual seats, bolstered, maybe the seat back is powered, all the rest should be manual. They are the obvious choice for a fit guy/gal who wants to keep the build simple/light. I personally dislike the LWB on a street car. I also think the cayman R & spyder (while I didn't own them, I did many test drives, including at Monticello track-ish) are more street/road friendly than the gt4 (305 mpsc2 e.g.). I wouldn't put all of those cars in the same bucket. I'd expect the gts to come in on that side of things, so it would be my choice whether I did a 718 or a 911.

Or are they front/back power as well? The sports seats used not to be. If so, then I'd go whole hog for the memory, which comes in handy. Secondly, my urban garage is quite narrow making ingress/egress hard as the long door barely opens. The 14 & 18 ways have an automatic comfort feature for entry/exit on the seat and steering.

For kicks, I fired up the 911 config and simply cannot believe the thick layers of bullcrap porsche have come up with to separate fools from their money. New and inventive ways of specifying exorbitant useless options.

lemming 09-26-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 577500)
Yes, I'm generally not fan of Bose stereos, especially sucky in home. The b6 s4 avant bose was 'meh', but I'll say that the porsche bose is a step up, had it in a number. Then again, the cabins of those cars, especially the mid-engined ones, are not concert halls.

The 4-way sports seats are manual seats, bolstered, maybe the seat back is powered, all the rest should be manual. They are the obvious choice for a fit guy/gal who wants to keep the build simple/light. I personally dislike the LWB on a street car. I also think the cayman R & spyder (while I didn't own them, I did many test drives, including at Monticello track-ish) are more street/road friendly than the gt4 (305 mpsc2 e.g.). I wouldn't put all of those cars in the same bucket. I'd expect the gts to come in on that side of things, so it would be my choice whether I did a 718 or a 911.

Or are they front/back power as well? The sports seats used not to be. If so, then I'd go whole hog for the memory, which comes in handy. Secondly, my urban garage is quite narrow making ingress/egress hard as the long door barely opens. The 14 & 18 ways have an automatic comfort feature for entry/exit on the seat and steering.

For kicks, I fired up the 911 config and simply cannot believe the thick layers of bullcrap porsche have come up with to separate fools from their money. New and inventive ways of specifying exorbitant useless options.

The only thing I’d say is that it’s fun to buy a well spec’d Porsche because I always tend to not click the options. But if someone else does, it’s somehow easier for my to pay for them since the car is “as is”.

I just can’t go to the website. I don’t even want the temptation.

John V 09-27-2021 06:54 AM

I think I'd feel physical pain if I paid money to get something made by Bose :D Maybe I need to go listen to a base stereo. Jeff - I found what you posted stating the car comes with Bluetooth, but in prior Porsches that only provided phone (like, calls) connectivity, not audio. Had to add an aftermarket module to any 987 to get Bluetooth audio. It does appear that the 718 has Bluetooth audio.

Good to know the base seats are manual fore-aft. I should have looked. That's really my preference, but it seems so rare these days.

Josh - Gentian is beautiful. I couldn't do it with gold wheels, but with silver wheels and the black, grey (or even brown... but not for me) interior it looks pretty amazing. I'm pretty torn on exterior color and typically that's not something I obsess over. None of the reds pull me in. Oddly I really like white, but Marisa vetoed that right away. After looking at some images, I switched back to the black interior as well.

equ 09-27-2021 07:36 AM

Carrara white metallic and Gentian are both nice. I would go for CWM over regular white as it provides that icy/ghost-like edge. It was my second choice when I configured my gt4, which ultimately was dark blue metallic.

And yes, the tall gearing becomes less of an issue when you have a 3.8 or 4.0 at your disposal. Never felt it "too tall" in the gt4, but never liked that car's exhaust note that much either. Strangely, all other 3.4 and 3.8 981's and 991.1's sound better to me.